making fudge

kyla19, Feb 14, 3:24am
i just wanting some advice for my mother inlaw on what kind of pot to use she wants one that dosent burn is there a specific one you are meant to use? she like aking fudge coconut ice etc for the grandkids

tammiraven, Feb 14, 3:25am
I didnt know there was one? ... .

fruitluva2, Feb 14, 3:36am
Me too but the cooking shouldn't burn as you need to be stirring the mixture and not at a high temperature either. Well it depends on the recipe.

buzzy110, Feb 14, 3:39am
Are you or your mother using gas?

vinee, Feb 14, 3:55am
A thick bottomed pot, I would think.
Not some cheap flimsy thing.

kyla19, Feb 14, 8:27am
do copper pots make a difference and she dosent use gas

dollmakernz, Feb 14, 8:50am
This is a brilliant microwave Russian Fudge
Condensed milk gives this fudge extra richness.
3 cups sugar, ½cup milk, ½ x200g can condensed milk, 2 Tbsp golden syrup
125g butter, cubed. 1 tsp vanilla, ½-1 cup chopped walnuts(optional)
Combine first five ingredients in a high-heat resistant microwave (12 cup capacity) bowl or large saucepan. Microwave on high, stirring every 2 minutes or cook over moderate
heat, stirring continuously, until either mixture forms a soft ball, for about 15 minutes.
Remove from microwave oven or stovetop. Add vanilla and~wa1nuts and beat for 4-5 minutes until mixture starts to thicken. Pour quickly into 20cm pan lined with a strip ofbaking paper. Leave until firm. Tip from pan then cut into squares.

dollmakernz, Feb 14, 8:52am
Microwave Chocolate Fudge

100g butter, cubed. ¼cup milk, 2tsp vanilla essence, 4 cups sifted icing sugar,
½cup cocoa, ½-1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Measure butter, milk, and vanilla into a microwave proof bowl. Add sifted icing sugar and cocoa. Microwave on high for 2 minutes then remove and beat until smooth. Stir in nuts if used. Pour into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper. Refrigerate several hours or freeze. Leave overnight for easiest cutting. Variation: Replace 1tsp vanilla with 1tsp rum essence.

lulu239, Feb 14, 8:17pm
I have S/S saucepans but never use them for fudge. I have kept 2 aluminium pans from way back that I only use for some things that may catch on the bottom. As fruitluva says, keep stirring. I have gas and find it is hard sometimes to get it low enough.

valentino, Feb 14, 8:29pm
I always use my S/S copper based saucepan as it is controlled better and stays more consistent with the heat, mind you, it is about 40 years old and still going excellent.

duckmoon, Feb 15, 2:45am
heavy bottomed... The sugar gets over 100 degrees, so you need something which can stand the heat.

Some saucepans now are only slightly thicker than tin foil - and need to be avoided for sweet making

winnie15, Aug 10, 7:48pm
i did choc fudge this morning in my heavy based saucepan . . it still stuck to the bottom a bit but was ok.