Apricot and date scones

alebix, Feb 11, 10:17am
Do you think it would be ok to adddried apricots and dates with spices to a normal scone mixture?

Would I have to add anything extra to balance it out like extra liquid, flour etc...

cgvl, Feb 11, 7:59pm
I make date scones all the time, all I add extra is a tsp or 2 of sugar to the basic scone dough. Adding apricots would be the same.

pam.delilah, Feb 11, 8:13pm
a small hint, dust the dried fruit in some of the flour before mixing in, stops them from sinking to the bottom

socram, Feb 11, 8:16pm
You could soak the dried apricots first in rum or your choice of liquor! Or you could be boring and soak them in fruit juice...

245sam, Aug 2, 6:57pm
alebix, my first thought when I read #1 was the need for extra liquid and I was and will recommend orange juice - I note that socram also suggested this with her/his initial suggestion being rum or your choice of liquor. I have not made, nor as far as I am aware have I tasted, scones made with any liquor but whilst we were staying in Wellington over Christmas/New Year we did enjoy an Orange and Date Scone at Coastland's Robert Harris. The scone was really nice - moist, really fruity and full of flavour hence my recommendation that you try soaking the fruit in orange juice. :-))