Need a cake recipe to feed 100 guests

nattygee1, May 17, 8:32am
Hi

I am attending a family reunion in September and I am looking for a cake recipe that has been tried to feed 100 guests.

Can anyone recommend anything - possibly fruit cake?

Also any ideas as to shapes or tiers I should use.

Thanks

Nat

cookessentials, May 17, 8:55am
If you talk to a cake decorator, they can tell you what size cake will feed what number of guests. From memory, we had a 10 inch cake which would fee 50 people - bearing in mind, that you do not serve a "normal" size slice- usually a smaller portion.

bcnd, May 17, 8:59am
Could you make fruit cake muffins? That way you could make several mixes. Decorate each one indiviually & stack in an attractive manner

m41, May 17, 9:19am
or you could do mini cup cakes , freeze the decorate closer to the date ? ? or truffles are fab yummy and easy to tart up

sikofstuf, May 17, 9:28am
hey, go onto the wilton website- will get lots of recipes on there! Or the good older kinds of edmonds cook books have old fashioned fruit cakes. In general- when I do a 10, 8 and 6 inch three tier, round, it's to feed approx 90 coffee serves :-)

marob2, May 17, 9:36am
I just love fruit cake but these days a lot of people don't so you may have to have an alternative cake on offer. That would cut down the size of the main fruit cake.

duckmoon, May 17, 10:34am
the advantage of a fruit cake is that it is better with age - which means you can prepare in advance...

Unlike other cakes, which will dry out eventually...

Personally, if you want to make a fruit cake, and others choose not to eat it - I am sure they won't go hungry.

fifie, May 17, 10:39am
For our family reunion which was around 120 people i made my 12 egg xmas fruit cake in a large square tin, iced it with almond icing and fondant kept the decoration simple with a tartan ribbon around it as there were a few there from Scotland and they loved it. When served it was cut into small finger portions as it was quite rich, we found there was plenty to go around as not everyone likes fruit cake. . You can even make it ahead of time and it will get better with age so one less thing to worry about in the last few days like it would be with other kinds of cakes drying out.

cookessentials, May 17, 11:50pm
x1
http://www.angelfire.com/bc/incredible/indexhundred.html the link is for recipes to feed large numbers of people. I have not tried any so cannot vouch for it, but you may get some ideas at least.

chicco2, May 18, 2:35am
Cake decorator here. A deep 12"square if cut properely, should give around 100 pieces. Thats a fruit cake. To make your usual recipe fit a larger tin do the following. Pour water into your usual tin , to the level the raw mix usually comes to. Then pour that into the big tin. Keep doing this, counting as you go, the number of times it takes to fill the big tin. That is how many times you need to multiply your original recipe. Good luck and enjoy the reunion.

pickles7, May 18, 11:10am
For your needs I would make up two. .
Xmas cake
melt 1 tin of sweetened condensed milk, 125 grams of butter, 2 Tblsp golden syrup...
mix in another large bowl, 1 and 1/2 KG of mixed fruit with 2 cups of flour, 2 tsp cocoa , 2 tsp coffee powder, 1 tsp of curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon each, nutmeg, cinnamon, mixed spice...
now add to that bowl the milk - butter mix, 4 beaten eggs, 1/2 teaspoon each almond, lemon, vanilla, rum essences...
lastly add 1/4 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of baking soda added... Bake 3-4 hours at 125 %c may need longer
I line my tins with corrugated cardboard, newspaper, finally non stick baking paper.

nattygee1, May 25, 5:09pm
Thank you to everyone who has replied