Ideas for fast family bulk meals needed!!!

jwn1, May 26, 1:35am
Am finding it difficult to feed the kids with stuff they will actually eat because of their different ages, and need something fast to heat up after sports... I have done the usual meatballs, lasagne, shepards pie, roast, fetachinni... Has to be cost effective and incl veges!

geldof, May 26, 1:53am
I know the feeling! i cook for 7-9 every day 3x a day. wide age range, different activity levels and different preferences. nightmare stuff

cookessentials, May 26, 4:51am
Cheese chicken and broccoli Pasta grill

250g penne;1 head broccoli, cut into florets;60g butter;2 tablespoons plain flour;pinch of cayenne pepper;2 cups (500ml) milk;200g cooked chicken, shredded;½cup (60g) grated tasty cheese;1/3 cup (25g) grated parmesan;¼ cup (15g) fresh breadcrumbs

Cook penne in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water according to packet directions. Add broccoli for last 4 minutes of cooking. Drain.

Meanwhile, melt half of butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add flour and cayenne and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Whisk in milk and cook for 4 minutes, stirring, until starting to boil and sauce thickens.

Combine penne, broccoli, white sauce, chicken and tasty cheese and season to taste. Spoon into a 10-cup ovenproof dish. Melt remaining butter and combine with parmesan and breadcrumbs. Sprinkle over pasta mixture. Place dish under a preheated hot grill for 2-3 minutes, until top is golden and crisp. Serve.

Tip: This dish can be prepared ahead without grilling, then reheated for 15 minutes in a preheated oven, at 190°C or 170° fan. To finish, pop it under the grill to brown the top.

lizab, May 26, 5:48am
yum that sounds good! !

sandra22, May 27, 6:54am
Butter Chicken is the best. Really quick to make, cheap, freezes well, heats up well and the whole family will love it. You can make it in bulk too.

missmuppett, Jun 12, 3:54am
Butter chicken how? ? ? With a sauce? ? Hmm...
My other half HATES brocolli in pasta. . gives it a weird taste, personally... I love it... . each to their own.