Lamb curry recipe

biddy6, May 17, 8:05am
I want to make a lamb curry, different to the usual Rogan Josh I usually make with a fresh forequarter of hogget.
Have done a search but not found what I'm looking for.
Is there such a recipe for a 'mild' lamb curry with tomatoes and yogurt being on the list of ingredients?

I've never seen green cardamon pods or curry leaves in my town so don't have those to add to it.

jaybee2003, May 17, 10:40am
This could be what you are looking for. This recipe was originally from the NZWWeekly. It's a mild curry. I didn't have fresh red chilli to hand so I used sweet chilli sauce instead. Instead of tinned tomatoes, I used some of my excess of cocktail tomatoes, fresh.

Lamb Curry with Rice.

1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 small red chilli, chopped with seeds removed
Juice of 1 lemon
Vegetable oil, such as canola or rice bran oil
700g diced lamb
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp tomato paste
½ cup cold water
1 cup plain unsweetened yoghurt
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Steamed rice, to serve

1. Combine spices, chilli, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of oil in a bowl. Add cubed lamb and toss well to coat. Cover bowl and leave to marinate for 1 hour.

2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large, heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes to soften. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add lamb and marinade, tomatoes, tomato paste and water.

3. Bring mixture to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer gently, uncovered, for 1 hour or until lamb is tender, adding a little extra water if the sauce becomes too dry.

4. Stir in yoghurt, but don't allow the mixture to boil once the yoghurt is added. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with steamed rice on the side.

biddy6, May 18, 10:25am
Thanks very much for that jaybee! sounds good to me.

wizzbikz, Jun 4, 10:43am
sounds great