Savoury Mince ideas please....

charlieb2, Feb 16, 4:06am
What do you add to your mince to add a bit of flavour... . . ?

510, Feb 16, 4:27am
I do one sometimes that has 1Tbspn relish 1 Tbspn with tomato sauce, to 2 tbspn flour any vegiessome people like 1 cube of beef stock, can also just add curryor speces etcasa flavouring. Sometimes I thicken with cornflour or arrow root. it all depends on the on what your taste is.

doug57, Feb 16, 4:36am
Chopped onion, garlic, tinned chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, mixed herbs, worcestshire sauce. . depends what sort of flavour you're after. If in an absolute rush to make something I've used maggi's mince cottage pie mix [gasp! ] and everyone liked that! [I just added tin tomatoes and 1/2 bag frozen mixed veg. . twas a real rush dinner! lol]

fisher, Feb 16, 4:39am
Some of the following. .
beef oxo cubes. . onion finely diced. . marmite/vegemite. . frozen peas. . precooked carrot pieces. . worcestershire sauce. . salt and pepper. . Crushed garlic. . Maggi Oxtail soup. . Maggi Mushroom soup. . sliced mushroom. . celery very fine sliced. . tomato paste. . mixed herbs. . parsley. . curry powder

beaker59, Feb 16, 4:48am
Main thing is to get the technique right. Brown the mince well first is the key start with a hot saucepan with some oil in the bottom add the mince in small batches and actually fry it while stirring. Things to add after that depend really on what you have but things I would add most times are tin of tomatoes chopped onion and garlic fresh rosemary, thyme, sage basil sometimes I might add fresh ginger finely chopped, chilli or Thai red curry paste, fish sauce, soy sauce other spicesafter that its seasoning get the salt levels right. I then thicken with cornflower mixed into a little water and stir while adding

charlieb2, Feb 16, 5:09am
Thanks for the ideas all! ! ! Will make a note to try next time...

Have just come back after dinner to see your suggestions... . .

Have found sometimes its a little bland, so wanted some suggestions, its such a quick 'budget' meal! !

Tonight's was quite tasty... . I ended up with

Onion and garlic fried in butter (eek) then fried the mince... added lump of vegemite and sploshed around the worcestershire sauce. Tin of chopped toms, 3 grated zucchini and 2 grated carrots , about 1 teaspoon of curry powder... (think that was it)

Very tasty with new spuds from the garden!

lythande1, Feb 16, 6:10am
Add to the mince? ? Everything, I never have yet made a mince meal that didn't have loads of other ingredients in it. What exactly, depends on the recipe.
The plainest mince thing I make is Pasties, and that still has a pinch of favourite herbs and soya sauce in it.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:26am
Ming Ling meal in a pot

1kg. Mince
1 large Apple, peeled and chopped
1/2 Tbsp. Curry Powder
2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
4 cups Water
1 packet Chicken Noodle Soup
2 Onions, chopped
1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Tomato Sauce
3 Tbsp. uncooked Rice
3 Carrots, grated
1 Cabbage, chopped fine

Brown mince and onions in a large pot.
Add apple, sugar, curry, sauces, rice and water and boil 15 minutes.
Add carrot, soup and cabbage.
Mix in well and cook another 15 minutes.

Serve with warm crisp rolls.

theanimal1, Feb 16, 6:27am
rolled meat loaf

500g mince 1 egg 1 teaspoon soy sauce 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs OR 1/2 cup rolled oats 1/2 teaspoon mixed herbs 1 small onion finely chopped FILLING 2 boiled eggs 3/4 cup grated cheese TOPPING 1/2 cup tomato sauce 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 tablespoon vinegar 1. In a large bowl beat egg and add rest of ingredients. 2. Mix thoroughly, (your hand is a good tool here). 3. Spread out a sheet of greasproof paper about 30cm x 20cm and smooth out meat mixture to fit. 4. Cut eggs in quarters longways and put in a line across long side of meat nearest you, 5. Scatter cheese over. 6. Using paper to help you, roll up meat like a sponge roll, place on a baking dish with sides seam side down. 7. Mix topping ingredients and cover loaf. 8. Bake for about 1 hour at 180º.

vtired, Feb 16, 11:44pm
Put 25g butter in frypan and melt, add chopped onion and crushed garlic clove and 500g mince and 1tsp dried mixed herbs, cook until browned, sprinkle 2tblsp flour over and cook 1 min, add 1 cup water that has had a beef stk cube dissolved in it, 3 tblsps tom sauce and a dash worcester sce, cook 15-20 mins w lid on stirring every now and then. Adjust seasoning w S & P. This is a very nice dark flavoursome quick savoury mince which you can play with by adding curry powder, vege etc whatever your heart desires or simply serve on hot buttered toast or mash spud.

daleaway, Aug 13, 6:18pm
Last night for a quick-and-dirty dinner we had mince done with onions and zucchini with a tin of chilli beans added. Served on spiral pasta with rainbow chard and a sprinkling of parmesan. Darned nice too. So easy that husbands can make it (and did).