Breakfast Muffins

kaylin, Jun 6, 9:53am
I have two teenage girls that arent keen on breakfast in the mornings - so am keen for muffin recipes that i can make. I read of an apple bran muffin recipe whereby you made the mixture and it would last in the fridge for a week. You simply poured some into a muffin pan and cooked it for 15 minutes in the morning, and voila!

Please can i have ideas for quick breakfast ideas for teens (and their mums) on the run! !

bex32, Jun 6, 10:50am
Smoothies - Fruit, yoghurt & milk. Can add rolled oats or something like that if you like. My tip is keep peeled bananas in the freezer and then you can just take one out as you need it for the smoothie and it makes it cold and creamier and no need to add ice. Also a great way to keep bananas before they get too ripe.

kate777, Jun 6, 11:17am
I could give you an apple bran recipe that works days after making the raw mixture, but I guess the question is: why don't your teens want to eat breakfast?

I would hazard a guess that it's more a weight loss/maintenance reason so any muffin, even apple bran might not be well received or the best idea.

Maybe if you maintain a decent fruit bowl with a good variety of fruit and encourage them to have a couple of pieces for breakfast you might have better luck? Easily eaten on the run, very good for you, no fat, easily digested sugar source... you can't get better than fruit.

kaylin, Jun 6, 7:57pm
Thanks kate. I had exactly the same problem as a teen growing up - preferring to get an extra few minutes of sleep rather than eat. Also with growing pains, my jaw hurt too much to chew hard stuff (like toast), and too sensitive to eat cold food (like cereal). On pony club camp there were DOZENS of girls with the same non-breakfast preference and the muffins were a huge hit. Its definately not a weight issue! Smoothies are a good idea - thanks Bex, they don't require chewing and the cold misses the teeth and goes down the throat! lol

pam.delilah, Jun 7, 12:28am
Bulk Bran Muffins.

Thisrecipe makes about three dozen regular muffins. You can refrigerate the cooked mixture for up to two weeks, cooking them as required. As the muffins can be microwaved, hungry children can cook their own muffins from the refrigerated mixture.

Y2 cup treacle
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup baking bran (wheat bran) .
1 cup boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups milk
2 cups standard (plain) flour
1 cup oat bran
1 Y2 tsp baking soda

Heat oven to 220°C (210°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
Measure the treacle, rolled oats and baking bran into a large bowl. Pour over boiling water and stir until treacle and oats are mixed. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then add the brown sugar, vinegar, salt and eggs.
Beat with a fork to combine eggs.
Add the milk and then the flour, oat bran and baking soda, previously forked together. Stir only enough to combine (see page 90).
Spray muffin pans with non-stick spray. Put about 1/4 cup of mixture in to each ¬muffin cup.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until muffins spring back when pressed.

OR Microwave in paper cases in microwave muffin moulds, for about 2 minutes on High (100%) power for 5 muffins. Microwave ovens vary ¬experiment with the first few batches you make until you know the exact taken by your microwave oven. Always leave to stand for a few minutes before removing muffins from pans. .
YIELD: 36 regular or 72 mini muffins. SERVE: Warm for breakfast, brunch
coffee, in lunches or after school.
Serve microwaved muffins within 30 minutes of cooking.

pam.delilah, Jun 7, 12:29am
another

Oaty refrigerate low fat muffins

Treacle gives these muffins a rich flavour, as well as enough colour to enable them to be microwaved. You can refrigerate the uncooked mixture for a week if you prefer to enjoy just a few freshly baked muffins each day.

1/2 cup treacle
11/2 cups baking bran (wheat bran) 1 cup boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
1;2 cup wheatgerm
11;2 tsp baking soda

Measure the treacle and bran into a large bowl. Pour over the boiling water and mix until combined.
Cool for about 5 minutes.
Add the sugar, wine vinegar, salt, eggs and milk and beat well with a fork.
In another bowl toss together the next five ingredients with a fork, mixing them well. Tip in the liquid ingredients and fold everything together, stirring only enough to combine (see page 90). Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to a week before baking.
Without further mixing, spoon mixture, as required, into lightly buttered or well sprayed muffin pans.
Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until the centres spring back when
pressed. 'Refrigerate unused mixture promptly. To microwave 4 muffins, spoon V4 cup of mixture into Teflon lined glass ram ekins, cover with cling film pierced with several holes, and cook on High (100%) power for 2 minutes or until firm.

Microwaved muffins have their limitations, but they are convenient when only a few muffins are required.

