MY NEW RUMPOT

korbo, Feb 14, 8:19am
as some of you will know, i have been very passionate about making this, and had to throw out the first one, which was made up of berries and rum. the berries started to fermet.
not to be outdone, i started another, and have been adding peaches and nectarines. all varieties, and touch wood... . . so far... . so good. i have filled the jar and tempted to start another one... . .
only trouble, with our heated weather at present, it is hard to find a cool place to store, and have a feeling the fridge is not where to put it... . . any ideas... .

cookessentials, Feb 14, 6:47pm
layer of news paper on the wardrobe floor or somehwere in the laundry or bathroom.

amazing_grace, Feb 14, 10:53pm
I keep ours in the fridge... we know it as Rumtopf, and I dont like it with soft fruit in it, we just use berries. However so long as you have your sugar/alcohol/fruit percentages right, it should keep anywhere...

korbo, Feb 16, 10:34am
amaz... maybe i just didnt do the berries right. can u expand a bit more on how u do it. thanks.

amazing_grace, Feb 16, 6:31pm
Ok. . first I start with strawberries usually... whichever berry is ready in the garden first... weigh them and weigh out an equal amount of sugar. Put the fruit in a bowl and add the sugar. Leave overnight, you will get lots of fruit syrup. Put into the Rumtopf jar or similar, an earthenware is better than glass as you dont want light in. Old wide mouthed earthenware are great. Fill with rum till the fruit is covered and floating. Every time a new berry is ready add straight to the Rumtopf together with a 1/2 of their weight in sugar. Keep in fridge, eat whenever you like, with icecream or cream. Lovely drizzled over puddings. The English call it "Gentleman's Jam"

amazing_grace, Feb 16, 6:33pm
That's how my English motherinlaw taught me to do it, she makes it every year wthout fail! and she has a Mulberry tree, and the mulberries are amazing in it!

amazing_grace, Aug 12, 7:09pm
Oh, I forgot to say, keep adding rum to keep the fruit covered with it!