COOKING CLASS 101.

Page 1 / 20
valentino, May 14, 10:58pm
Bumped... . =^. ^=

fruitluva2, Jun 11, 10:32am
up top ***

kiricat, Jun 12, 7:28pm
#290 Mashed potato Add all of that and a cup of grated tasty cheese and a tablespoon of dried parsley to tatties. Yumm! (Use enough milk to make them creamy, rather than stodgy)

wron, Jun 27, 11:29am
Back we go Bump!

jenna68, Jun 30, 4:51pm
b... b

jenna68, Jul 14, 7:35am
c... c

valentino, Jul 16, 5:00am
Bumping for tarshlove to share... =^. ^=... . .

computermagic, Jul 21, 7:54am
H not a recipe but a question I have been sent some recipes for a Crockpot. However, I have a slow cooker can I use the recipes that I have been sent? What is the difference between a crockpot & a slow cooker? I know stupid question but I am a male!

cautis, Jul 21, 8:41am
Slow cookers and crock pots are the same thing, so you'll be fine!

valentino, Aug 16, 11:30pm
=^. ^= ... . .

valentino, Aug 23, 9:12pm
Great thread this... Worth keeping.

valentino, Aug 25, 7:25pm
Bumping for eady2 to peruse... a newly wed wanting easy to start ideas and recipes. Cheers.

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:33pm
This thread is for anyone to put in tried and true recipes for those just starting out cooking or those wh o are not quite so confident when it comes to cooking. It covers "basics" and some common recipes that people ask for all the time. So, please share. I will start the ball rolling with a good basic pan gravy.

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:37pm
A good gravy 4 tbsp plain flour; 3 1/2 cups water;4 beef stock cubes;salt & pepper. Remove roast meat from roasting pan and keep warm. Place baking dish on top of stove over med heat. Bring pan drippings to the boil, reduce heat and simmer till all juices have evaporated and only fat remains. Pour off excess fat -leaving approx 6 tbsp of fat. Leave dish over med heat, add flour, stir until combined with fat. cont... .

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:40pm
Remove baking dish from heat add water, all at once, stirring constantly (I often use a whisk)Continue stirring till flour and water are combined;add crumbled stock cubes. Return baking dish to heat, stir till sauce boils and thickens. Season with salt & pepper. Simmer uncovered for about three minutes. This will serve six. As a tip -for a light gravy, I add a little white wine and for a dark gravy a little red wine. I also use the vegetable water.

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:45pm
French Fried Onion Rings 4 onions;1 cup plain flour;1 cup milk;1 egg;1/4 tsp salt;oil for deep frying. Peel onions and slice thinly, separate into rings. Put in a bowl and add the milk, let stand for one hour. Drain, reserve the milk. This is opreliminary soaking the milk takes any sharpness from the onions, making them milder in flavour. Beat egg well, beat in reserved milk, salt and sifted flour. Dip each onion ring into batter & drop into hot oil, a few rings at a time, so heat does not decrease. Drain well and sprinkle with salt.

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:51pm
Caramel Sauce A lovely rich dessert sauce-serve warm or cold over icecream or fruit. 125g butter;1 cup brown sugar, lightly packed;1 cup water;2 tbsp golden syrup;1 1/2 tbsp cornflour;1/4 cup cream. Combine butter 7 sugar in saucepan, stir over low heat until butter melts & sugar dissolves and mix turns to a thick syrup;bring to boil, reduce hat, simmer 3 mins. cont... .

brianmac, Aug 29, 10:53pm
Combine water, golden syrup and cornflour, mix until smooth, add to brown sugar mix, stir until smooth. Bring to the boil, reduce heat, simmer 2 mins. Remove from heat, stir in cream. Makes approx 1 1/2 cups.

brianmac, Aug 29, 11:02pm
How to roast a chicken 1x chicken;prepared stuffing;60g butter;1 cup water;1x chicken stock cube;salt & pepper. If using stuffing, fill this loosely into chicken as it will swell during cooking. Secure vent with a small skewer (if not using stuffing, throw a lemon inside. ) Put chicken into roasting dish, rub well with softened butter(especially on the breast and legs) add salt & pepper. cont... .

brianmac, Aug 29, 11:07pm
Add water & crumbled stock cube to pan Roast in mod hot oven for 30 mins, thwen brush chicken well with pan juices. Move chicken around a little in the pan so the skin does not stick during cooking. Add an extra 1/2 cup of water to the pan if water evaporates too quickly. Continue cooking until chicken is tender;allow approx 1 1/2 hours for a 1. 5 kg chicken. Brush with juices about every 15 minutes. Twice, during cooking time(if not using stuffin) tilt chicken so that any water in the cavity runs out (the water slows down cooking time)To test if cooked, pierce with skewer at the thick second Joint(just near the leg)-juices should run clear, not pink, the skin will start to shrink slightly from the bones cont... .

brianmac, Aug 29, 11:09pm
Additional flavourings can be added toward the end og the cooking time. For Chinese roast chicken, add combined 1/2 cup dry sherry, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp grated green ginger and i tbsp of honey to pan during the last 15 mins of cooking time. Brush chicken frequently with pan drippings.

cgvl, Aug 29, 11:58pm
Quick easy no mess Pumpkin soup: In a large pot saute 1 finely chopped onion in a little oil/butter until soft add water and chopped pumpkin and Boil until the pumpkin is soft, drain (reserve liquid) and mash add some of the reserved liquid back into pot, add enough milk to give desired thickness of soup. season to taste with salt and pepper. add a little grated nutmeg on top. Amount of pumpkin is I allow 1 piece of pumpkin per person about the same size as I would do if boiling or roasting, tastes nicest using buttercup pumpkins although can use any sort.

cgvl, Aug 30, 12:04am
Easy casserole chops or Steak 6 neck or leg chops or 500gm braising/stewing steak. 1 onion chopped, 1 tablespoon of plain flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1tablespoon vinegar, 1tablespoon Tomato Sauce, 1/2teaspoon curry powder, 1/2teaspoon mustard, salt and peeper to taste and 1/2-1cup of water. Put all the ingredients into a casserole dish or slowcooker/crockpot and cook at 150-180C for at least 2 hours. If using crockpot use the smaller amount of water.

brianmac, Aug 30, 12:18am
Basic white sauce (bechamel sauce) this basic white sauce can have things aded to it for different dishes. Cheese, for a lasagne, parsley, for fish, onion for corned beef etc.
1 cup milk;1/2 bay leaf;1 slice onion;5 black peppercorns;1 small peice celery, 1 blade of mace;30g butter;salt & freshly ground pepper;nutmeg. Heat milk with bayleaf, onion, peppercorns, cele-
ry & mace in a small saucepan until bubbles form around the edge. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 20 mins. Wipe out saucepan, melt butter in it. Stir in flour, stir over low heat 1 minute cont... .

brianmac, Aug 30, 12:23am
Remove from heat and cool a little then add strained milk, stir until smooth. Return to medium heat and stir constantly until bloiling. Lower heat and cook gently 5 mins. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. This recipe makes a coating sauce-the right consistency for covering food in the dish in which it is to be served. For a flowing sauce to be used seperately, follow recipe but use only 1 tbsp flour. For a cheese sauce, add 30g of parmesan or sharp cheddar cheese and a pinch of dry mustard. or add 2 tbsp of finely chopped parsley and a few drops of lemon juice for parsley sauce.