The good old southland cheese rolls help

Page 1 / 2
megan23, May 18, 5:44am
x2
any one got any good recipes to make cheese roll

245sam, May 18, 6:05am
megan23, if you try doing a search here on this Trademe MB using e. g. 'cheese rolls' as the Keyword and 'Anytime' as the Date posted, you'll find a number of "good" previously posted on this MB recipes. :-))

petal1955, May 18, 6:13am
x2
SOUTHLAND CHEESE ROLLS

2 cups grated cheese (I use tasty),
425g tin of evaporated milk,
1 pkt onion soup and a knob of butter.
Melt all those ingredients together over a low heat and then spread thickly on bread and roll up. These can be frozen as they freeze really well. Then pop in a hot oven and bake for about 10-15mins till brown.

petal1955, May 18, 6:14am
x1
Cheese Rolls
Southland Version

375ml can evaporated milk
Pkt onion soup mix
Finely chopped onion

1-1/2cups grated cheese
Loaf sandwhich bread

Mix the first 3 ingredients in pot cook slowly over a low heat, just until cheese has melted, stir constantly, let cool( this makes it easier to spread ), spread on bread and roll, brush with melted butter and freeze, then all you need to do is take out how many you want and grill.

I make it go a little further by adding more cheese, then you get more rolls.

malcovy, May 18, 7:00am
Real Southland Cheese Rolls are just grated cheese, little onion and little boiling water to bind together and then spread on fresh sandwich bread, rolled and toasted under a grill. A little goes a long way.

dollmakernz, May 18, 8:17am
Cheese Rolls
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread wrong side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside, place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.

chchgurl, May 18, 8:39am
My Grandma makes these, they are my favourite! :)

biddy6, May 18, 10:13am
Yeah, that's what I put in mine too. I flatten the bread with the rolling pin and put a strip of butter on the edge before folding to help keep it's shape.

We love rolls made the same with leftover mince stew in them too.

I haven't seen the big 'catering' sized loaves of bread around for a while, wonder if they're still made?

jaez1, May 19, 2:55am
x2
Yes Malcovy, that was the recipe I got first prize with in the Mainlanders Group in Taranaki a while back. I always use that, sometimes with bacon bits added.
I also make corn rolls in the same way and also mince rolls.

mber2, May 19, 3:22am
gosh these recipes sound very very yummy, i think i will be putting all these recipes in my cooking book now so i wont forget. Thanks to you all for sharing them on here, very much appreciated

lizab, May 19, 7:21am
do you have to put a cocktail stick in them to keep them together or do they just sit on the fold as you bake/grill them?

amazing_grace, May 19, 8:58am
I make mine without cooking. I just make an onion and evaporated milk dip, then add lots of grated cheese. Butter one side of the bread, turn over and spread with the cheese mix, roll up in 3. I freeze them like this then take out and cook when needed. Really easy. No, you dont need a cocktail stick... they just stay rolled up.

malcovy, May 19, 9:01am
If the mixture is wet enough you can press the roll gently and is should stick. My Mother used to take us kids to a well known place ie H & J Smiths tearooms in Gore, this was the time ladies wore hats and gloves and real tea in pots. I remember the smell of the cheese rolls as she always ordered them, she loved them. I am pleased you won a prize Jaez1 with that recipe.

nnobby10, May 19, 10:01am
x1
Looking for recipe of a cheese spread that is kept in the fridge... my mother used to make this in the 1950, s. it has onion in it. . other ingredients not sure about.

lizab, May 20, 7:42am
ahh that's a nice post malcovy - I can picture the ladies in hats and gloves - foodie memories are great aren't they - they can take you back to your childhood which is lovely :)

styleee, May 20, 8:06am
yum I used to make them alot in Timaru, years ago, north island people don't know what they missing

waswoods, May 21, 6:38am
This North Islander makes them regularly in winter!

annie.nz, May 21, 7:03am
I miss those!

moetus, May 21, 10:38am
Hi I thought the cheese rolls came from the little hut coffee bar in Dunedin, I used to have them there in the early 60s maureen

motorbo, May 28, 6:57am
what a lovely memory, thank you for sharing! !

dwebble, May 28, 12:14pm
Thats how I make them too.

timetable, May 28, 6:23pm
yep I'm with dwebble... minced onion works well as you don't have to handle the chunky bits lol... . if the onions are a bit strong then i just add a little of the onion stock or bacon and onion maggi soup mix - real yum... i always make up 6 loaves of bread into them for the winter and they go so well with soup... . enjoy! ! !

dbab, May 29, 4:04am
I've made a big batch of these, and we had them for lunch today as all my family were here for my birthday. They are better grilled than done in a sandwich press, as when I tried the sandwich press the other day, I had a big cheesy mess (which still tasted yummy though)

jesse83, May 30, 4:56am
Do you cut the crusts off the bread or leave them on?

meescha, May 30, 7:16am
Was The Little Hut Coffee Bar In South Dunedin moetus ? ? I Frequented One Out There Many Times in The 60's~ Are Those Were The Days~Memories~& Their Cheese Rolls Were To Die For~ Would Love The Recipe