Peeling Pumpkin???

jimminette, Jun 2, 9:34pm
You would have thought they'd have invented an easier way of peeling pumpkins than with potato peeler. Or am I missing something? ? ? ? ? ?

margyr, Jun 2, 9:36pm
i use a knife, hate potato peelers.

sammie55, Jun 2, 9:37pm
Ipart cook mine in the Microwave first, makes it so easy !

pickles7, Jun 2, 9:45pm
Don't peel it, simple as that.

cookessentials, Jun 2, 9:49pm
I cut the amount I want and cut into decent size pieces. I then pop it into a glass dish with about 1tbsp water, cover with clingfilm and microwave. When it is cool enough, i slice off the skin. i do this when i am using it for my pumpkin loaves or pumpkin pie and even if i am mashing it-this way it is ready cooked and i then mash with salt pepper, butter and nutmeg.

kiwitrish, Jun 2, 10:35pm
When making soup I put the whole pumpkin in microwave on high for about 10 mins. Dead easy to peel then.

lilyfield, Jun 3, 12:51am
don't peel any= you can eat it . in soup wizz with peel-no traces to be found.

And if you really have to-- the swiss vegie peelers are perfect for it

uli, Jun 3, 2:36am
Hmmm - depends on the pumpkin. My long storage pumpkins have a very thick hard skin - you would definitely have little hard pieces in the soup - and it looks like shredded plastic wrap too LOL :)

edited to say that I use a normal knife to peel pumpkin if I need peeled pieces, otherwise I roast with peel on and peel at the table while eating.

ams7, Jun 3, 8:47am
The tupperware peeler peels pumpkin.

fisher, Jun 3, 11:23pm
I do the same uli. . find it pretty simple with a chopper rather than a knife. . slice pumpkin into required sizes. . turn on their side and slice the peel off. . prefer steaming than boiling, retains flavour and goodness. . Roast with skin on for better flavour and to avoid mush...

jimminette, Jun 6, 7:09pm
Thanks people - was making a pumpkin pasta which required the onions to cook just in butter for ages and then you added the finely chopped pumpkin and cooked until mushy. Couldn't believe it would work without adding liquid but it cooked to a mush without burning. (low heat of course) and end recipe was yum. Wasn't a big pumpkin but microwaving for a bit might be the solution next time.

oopie, Jun 6, 7:56pm
Jimminette,

I would grate the pumpkin instead of finely chopping.

jimminette, Jun 8, 3:29am
You would think I would have thought of that. Thanks.

2smudge2, Jul 18, 3:58pm
I second the Tupperware peeler.