Pacific Island Recipes

karynjoy, May 27, 10:34am
Hi there, the kids in my primary school class are studying the pacific islands. I was wondering if anyone had any good simple recipes that we could get the kids to try :-)
thanks.

karynjoy, Jun 6, 1:03pm
Bump?

noelinevc, Jun 6, 8:42pm
What about poke, a banana and arrowroot pudding served with coconut cream. It is called poke in the Cook Islands but most islands make a version of it. Or Rukau is really nice if you want savoury, taro leaves cooked in coconut cream. I have also made it with spinach if I have not been able to get good taro leaves. Try http://www.ck/food/index.htm

kaylin, Jun 6, 9:06pm
We had a parent that came into preschool last week and made Samoan Chop Suey with the kids. You might have to google the recipe, but basically it was 4 types of meat cut up and cooked separately (beef, pork, chicken and bacon), and noodles.

ferita, Jun 6, 10:08pm
This is quite a good cook book

http://freepages. genealogy. rootsweb. ancestry.com/~familytree
fullofnuts/Cooking/Cookbooks/The%20Pacific%20Islands%20Cookb
ook. pdf

gavin166, Jul 17, 10:45am
sapa sui/chop suey is easy, boil up some taro or green bananas. Raw fish or oka is yummy but might freak them out a bit!
Here's my recipe:

Samoan-style chop suey (Sapasui)

Ingredients
• 500g Blade Steak (very thinly sliced into 2 to 3cm strips) marinate first in a slosh of soy and garlic if you can.
• 1 large Onion (coarsely diced)
• 8 Cloves Garlic (finely diced)
• 100g packet of Bean Thread Vermicelli (in cellophane packet in supermarket)
• 750mls to1 Lt Water
• 100mls Dark Soy Sauce
• 100mls Peanut Oil
• 50mls Oyster Sauce

Cooking time 30 minutes (not including preparation)
Serves four to six people.
Put water in bowl and soak vermicelli for 1/2 an hour. Then cut with scissors when vermicelli is soft along the middle and corners. Chop until threads are about 4 cm long. Drain.
Heat oil on high, when sizzling add garlic and ginger fry till about to turn brown then add onion, cook till clear. Add all meat and fry till cooked then add half of soy sauce and cook for about two minutes then add vermicelli and mix vegetables stir well then simmer for 5 minutes or until vermicelli is clear on low heat. Then add Oyster Sauce. Add more Soy Sauce if needed to bring color to brown.
Meat best prepared the day before marinate with half measures of soy sauce, garlic and ginger and refrigerate.
Serve with rice.