When you cook roast pork, to get nice crackling

vintagekitty, May 19, 4:13am
do you have it up high to start with, then turn it down or the other way around? . I salt it and pour olive oil over the scoring.

cookessentials, May 19, 4:22am
Mr fisher is the man in that department, hopefully he will see your post and give youjust the answer you want. I do it the first way ( not that we have pork very often now) rub skin with a little oil and rub salt into it. Some people remove the crackling and finish it off under the grill or use a chefs torch to crisp it up.

vintagekitty, May 19, 4:33am
Thanks so much, Im going to do it Mr Fishers way! , lucky I have some rosemary in a vase on the window sill. We dont have pork much anymore, but bought a nice big piece from havoc farm, I am no longer supporting pigs kept in cages.

lizab, May 19, 7:30am
I saw a chef on tv pour boiling water over the skin for great crackling, can't for the life of me remember who it was tho! ! I had a friend who always put the crackling under the grill to crispen it up just before serving.

spongeypud, May 19, 8:53am
All I do is massage in olive oil and salt and leave it on the same heat (180*) and it always comes out crispy. Made me hungry now mentioning crackling lol.

sultana0, May 19, 9:41am
After cooking it as per normal, remove from the roast and cook on high in the micro (covered with handy towels) for a minute at a time until puffed up. Cool and eat. You must keep an eye on it as it can easily burn

rainrain1, May 19, 10:23am
My mother used to rub in malt vinegar first, then the salt, it was delicious. Maybe nowdays oil vinegar and salt could be worth a try.
Kind of a sour yum yum salty taste

fifie, May 19, 10:32am
Pork Roast, score it with a sharp knife, sit it on a plate in the sink pour boiling water over it you will see the fat underneath the skin rise up, this makes the crackling. Pat dry with a paper towel, rub a little oil all over the skin and then rub in some salt. Place in a roasting dish and roast as normal, remove when cooked rest and carve and you should have nice crispy crackling.

vtired, May 19, 10:34pm
Make sure skin is scored, pat down with paper towels until dry, rub in oil or lemon juice then plenty of salt, make sure oven heated to 220, put meat in for 20 mins then turn down to 170 and cook 30 mins per 500g or until juice comes out clear or 71 degrees with temp thermometer.

purplegoanna, May 19, 10:55pm
score skin rub with equal amounts of oil/salt, roast long and slow 170' in an oven bag then 20mins before serving take out of bag beef the heat upto about 200-210'F and let skin go brown and crackle...

cookessentials, May 21, 4:52pm
You can use boneless pork shoulder roast, if you like.

2. 5kg boneless pork leg roast, rind on
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sea salt flakes
6 medium potatoes (1. 2kg), quartered
2 tablespoons olive oil, extra
2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves

apple sauce
3 large green apples (600g)
¼ cup (60ml) water
1 teaspoon white sugar
pinch ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 220C.

Score pork rind with sharp knife; rub with oil, then salt. Place pork in large shallow baking dish. Roast, uncovered, 20 minutes.

Reduce oven to 180°C. Roast, uncovered, about 2 hours.

Meanwhile, combine potato with extra oil and herbs in large bowl. Place in single layer on oven tray. Roast, uncovered, about 35 minutes.

Make apple sauce.

Stand pork, covered loosely with foil, 10 minutes before slicing. Serve pork and sage potatoes with apple sauce.

Apple sauce
Peel and core apples; slice thickly. Place apples and the water in medium saucepan; simmer, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until apple is soft. Remove pan from heat; stir in sugar and cinnamon.