Baking bread in oven

chevvette, May 28, 3:54am
what temperature do you have the oven on if you bake the bread in their?

evorotorua, May 28, 4:57am
I do mine at about 180C fan bake. If you don't have fan bake I would put it on about 200C

uli, May 28, 5:09am
I start at 250 C - then go down to 200 after half an hour. Most breads take about an hour to bake.

evorotorua, May 28, 6:06am
oh, I bake mine for 30 mins. I guess yours would be denser than mine Uli.

buzzy110, May 28, 6:15am
I do mine like uli. We are both sour dough bakers but, speaking for myself, my bread comes out light and fluffy, just like a commercial loaf which annoys me because I use stoneground wholemeal flour and things like kibbled rye and wheat, rolled oats, etc but still I get light and fluffy.

Remember to put in a baking try when heating the oven and before you put in your loaf to cook throw ½doz ice cubes or some hot water into the tray as bread requires steam in the beginning for a better loaf.

bunny51, May 28, 9:31am
Buzzy would you be able to share your recipe for bread please? It sounds very tasty.

buzzy110, May 28, 9:51am
No. You have to be into sour dough to make my bread and by the time you get good at it, there really is no need for a recipe. I make by feel alone which also tells me how much water to add to the dough to achieve that light and fluffy bread.

However, as a general rule of thumb I tend to use just three cups of dry ingredients in the final dough preparation and one cup of dry ingredients to 1&3/4cups of starter. I mix and match the sort of grains and flours. This can vary though, depending on how much starter I am using.

In case you don't know, sour dough doesn't use commercial yeast. There is a sour dough thread - Sour Dough - Success at Last with all the info in that. Unfortunately it is rather long.

Here are a couple of links to start you on your way. One is the practical end of starting a starter. The other is a semi-scientific paper explaining just why sour dough is so much better for you.

http://www.io.com/~sjohn/sour.htm

http://www.danreid.org/health-alerts-sour-dough-health. asp

bunny51, May 28, 10:28am
Great thanks. Always mean to try making sour dough but so far never been quite brave enough. (For some reason, though the instructions always seem plain enough , I have it in my mind that it is really a complicted process. )

beaker59, May 28, 11:56am
Bunny its really easy and simple I reckon its harder to stuff up than regular bread really I haven't had a failure yet. At first I crumbed my failures now I have to bake bread to make crumbs. I put on a loaf tonight I will bake it about lunchtime tomorrow.

lala2, May 28, 7:03pm
Hi bunny51, I have just bought a sourdough starter of www.mybreadmix.co.nz as I have tried quite a few times in the past to get a starter going and have always failed, so I hope this one works :-)

uli, May 29, 3:25am
How funny - to sell sourdough LOL :)
Hope it works for you though.

buzzy110, Jun 17, 7:43am
There is a stall at the Clevedon Farmers' Market that always sells a few jars. I'm not sure of the uptake. I looked at them and decided if they really wanted to sell more jars of starter they should be printing up the Dan Reid's article about why it is so much more natural and healthier for you plus provide a recipe for using it and how to keep it going.

I got into sour dough because a wonderful French Baker who only made organic sourdough bread had put copies of Dan Reid's article in her shop for anyone to read. From that moment on I was hooked and did my own research from there on how to do it.