Do it yourself or get catering?

kiran3, Feb 14, 10:24am
I'm expecting about 50 ppl for our farewell party. Catering is a very tempting option, I love what can be done with food now. Most of it though, seems a lot simpler that it looks. Just trying to weigh up. It looks very expensive to get catering, but it may be a better option for a stressfree evening.

talent.scout, Feb 14, 10:37am
to me... 50 people isnt a lot. .

if you arent used to cooking or preparing fiddly food - then maybe go for catering.
Is it dinner, or finger food/supper type catering?

I would do it myself. A lot can be prepared beforehand - and if you have a couple of ladies to help you serve onto platters just prior... then even better... .

gypsy11, Feb 14, 11:50am
All depends on how flash you want the food? Finger foods and plenty of it can be very easy to do! Especially if you have a day in advance to prepare! You could always go to a temp agency and hire a chef! All you would have to do is supply ingredients or you could do all the prep work yourself and get the temp chef to complete the final touches for service!

aktow, Feb 14, 2:38pm
what ever you do never use spotless catering. . really crap tasteless food, i went to a office party and they ordered sandwiches. no expense but a variety. . we got unbuttered bread with super thin ham, bread with super thin beef, cheese sandwich, there was nothing i call good, ,

annie.nz, Feb 14, 6:55pm
It depends, I think, on what you want. If you want to enjoy the party and talk to the people there, then catering may be the best option. On the other hand, if you'd prefer to avoid the function, do it yourself!

It also depends how flash you want the food (if flash and fresh, I do it myself) - and price.

Good luck

griffo4, Feb 14, 8:03pm
Alot of people we know do pot luck we just did a pot luck wedding lunch and it was a great day and everyone raved about how relaxed it was and no stress to us and everyone felt part of it because they brought a plate.
There is so much you can do before hand and put in the fridge or freezer.

jaybee2003, Feb 14, 8:21pm
Do you have friends with senior students or uni age who love food and would like to earn extra money?

One evening for a sit down dinner for 25 at home here, we employed a neighbours daughters, plus one of their friends and the relevant boyfriends. I prepared the food in advance and plated up an example of each course. They waited on the tables, plated the food [heating what needed re-heating], served the table, did the dishes, their boyfriends were the wine waiters.

We sat back and enjoyed our guests and great food, and enjoyed being waited on hand and foot. It was so easy. The students had a fun night, a free meal [and probably a drink or two! ! ]and earned some dosh at the same time. Win win all round.

kiran3, Feb 15, 5:51am
Thank you all for your replies. After reading through the comments. I think I will go with doing it myself. Thanks Gypsy for your suggestions on the mini bun thread, you put into prospective. Thanks Jaybee, I'll look that, that's a great idea, makes it that more special having ppl wait on you. I quite excited about it now, we're having a great musician play for the night aswell. It's going to be great. :)

ruby19, Feb 15, 9:04pm
I catered my husbands 40th, where we had a crowd of 45 - 50 at home. I served bought spring rolls, samosas with home made onion bahjees`& mini papadoms, witha mango chutney ( made ahead of time & reheated) served with a garlic & yogurt sauce, chilli coriander corn fritters with guacamole (again made ahead re-heated, bought mini pies withgood old tom sauce
(biggest hit with the men) Platter of sushi, crostini with creamy mushroom & parmesan topping. This was handed out earlier in the evening. Then had a ham on the bone, fresh bread rolls and salad set up later so people could help themselves, and assortment of mustard chutneys etc. This seemed to work quite well, and probably mopped up alot of the alcohol. With the platters people were quite happy to wander around passing the food.

kat197, Feb 16, 12:05am
This is really encouraging with great ideas im planning my daughters 21st and are really stumped for what to do and the ideas are similar too what ruby suggested but im catering for 100 it all seems a bit daunting but cant afford a caterer . did anyone do dessert? ?

duckmoon, Feb 16, 1:17am
I have had hubby's work-do at our house in recent years. Generally around 35 people.

I used to get a caterer to do salads for 35... But it was averaging $5 per head - I decided it wasn't worth it.

rarogal, Feb 16, 1:50am
Kat I did dessert for my daughter's 21st - a supper much along the lines of those mentioned above. For dessert we had lamingtons, brandy snaps & fruit kebabs.

ruby19, Aug 11, 10:02am
Kat make up some rich chocolate slices and cube into small peices, truffles, even bowls of lollies, I found most people weren`t interested in desert.