Apple Pie Pastry

Page 1 / 2
v0rtrex, May 17, 9:17pm
Stewed up lots of Granny Smith's now I need a tasty pastry to turn it into a tasty pie. Could just go buy some from the supermarket but for some reason I am am sure it will taste better if I make the pastry myself. Anyone?

margyr, May 17, 9:20pm
Yes it does taste better home-made, but i never do I just buy sheets of sweet short pastry, even too lazy to buy the block.

jubli, May 17, 9:30pm
Sweet Short Pastry - 5 minutes to make!
1/3 cup castor sugar
125g melted butter
1 egg
mix well together and add 2 cups flour
mix together - chill before using
I've been using this recipe for years - you can add spices etc for different flavours
Enjoy

margyr, May 17, 9:33pm
wow, that does sound easy jubli, I am going to create a folder and put this in there. although I have been a cook in a bakery and a couple of cafes I have never really made pastry from scratch.

cookessentials, May 17, 9:54pm
Believe it or not, but cheese in the pastry of an apple pie is very tasty - my Dad loves it that way. It is very English in origin.

cassie24, May 17, 10:28pm
1 cup of flour
75gm Butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1tbsp water

Sift flour, cut in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs, stir in sugar add egg yolk and water. Mix to stiff dough. Chill for 30mins before using. Makes 400gms.

Now getting cooking b! tch

elliehen, May 17, 11:08pm
And in the USA, you will sometimes be served slices of cheddar with your Mom's apple pie :)

cookessentials, May 17, 11:22pm
Yes, absolutley - this is how dad enjoys his pie too - or cheese with sliced apple and pears on the side.

v0rtrex, May 18, 2:19am
Haha, yeah well... b! tch indeed ;p. Thanks for the suggestions, I have enough stewed apple to do 2 pies so I'll try both and see which comes out on top... . thanks.

nauru, May 19, 7:36am
I think it's a Yorkshire/Durham thing. We like cheese with pears or apples and oatcakes. Also cheese with fruit cake, prefer wensleydale cheese but can't get it here and tuxfords is not a good substitute.

lizab, May 19, 7:46am
I'm not sure that you should use stewed apples in an apple pie - am worried about a very soggy bottom ;)

elliehen, May 19, 8:30am
I admit to worrying about that too... It's best to use raw apples sliced thinly, and stir through a little cinnamon & sugar, a squeeze of lemon juice and a tablespoon of flour.

malcovy, May 19, 9:03am
Sweet Short Pastry - 5 minutes to make!
1/3 cup castor sugar
125g melted butter
1 egg
mix well together and add 2 cups flour
mix together - chill before using
I've been using this recipe for years - you can add spices etc for different flavours
Enjoy

I use a recipe very similar to this and I will never go back to the old way of making pastry. I saw this recipe in a Bin Inn mag back around 2003 and have used it everytime.

malcovy, May 19, 9:13am
10 min Apple Pie

Pastry
75 grams Butter
1 Egg
1/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Plain Flour
3/4 cup Self Raising Flour

Filling
4-6 Apples, sliced
1/2 Cup Water
3 Tbspns Sugar

Cook apples with water and sugar till softened or how you like.
Melt butter in pan. Add sugar. Take off from stove and beat. Add egg and beat again (quickly). Add sifted flours and stir until dough is formed. Press 2/3 of dough onto dish (Pastry must be used ASAP ie while warm). Add cooked apples and top with rest of dough. I normally pat pieces of pastry between my hands and put of top of apples, bit like a jig saw (work fast). You can sprinkle with sugar. Bake 200C for 10 mins. I use a 23 cm pyrex pie dish with no greasing. If this gets the chance to last the next day it tastes like apple shortcake.

cookessentials, May 20, 1:31am
One of my favourites
APPLE SHORTCAKE
125g butter
½ cup castor sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup self-raising flour
3/4 cup plain flour
410g can pie apple
1 passionfruit
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
extra castor sugar

METHOD

Cream butter and sugar lightly, add egg, beat well. Beat in sifted flours. Turn out on to lightly floured surface, knead lightly until smooth, divide in half. Roll each piece into a round between 2 sheets of plastic food wrap or greaseproof paper to fit a 20 cm (8in) round sandwich tin.

Place one piece into greased 20cm (8in) round sandwich tin which has base and sides lined with greased greaseproof paper. Place round into tin, press edges to fit tin well.

Break up pie apple roughly with spoon, add passionfruit pulp and lemon rind. Spread over shortcake base leaving a small border around edge. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of extra sugar. Place second round of pastry over fruit mixture, press edges togeteher around side of tin.

Brush with water, sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake in moderate oven 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to stand 15 minutes before removing from tin.

vampire10, May 22, 2:55am
grannys make horrid apple pie. use red delis apples instead less sugar so its gotta be good for ya.

makecheese, Jun 11, 10:34pm
sounds like such an easy pastry, how long should I bake pie for please and at what temp? thanks very much

kcak, Jun 11, 11:32pm
I use this one too - a great recipe. I use it to make apple shortcake by pressing half of the mixture into a swiss roll tin, sprinkling the base with some cornflour or custard powder to stop the juice soaking through, then filling the tin to the top with stewed apple. I then grate the remaining shortcake over the top and bake until it is golden. I tend to keep the tin low down in the oven so that the base is well browned too.

willman, Jun 12, 12:49am
You can add fine ( semolina, not sure if spelling is right ) to the stewed apple, which will thicken it up and not squash out when cutting.

fruitluva2, Jun 12, 1:40am
Super, some good recipes in here thanks for sharing.

wildflower, Jun 12, 3:47am
That sounds great, now I just need a filling so I can try it out!

makecheese, Jun 12, 3:51am
Jubli, made an apple pie, with your crust recipe, added very thinly sliced apples (uncooked) that had a tablespoon of brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon of allspice and 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves mixed through them- very nice pastry, hubby loved it and so did I, thank you for sharing it.

stormbaby, Jun 12, 11:29am
Yum. Have always made my apple pies using flakey puff pastry. Mine are made as my Dutch Mum taught me, granny smith apples, sultana's, sugar and cinnamon. Yum. I have bought a Granny Smith tree to plant so I get lots of tasty apples!

juliewn, Jun 13, 12:18pm
A quick way to make apple goodies - great for those 'I've just had dinner and feel like something else' times. .

Roll out pastry and cut squares to the size you want - if using the frozen sheets, cut into four squares.

Brush water around the edges of half of the squares. Thinly slice apples (I wash the skins and leave them on) and place in slightly overlapping pattern around the pastry, leaving about 1. 5cm of the pastry uncovered around the edges. Sprinkle over a little brown or white sugar and some cinnamon or other spices if you prefer.

Lay the left-over squares flat, and leaving 1. 5cm uncut around the edges, cut in strips inside those edges. Place them on top of the apples, pressing the edges of the pastry together. The strips will spread over the apple, giving a nice effect. Bake at 230°C till golden.

Sprinkly with icing sugar if you want. . and serve with whipped cream or icecream. . enjoy :-)

Try freshly sliced pears, peaches, apricots, nectarine's, etc. . for a change. .

juliewn, Jun 13, 12:20pm
Hi Stormbaby - I planted a Granny Smith tree a few months ago - and am looking forward to fruit in coming years. . great for bottling too. . apple for roast pork, pickled pork, breakfast. . with pancakes. . yum!