**Julia Child**

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 1:23am
A most interesting article by Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemna) from the New York Times. Interesting memories of her cooking show, brief review of the film Julie & Julia and a look at how home cooking has changed since.
Anyone got a favourite Julia recipe they'd like to share?
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/magazine/02cooking-t.html?
pagewanted=1&_r=1

davidt4, Feb 13, 2:46am
That's a great essay - thanks so much for giving us the link. Michael Pollan is one of my food heroes.

davidt4, Feb 13, 4:12am
Julia Child's Chocolate Meringue Ice Cream

makes 2. 5 litres

3 egg whites
¼ tsp cream of tartar
pinch of salt
170g sugar
5 tab water
250 ml whole milk
4 tab strong coffee (espresso)
200 g top quality dark chocolate, 70% cocoa solids
250 ml cream

Beat egg whites slowly, when foaming add cream of tartar and salt, increase speed to fast and beat until the mixture is very stiff. Meanwhile bring sugar and water to the boil over high heat, swirling to dissolve crystals. Boil until it reaches 115C (soft ball).

Carry on beating egg whites and slowly dribble hot syrup in, continue to beat until cool and very stiff.

Meanwhile, heat milk , coffee and chocolate to a simmer, stirring until perfectly smooth. Simmer a few minutes, stirring, until it thickens to a heavy cream. Cool completely.
(over ice is quickest).

In a chilled bowl whip the cream to soft peaks.

Fold the cool chocolate mixture into the meringue, then fold in the cream.

Freeze undisturbed at least four hours.

bedazzledjewels, Feb 13, 4:16am
When I saw that title Davidt4 I thought it might have been a sort-of Eton mess, but I've never seen a recipe like this one before. Thanks.
Pity I don't eat sugar! Lol!

lythande1, Feb 13, 4:42am
Interesting theory:
" very often our work doesn’t leave us the time". Rubbish, it's easier to do stir frys now than then. ,
And: "I have the diet for you. It’s short, and it’s simple. Here’s my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That’s it. Eat anything you want — just as long as you’re willing to cook it yourself. ”

Well I do that, always have done.
And I'm not slim.

chrisynz, Aug 8, 7:55pm
julia and julia... is a great movie about julia childs life. . well worth watching if u are a fan of hers