Ocean themed baking-any ideas?

prendy1, Feb 11, 5:31am
My daughter's class is having a bake sale to raise funds for a snorkelling trip. Everything needs to have an ocean/beach/snorkelling theme. I have thought of jelly boats and starfish biscuits, but would love some ideas from all the creative bakers out there! Obviously it needs to be something that can be sold from a stall easily so preferably no fiddly bits like spoons or cups. Thanks for your help!

chrisynz, Feb 11, 5:40am
cut out fish shaped biscuits. . also guess how many chocolate fish(wee ones) are in a Jar... (as a raffle)

chrisynz, Feb 11, 5:43am
*Sea Shell Snacks: Fill sea shells with various snacks like nuts, chocolate chips, shredded coconut, fish-shaped crackers, banana chips, dried fruit pieces, etc.

chrisynz, Feb 11, 5:45am
cup cakes. . with blue icing an lollies stuck on them (sea shape ones. . ie, fish or star fish. . )

rainrain1, Feb 11, 5:46am
Do you have access to some paua shells? You could cover the smalll holes withe tapeand set jelly in them, or serve some other food in them

chrisynz, Feb 11, 5:46am
Making a Fish Shaped Cake

This great-looking cake is made from a single 9" square baking pan. It just needs to be cut up, arranged, and frosted! Here's how to make a fish-shaped cut-up cake:

1. Bake a 9" square cake and let it cool.
2. From one corner, measure 5 inches along one side and 5. 5 inches along the other. Cut on a curve through the points. (In other words, cut a football shape diagonally through the center of the square. )
3. Remove the "football" shape. This will later become the fish's body.
4. Remove one of the remaining triangular-shaped pieces. This will become the fish's tail.
5. Take the remaining piece and cut in half to make two fins.
6. Arrange the pieces and frost. Cover with sugar-crystal sprinkles to make the fish shimmery. Add bubbles made out of Lifesaver candies to the serving platter and use another Lifesaver for an eye.

rainrain1, Feb 11, 5:47am
Oh I see it's baking you want... then I know nothing :-)

chrisynz, Feb 11, 5:51am
http://nyonyapendekmelaka. blogspot.com/2009/06/ocean-theme-b
irthday-cupcakes.html... . look here for ideas to decorate cup cakes

pam.delilah, Feb 11, 5:53am
Taste of the Beach Cupcakes

Add Blue food coloring to one bowl of cupcake batter until it's the desired color blue (let batter sit a few minutes to stiffen).
Bake cupcakes
Crush plain biscuits, eg wine biscuits, to fine consistency.
When cold, ice ½ the cupcake with white butter cream and sprinkle with biscuit crumbs (the beach).
Then ice the other side with blue butter icing (the sea) and garnish with two mini fish

Frog CUP CAKES
12 Cupcakes - any recipe,
butter icing
green food coloring
1 pkt marshmallows
1 pkt jubes (need green and red)
1 pkt miniature marshmallows
licorice strips black
decorating gel

1. Color the icing to a bright green shade.
2. Cover each cake with the green icing.

White Eyed Frog
A. Cut a side off each marshmallow, so that they will sit flat. Position at top of cake. B. Pipe a small amount of black gel in the middle of each marshmallow.
C. Pipe a small amount of black gel on the cake as a nose.
D. Cut a slither off a red jube and position as the mouth.

Green Eyed Frog A. Using a small amount of icing, attach the miniature marshmallow to each green jube.
B. Cut a small slither of licorice and push this into the middle of the marshmallow
C. Gently push two green jubes into the top of each cake.
D. Cut another slither of licorice and position as the mouth.

pam.delilah, Feb 11, 5:57am
Mock Sushi
1/4 cup butter
4 cups mini marshmallows
6 cups rice bubbles
20 to 25 gummy worms
fruit leather

1. Grease a 12- by 17-inch baking pan.

2. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.

3. Add the marshmallows and stir until smooth.

4. Remove mixture from heat and stir in the rice bubbles until it's evenly coated.

5. Turn the baking sheet so that the shorter ends are at the top and bottom. Then press the marshmallow mixture on the sheet, distributing it evenly.

6. Starting at one side and 1 inch up from the lower edge, place gummy worms atop the mixture end to end in a horizontal line.

7. Gently roll the lower edge of the marshmallow mixture over the gummy worms.

8. Then stop and cut the log away from the rest of the mixture. Use the same method for 4 more logs.

9. Slice each log in 1-inch-thick "sushi" rolls and wrap them individually with a strip of fruit leather.

prendy1, Feb 11, 6:21am
Thanks for all these great ideas folks, will definitely use some of them.

vinee, Feb 11, 6:25am
Sweet sushi - HELLO! cool.
You can (or used too) get boat shaped tins for pastry. The had a name, I can't remember what, something ettes.
They could be filled with lemon curd, ganache, custard, fruit ... and then a toothpick flag poked into it.

prendy1, Feb 11, 6:29am
Great idea! I love the beach cupcakes too, I'm sure they would be the only ones on the stall.

ferita, Feb 11, 6:29am
http://images. google.com/images? &q=kooki+sushi

These are all sweet sushi pictures. Kooki sushi was a shop in the USA that used to sell dessert sushi till it closed down

prendy1, Feb 16, 6:28am
Have just made the beach biscuits and they look great! I rolled the white icing in biscuit crumbs, iced the other half blu/green then sprinkled coconut and castor sugar around the edge of the sea to look like foam. They look just like a beach and I'm sure they'll be a huge hit. Thanks for your ideas.

winnie231, Aug 12, 1:43am
You could get creative with savoury muffins using spinach or silver beet and fresh herbs to give a nice 'green' colour & call them Neptunes nibbles/cakes/snacks/...