Tomato based pasta sauce

najopito, May 29, 10:22pm
I have a lot of frozen tomatoes and want to turn them sauce for pasta to freeze. Does anyone have any good recipes?

jesse83, May 30, 5:38am
1 oz butter or lard
2 TB oil
2 onions chopped
6 tomatoes chopped
1 tsp salt, 1 tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp pepper (i use half tsp of ground ginger)
(i whizz the onions and tomatoes first in food processor, then cook, but you can leave it to cool down and process after cooking)
Heat oil and butter together in saucepan. Add tomatoes, onions and seasonings and simmer gently until thick, about 45 minutes, (i cook it longer as it needs to be very thick for pizzas).
This sauce is absolutely delicious, and the longer and slower you cook it the better. (keep it stirred so it doesn't stick to pan)
It freezes super well too.

fifie, May 30, 7:20am
Frozen Tomato Pasta Sauce. Tomatoes, salt/pepper, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1 onion chopped, 1 good tablespoon tomato paste, fresh chopped herbs, or parsley. 1 tin of tomato puree.
Skin tomatoes if not already done, pour boiling water over them skin should peel off, and put in a pot simmer till they are thawed out, you'll probably need to take off some liquid till you have a thickish mixture with not to much water in it. While this is happening Pre fry onion and garlic, add to pot with tomato paste, seasonings, add puree, after youve taken off some liquid and simmer till tomatoes are cooked but there are still little chunky bits of tomato left. . Adjust your seasoning if you need to, Remove from heat Add freshly chopped herbs or parsley.
For quickest meal cook pasta drain, add this sauce, heat through serve with crusty warm bread or small salad...
I make heaps of this from fresh ripe tomatoes pre roasted then add freshly chopped basil into it and freeze it in zip lock bags for winter and its so tasty, for pasta, lasagne, meatballs etc.

najopito, May 30, 10:17am
Thanks. Will give that a try. I have several kgs.

stormbaby, May 30, 2:08pm
Every year I freeze around 30-50 kilos of home made tomato puree for spaghetti sauce. It might sound a hassle, but boy, we do appreciate it all Winter long.
I cook the tomatoes (washed and chopped) in a big pot with a couple of big onions. You can easily use your frozen tomatoes for this. I bring to the boil, boil for around 5 minutes then cool. I then put it through a mouli. The reason for this, is if you blend tomatoes, the seeds get cracked and you get a bitter, orange sauce. If you use a mouli, the skins and the majority of the seeds end up in the mouli, and you get a sweet red sauce. This is the base I freeze.
From there to make spaghetti sauce, I just cook up good quality mince in a little oil, with garlic, soy and worscester sauce. When brown I add some of my tomato puree, peppers, basiland whatever else I feel like putting in there (its different every time). I usually make a big pot full, simmer for an hour or so, then add cornflour in water made up to a paste to thicken. This then gets put into containers and frozen, or used straight away. Its great to always have pasta sauce in the fridge for hungry kids after school, or for quick lunches or dinners.

splitty, Jun 21, 7:18pm
Pasta with slow-roasted tomato sauce
By Simon Holst
Cooking the tomatoes slowly like this concentrates their flavour. Then it’s simply a matter of processing them into a sauce, adjusting the seasonings and stirring the sauce through some pasta – it couldn’t be much easier.
For 4 servings:
1kg ripe tomatoes
1 red onion
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
6-8 cloves of garlic
2 Tbspn olive oil
Handful of fresh basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Celsius
2. Quarter the tomatoes and remove the hard bits where the stems were attached. Scatter them in a large, baking paper or Teflon lined roasting dish. Cut the onion into eighths and core the peppers then cut the flesh into strips. Scatter these over the tomatoes.
3. Place the garlic cloves in the centre of a 20cm square of tin foil, add a splash of olive oil, then scrunch up the foil to make a small package. Place the foil package in a corner of the roasting pan, then drizzle the remaining oil over the vegetables.
4. Place the oven dish in the oven and roast for 90 minutes at 150 degrees Celsius, stirring the vegetables once gently after about an hour.
5. Remove the roast vegetables from the oven and leave until cool enough to handle. Lift the foil-wrapped garlic from the pan, then tip the vegetable mixture (and any juices) into a food processor or blender. Unwrap the roasted garlic and squeeze the contents of the paper skins into the vegetables, then process until smooth. Add the basil leaves, process again, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
6. Pour over lightly-oiled cooked pasta. Toss to combine, then serve