What can i make with left over apricots....

badd7, Feb 13, 1:28am
Help... . I have about 15 (so not heaps) left over apricotsthat need to be used. What is quick and simple that I can make with them. Can i just use some type of apple recipe and substitute? Thanks

cappucino1, Feb 13, 1:35am
Apricot Muffins? ?

1/4 cup apricots
1/2 cup water
100gm butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder

Put apricots and water in saucepan big enough for all ingredients. Bring to boil and cook for 5 mins. Stir in butter and sugar and mix until butter melts. Remove from heat. Beat egg and milk together and add to saucepan. Mix well. Sift in flour and baking powder and mix until just moistened. Three quarter fill greased muffin tins and bake at 190C for 15 to 20 minutes until spring back whe lightly touched.

These are yum and the good thing is that1/4 cup chopped apricots is not that many! !

badd7, Feb 13, 1:57am
thanks for that... . do you think that i could bake it in a slice pan. I have already made muffins today.

cappucino1, Feb 13, 1:59am
I don't see why not, I have heaps of recipes for "muffin slices" that use the same basic method as for a muffin mix but bake them as a slice. You may just have to adjust the cooking time to suit the tin

doug57, Feb 13, 2:06am
or slice and freeze on a baking paper lined tray in freezer and then toss in a snaplock. Use them late for smoothies, crumbles etc.

cappucino1, Feb 13, 2:07am
Otherwise here is a recipe for apricot balls hwich might work. It calls for 200 grams of apricots but just adjust the recipe according to how many apricots you have.

200 gm apricots
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon citric acid
1/2 cup icing sugar
1 cup coconut
1 cup biscuit crumbs
1/2 cup coconut or melted chocolate (to coat balls)

Put apricots, orange juice and citric acid in a saucepan. Cover and bringto boil. Redue heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Leave until cool. Puree apricot mix and transfer to a bowl. Add icing sugar, first measure of coconut ans biscuit crumbs and mix well. Roll into balls, roll in coconut or dip in chocolate and chill until set.

If you don't have orange juice or citric acid substitute with something else of your choice, just so long as the apricots are softened and you can puree them to a smooth mix.

buzzy110, Feb 13, 2:10am
Or make a miniature "rumtopf" in a jar. Korbo obliging started about 5 of theses threads (all on the same subject! ) just recently. YOu could do an anytime search and check them out. I posted some recipes and general instructions in one that may help you. The threads all had the word 'rumtop' in the title.

Basically it is an Austrian/Swiss method of marinating fruit in sugar/sugar syrup and alcohol and leaving it for a few months. The flavour intensifies and the resulting syrup and fruit are apparently wonderful for a variety of uses.

theanimal1, Feb 13, 2:53am
Apricot and Raisin Oat Biscuits
1 cup rolled oats; 1 cup plain flour; 1 cup caster sugar; 1/4 cup chopped, dried apricots; or fresh apricots1/4 cup raisins; 1/4 cup shredded coconut 125 g butter; 1 tbsp honey; 1 1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda; 2 tbsp hot water Preheat oven to 160C. Combine oats, flour, caster sugar, apricots, raisins and coconut into a bowl. Melt butter and honey and stir in bicarbonate soda and hot water. Add the melted butter mixture to the dry ingredients and combine. Place tablespoonfuls 5cm apart on a lined baking try and flatten with a fork. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Variations: Use ¾ C of white sugar if you don't have caster sugar. Use any sort of dried fruits or nuts in place of the ¼ cup raisins & ¼ cup dried apricots If you don't have enough rolled oats, use other breakfast cereals like weetbix, museli, cornflakes Use spices for flavour eg 1 tsp or so of cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger, allspice etc

theanimal1, Feb 13, 2:54am
Apricot Curd Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1½ lbs (675 g) fresh apricots or 1 lb (450 g) dried
* Juice of 2 lemons
* 4 free-range eggs
* 1 lb (450 g) sugar
* 4 oz (112 g) unsalted butter

Method:

1. Wash fresh apricots in hot water. Soak dried apricots for 24 hours in water.
2. Cook the apricots in a pan with just enough water to prevent them burning. When soft, push through a strainer into a medium-sized mixing bowl, pressing down on the fruit with a wooden spoon. Throw away the skins left in the strainer.
3. Put another heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and melt the butter. Beat the eggs lightly and stir into the bowl with the sugar, apricot puree and the juice of the lemons.
4. Cook the mixture, stirring frequently, for 25 to 30 minutes or until it thickens.
5. Remove the bowl from the heat and pour the curd into clean, dry, warm, sterilized jars.
6. Seal and cover.
7. Label with date and contents when fully cooled.
8. Keep in a cool, dry place or refrigerate.

theanimal1, Feb 13, 2:55am
apricot pies...

for the pastry base. .
Place into a food processor 200gms flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 100gms SOFT butter . Whizz till blending slightly. In a bowl, beat 1 egg and 1 dssp sugar till thick and the sugar has dissolved. Add to the flour mix and pulse to combine. If doing by hand, sieve the flour and BP into a bowl... use your fingers to mix in the soft butter. Continue as above, mixing the thick egg and sugar in well. Mix the dough lighly together in your hands to form a smooth ball. Roll out and cut in circles to fit your pie dish, patty tins, etc. . - an upside down cup or small bowl might give the right size, so circles cut around that will cover the bottom and sides of your tin. Lightly spray or grease your tins and place the circles in, pressing down into the shape of the tins gently. Fill as you want, top with pastry, or strips of pastry, or leave open. Bake at 180°C till only just beginning to change colour.

For the filling, drain the juice from a large tin
of apricot's, (drink the juice cos it's delicious! ). Mash the apricot's well with a fork, and add 1 rounded tablespoon of custard powder and mix in well. This will thicken the apricot mix slightly while cooking. Spread into your pie dish(s), and level the top. Bake until the pastry is lightly golden and is firm to touch. Use warm or cool. I would use freshly whipped cream and place it around the perimeter of the cold pies just before serving.

theanimal1, Feb 13, 2:56am
Apricot Square - Nanas recipe
Melt 100g butter, stir in 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/2 tin of condensed milk. Mix in 1 pkt of crushed biccys, 1 c of fresh apricots and one c of coconut. I also chuck in a handful of white choc drops. Give it a good mix and pop in a swiss tin. Cut into fingers

badd7, Feb 13, 3:13am
wow heaps of recipes. I ended made the muffins - yummy thanks. But i will print out this page and keep all the recipes. Thanks ! ! ! !

rainrain1, Feb 13, 4:23am
Sponge topped pudding from the edmonds book

spot20, Aug 7, 9:41am
Definitely the sponge pud - its sooo good! !