Creaming Butter & sugar - your best method?

pat56, May 17, 7:11am
What are your methods?

lx4000, May 17, 7:13am
soft (NOT melted) butter, sugar and an electric egg beater! ! I beat for about 5+ mins:) Then add eggs 1 at a time or what ever.

(barloo)

glendeb, May 17, 9:06am
A wooden spoon, soft butter, sugar and lots of elbow grease.

sparkles, May 17, 9:29am
hmmm this is interesting... . . i didnt know that 'creaming' meant to do it for so long. I only ever beat quickly (now that i think about it). Something no one tells you how to do, but an instruction that is assumed you know.

harrislucinda, May 17, 9:31am
sometime with awoodenspoon, yesthebuttershouldbepaleandsugarmeltedistheway tocreambutterandsugarlonger thebetter

softlysoftly8, May 17, 10:21am
Soften the butter and add sugar. Beat until it turns a paler colour, as in cream

bernice1, May 17, 11:02am
When you cream butter, you’re not just waiting for it to get soft, you’re beating air bubbles into it. Beat butter on its own for a good3 minutes to incorporate sufficient air before adding the sugar. Add the sugar to the aerated butter and to continue the creaming process with both ingredients. The rough sugar crystals cut into the fat, creating more air pockets. Both steps of the creaming process will generally take 8-10 minutes in total.
Butter and sugar are sufficiently creamed when you're no longer able to see sugar granules, but you can still feel them if you rub a bit of the creamed fat between your fingers.

petal1955, May 17, 7:40pm
Melt the sugar in a glass jug in the microwave so its liquid then add that to really softened butter and beat with a beater... ... . sugar is disolved and its a lot quicker and easier

bisloy, May 18, 10:00am
Kenwood

herika, May 19, 7:56pm
Hi, I soften the butter in the microwave first then pour the sugar into it and stir with a wooden spoon. Old fashioned way of doing it maybe but it works for me! lol

tw1nkle, May 19, 9:23pm
I do like another poster said, I beat the butter for roughly 5mins before I add the sugar in. Then I beat the butter and sugar together for around 5ish mins.

dezzie, May 19, 10:01pm
I heat the sugar in the microwave for 5 minutes first.

cookessentials, May 19, 10:58pm
Use caster sugar, it dissolves and incorporates far more quickly. I normally use my hend held electric beater, but it can be done with a wooden spoon if needs be. The trick is soft butter - in the pre microwave days, you stood the bowl in the sink with a little hot water to soften your butter ( not melt). When the butter changes colour to a more white colour is how long I do it for.

bernice1, May 19, 11:10pm
Creaming butter and sugar does have some science behind it and reasoning (see my response above). It is a patience thing as well, especially today with everyone in a hurry to get things done quickly, 10 minutes can be a long time to wait!

greenone2, May 21, 2:40am
i always warm the sugar for 20 seconds then add to the soft butter i have been doing this way for over 40 years it seems to cream a lot faster but always add one egg at a time and beat well for at least one minute before adding the next egg and so on and i always sift my flour twice