Rhubarb help! I've got a big - and I mean big -

us32, May 25, 11:05pm
bowl of defrosed stewed rhubarb.

Last time I attempted making a crumble it went all watery and I had to chuck it out.

Should I drain of most - or all - of the fluid before I attempt another crumble with it please? ? ?

cookessentials, May 25, 11:10pm
Pop it into a sieve suspended over a bowl and let the juices drain off.

245sam, May 25, 11:10pm
us32, IMO when making a crumble pudding with cooked (stewed or canned) fruit, it is best to drain the fruit as best one can without actually squashing/squeezing the fruit. :-))

us32, May 25, 11:18pm
Cool - thanks guys - I told DP I would do a much better job this time - he was gutted when he couldn't eat the last lot because it was too sloppy.

Now the perfect crumble topping - what's the best recipie?

245sam, May 25, 11:31pm
us32, have a look at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=19&t=491

You'll find a great choice of recipes there including the recipe "Crumble Pudding with Rolled Oats" which is the recipe I use and because it's made in the food processor I usually make a large container of it and pop it in the freezer, then at short notice, a can of fruit covered with a layer of this topping and pudding's ready for the oven - quick & easy. :-))

us32, May 25, 11:33pm
I've just found that one 245sam - it sounds so quick and easy - hopefully DP will like it!

marywea, May 26, 12:29am
Perhaps next time you could cut up the rhubarb and freeze raw? ? I find it works well.

lilyfield, May 26, 1:43am
Why can't he eat sloppy pudding? Not hungry enough?

margyr, May 26, 2:11am
hi there, next time you cook it, cut it up and wash, then just add a couple of teaspoons of water, it makes plenty of juice, i put sugar with mine as well, you just have to watch it as it cooks really quickly. also if when you cut it up you pour boiling water over it let that stand for a minute or 2 and then drain it removes the sort of furry feeling you get when eating it.

245sam, May 26, 2:15am
The boiling water removes much of the acidity of the rhubarb so therefore less sugar is required. I normally either oven-bake or microwave-cook rhubarb and and IMO, once the boiled water is poured off the rhubarb, no extra water is needed for cooking the rhubarb. :-))

us32, May 26, 12:06pm
We don't have pudding very often and he had been looking forward to it all day - to come home to a plate of uncrispy crumble floating in soggy rhubarb - I didn't blame him for not eating it!

The one I did tonight was perfect - thanks guys!

The crumble was easy to make and it made heaps - so I'll be doing an apple crumble tomorrow night with the other half.

juliewn, May 26, 12:30pm
You can use the juice in place of milk in baking or pudding recipes - or drink it for all the goodies. . or add some gelatine to make into a jelly. .

us32, May 26, 9:40pm
Nuts - now I know what to do with it - but I'd already tipped it down the sink.

Oh well, next time.

kcak, May 26, 9:46pm
I cooked some plums and had so much juice that I wondered what it would be like thickened with some custard powder - it was lovely! - thick, smooth and almost creamy. I've since tried it with rhubarb and it's great with that too! !

pickles7, May 27, 8:23am
I would have thickened it a little with cornflour, the flavour will be in the juice. . If there is heaps drain off a little and make a jelly. I would still thicken it though.

crystalmoon, Jun 12, 11:41am
also if you use custard powder to thicken and adds a lovely taste.