YIELD: About 30 regular muffins. SERVE: Warm, soon after cooking, for breakfast, morning coffee or brunch.

happygabi, Jan 21, 10:35pm
mmm apple and bran ones sound great, i have a 10 year old who is hell to get eating breakfast so this could help. and no its def not a weight thing with her, she just takes ages to wake up lol.

kaylin, Jun 6, 9:53am
I have two teenage girls that arent keen on breakfast in the mornings - so am keen for muffin recipes that i can make.I read of an apple bran muffin recipe whereby you made the mixture and it would last in the fridge for a week.You simply poured some into a muffin pan and cooked it for 15 minutes in the morning, and voila!

Please can i have ideas for quick breakfast ideas for teens (and their mums) on the run!

bex32, Jun 6, 10:50am
Smoothies - Fruit, yoghurt & milk. Can add rolled oats or something like that if you like. My tip is keep peeled bananas in the freezer and then you can just take one out as you need it for the smoothie and it makes it cold and creamier and no need to add ice. Also a great way to keep bananas before they get too ripe.

kate777, Jun 6, 11:17am
I could give you an apple bran recipe that works days after making the raw mixture, but I guess the question is: why don't your teens want to eat breakfast!

I would hazard a guess that it's more a weight loss/maintenance reason so any muffin, even apple bran might not be well received or the best idea.

Maybe if you maintain a decent fruit bowl with a good variety of fruit and encourage them to have a couple of pieces for breakfast you might have better luck! Easily eaten on the run, very good for you, no fat, easily digested sugar source. you can't get better than fruit.

kaylin, Jun 6, 7:57pm
Thanks kate.I had exactly the same problem as a teen growing up - preferring to get an extra few minutes of sleep rather than eat.Also with growing pains, my jaw hurt too much to chew hard stuff (like toast), and too sensitive to eat cold food (like cereal). On pony club camp there were DOZENS of girls with the same non-breakfast preference and the muffins were a huge hit.Its definately not a weight issue!Smoothies are a good idea - thanks Bex, they don't require chewing and the cold misses the teeth and goes down the throat! lol

pam.delilah, Jun 7, 12:28am
Bulk Bran Muffins.

Thisrecipe makes about three dozen regular muffins. You can refrigerate the cooked mixture for up to two weeks, cooking them as required. As the muffins can be microwaved, hungry children can cook their own muffins from the refrigerated mixture.

Y2 cup treacle
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup baking bran (wheat bran) .
1 cup boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup oat bran
1 Y2 tsp baking soda

Heat oven to 220°C (210°C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
Measure the treacle, rolled oats and baking bran into a large bowl. Pour over boiling water and stir until treacle and oats are mixed. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then add the brown sugar, vinegar, salt and eggs.
Beat with a fork to combine eggs.
Add the milk and then the flour, oat bran and baking soda, previously forked together. Stir only enough to combine (see page 90).
Spray muffin pans with non-stick spray. Put about 1/4 cup of mixture in to each ¬muffin cup.

Bake for about 10 minutes, until muffins spring back when pressed.

OR Microwave in paper cases in microwave muffin moulds, for about 2 minutes on High (100%) power for 5 muffins. Microwave ovens vary ¬experiment with the first few batches you make until you know the exact taken by your microwave oven. Always leave to stand for a few minutes before removing muffins from pans. .
YIELD: 36 regular or 72 mini muffins. SERVE: Warm for breakfast, brunch
coffee, in lunches or after school.
Serve microwaved muffins within 30 minutes of cooking.

pam.delilah, Jun 7, 12:29am
another

Oaty refrigerate low fat muffins

Treacle gives these muffins a rich flavour, as well as enough colour to enable them to be microwaved. You can refrigerate the uncooked mixture for a week if you prefer to enjoy just a few freshly baked muffins each day.

1/2 cup treacle
11/2 cups baking bran (wheat bran) 1 cup boiling water
1 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp wine vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups milk
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup oat bran
1;2 cup wheatgerm
11;2 tsp baking soda

Measure the treacle and bran into a large bowl. Pour over the boiling water and mix until combined.
Cool for about 5 minutes.
Add the sugar, wine vinegar, salt, eggs and milk and beat well with a fork.
In another bowl toss together the next five ingredients with a fork, mixing them well. Tip in the liquid ingredients and fold everything together, stirring only enough to combine . Cover and refrigerate overnight or for up to a week before baking.
Without further mixing, spoon mixture, as required, into lightly buttered or well sprayed muffin pans.
Bake at 200°C for 10-15 minutes or until the centres spring back when
pressed. 'Refrigerate unused mixture promptly. To microwave 4 muffins, spoon V4 cup of mixture into Teflon lined glass ramekins, cover with cling film pierced with several holes, and cook on High (100%) power for 2 minutes or until firm.

Microwaved muffins have their limitations, but they are convenient when only a few muffins are required.

YIELD: About 30 regular muffins. SERVE: Warm, soon after cooking, for breakfast, morning coffee or brunch.