Gluten free people - bread??

Page 1 / 2
kizzier, May 25, 12:39am
So is there any GF bread you can buy or make that resembles light, soft, airy wheat bread or is all the dense bread because of the flours? Thanks

buzzy110, May 25, 12:43am
Have your tried any of the Venerdi breads. Pretty sure they do a GF loaf that would sort of fit your description. However, at $7 plus, it is quite expensive.

buzzy110, May 25, 12:45am
If you lived in Auckland you could trot off to Newmarket to the Dean Brettschneider bakery. They sell a GF bread, I think that may be nice.

kizzier, May 25, 12:54am
lol yes I have bought loads of different brands, tried baking some from the GF bread mix by healtheries yesterday, but none are light, fluffy bread - they are all like rocks and only good for toast!

I may just try the bakery you speak of - I miss bread! lol

Thank you :-)

kizzier, May 25, 12:55am
Also, I don't care about the price - am paying $7 a loaf at the moment for (to me) less than average bread, so that doesn't matter :-)

cookessentials, May 25, 1:07am
Sadly, it is the gluten that gives it the soft texture. The rice breads are usually pretty dry. There is a site that sells various GF foods, breads being one of them, but the name escapes me at the moment.

kizzier, May 25, 1:17am
That's what I thought... . what a bugger! Ah well... .

cookessentials, May 25, 1:27am
Don't give up yet! This is one site I am aware of and they have the gluten free mixes for home made bread.
http://www.glutenfreegoodies.co.nz/ they do a light cake and cookie mix too as well as other bits - you may be able to contact them and have a chat about a nice soft bread if it is available.

cookessentials, May 25, 1:28am
Gluten Free, Dairy free Bread Mix 500g

Most unusually for a gluten free bread, this is light textured and makes a good big loaf for satisfying sandwiches and toast.

It can be frozen and later toasted direct from the freezer.

NZ$6. 75

Here is what they say about the bread mix they have.

cookessentials, May 25, 1:30am
a little info from Healtheries.
http://www.healtheries.co.nz/page. php? id=25&prod=1126

bedazzledjewels, May 25, 1:44am
In my Low GI days I tried a few of them and they were all ghastly, so it was just easier to cut out bread all together.
Flax muffins and flax foccacia make good substitutes.
Good luck in your search.

buzzy110, May 25, 2:19am
Cutting down on grains and cutting out bread altogether is probably the best thing you could have done dazzler. In my "Going Against the Grain" the author counsels against trying to find too many substitutes for the foods that caused the problems in the first place. She said that research has shown that if you continue to eat the same amount of carbs as you did before then eventually your system will begin to become allergic to carbohydrates and starches as well gluten.

Her recipe for gluten intolerant people is to do a complete change of diet altogether and prefers vegetables, meat and fats which confer rather more satiety than grains and high carb foods.

Does this advice sound familiar? Well yes it does, because it is more low carb, like you prefer to eat dazzler, but she has no problems with higher carb veg like carrots, onion, pumpkin and leeks, etc.

frances1266, May 25, 2:25am
The only gluten free bread that I have come across is made by Lievito in Dunedin. Unfortunately it is a white bread but tastes just like normal bread. They do have a wholemeal bread but it is not so good.
They have a website and also they courier which is helpful.
I know you can buy it in Christchurch at a few places but dont know about the rest of the country.
They also make French bread sticks that are also just like normal ones.

frances1266, May 25, 2:27am
That should have read 'the only good gluten free bread'.
Oops.

motorbo, May 25, 3:12am
I currently buy this loaf from pak in save, and it looks like brown bread, it’s the nicest to have as a sandwich, and toasted man its good! For a gluten free bread its impressive, I will find the name tonight if your interested

earthangel4, May 25, 3:36am
Buzzy, thanks so much for that information, I have done the same thing for my celiac disease and have never felt better

kizzier, May 25, 3:38am
Thanks everyone! frances1266 - that's exactly what I want... something that resembles normal bread! lol

kizzier, May 25, 3:39am
Oh I tried the Healtheries bread mix yesterday - that too was like a brick lol... . maybe it's my baking skills? ? ? Although I do make a mean homemade (wheat flour) loaf lol!

cookessentials, May 25, 3:42am
Perhaps that was the one i was thinking of - kizzier, at last you might get something half decent LOL.

cookessentials, May 25, 3:44am
You may find this an interesting read kizzier
http://www.odt.co.nz/lifestyle/food-wine/75818/gold-lievito0
39s-gluten-free-loaf

cookessentials, May 25, 3:46am
http://www.lievito.co.nz/Index. php

cookessentials, May 25, 3:49am
http://www.springhillfarm.com. au/? id=therealbreadmixglute
February 2009 sees the launch of our long awaited gluten free bread mix! Coeliacs, and those with many other intolerances and allergies can now enjoy home made gluten free bread baked that actually tastes like real bread! This bread is the real deal... . no need to toast it, it can be enjoyed fresh from the oven. Why not enjoy a sausage wrapped in bread, a beautiful salad sandwich and rediscover real bread.

Finally a gluten free bread mix that tastes and feels like real bread! It's soft, flexible and tastes sensational. Not only is it gluten free... . it is also wheat free, dairy free, egg free, nut free and soy free! Buy online in single loaf packs and allow yourself to experience a gluten free bread revolution today!
AND you can buy online!

gaspodetwd, May 25, 5:11am
sounds great - any potato in it? And where can you get in it in Chch? We need no gluten, soy, oats, potato, chickpea. Is it suitable?

herika, May 25, 8:09pm
hi gaspodetwd
I was interested in this so checked out the website. I couldnt find anywhere an actual list of ingredients (I wanted to see if it had vege gum in the mix) but it does say its: gluten, wheat, dairy, egg, nut and soy free. Im going to email them to ask for a list of all the ingredients - will post when I find out :)

jwn1, May 26, 1:31am
I have tried that many breads! ! This one wins hands down... comes in many different flavours -my favourite being Olive and Rosemary...

thoroughbreadPh 063628038 or thoroughbread@gmail.com, worth looking into to see if you can get it in your area.