Best way to store cheese please

cokibear, May 20, 12:31am
How/where (obviously in fridge) and in what should I keep my 1 kg block of cheese? We're either not eating it fast enough or I'm not storing it properly. Thanks.

timturtle, May 20, 12:34am
In a plastic container with a sugar cube. For some reason the bacteria go for the sugar before the cheese ! !

245sam, May 20, 12:39am
cokibear, alternatively to #2, freeze some or all of the 1Kg block of cheese - IMO it's best to grate the cheese before freezing it as it tends to be crumbly after being frozen and the grated cheese is sooo convenient - just use it directly from the freezer in sauces, on pizza, etc. or wherever you require grated cheese. :-))

bigred6, May 20, 1:09am
I keep mine in a resealable (airtight) bag in the fridge. I have never had a problem with it going mouldy.

brish, May 20, 1:11am
I wrap mine in a linen teatowel and then put it in a plastic bag and it keeps well.

crystalmoon, May 20, 1:26am
Yip, zip lock bag in fridge, also grate into airtight container and use as needed from fridge or grate and freeze if you dont use it alot.

cookessentials, May 20, 1:26am
A cheese bag - they work perfectly.

jessie981, May 20, 6:32am
tinfoil

lulu239, May 20, 6:53am
I store mine in a calico bag made just for the purpose. I have made some for sale with a picture of a piece of cheese we made from a computer stencil. It does the job very well at keeping the cheese.

cookessentials, May 20, 8:21am
Hi lulu, those are the ones, they work well - we sell truckloads of them.

bex32, May 20, 10:02am
Yep - cheese bag is great!

max-a-million, May 20, 10:54am
I preslice it then pop it in a Tupperware Clearmate... Not only does it last really well but its super easy and fast when making lunches in the morning... No waste either as Hubby cant slice a HUGE chunk to nibble on...

mybooks, May 25, 10:06pm
We do the same as number 3's post.

Especially loving the Mainland extra vintage tasty cheese lately - that's been left for 12 months - as written on the front of the pack. It tastes amazingly good.