Cheese/Jam/Pastry muffiny looking thingys...???

sparkles, May 15, 9:13am
HELP? In a cafe yesterday I had a really yummy thing. It looked like a muffin in shape. It had light pastry type on the bottom and sweet crumbly topping. Jam in the bottom. I think it had cheese in it but might be wrong. Was sweet not savoury. I would love to make some... but dont know what they are called to look them up... . any idea what they might be? ? ... . .

cookessentials, May 15, 9:16am
Sound like a bakewell tart- or sometimes called cheese cakes. They usually have a flakey type pastry base, jam and a cakey top.

sparkles, May 15, 9:23am
Thats it! Thanks cookessentials. You win the prize for being able to decipher my ramblings. I have googled bakewell tarts and thats them... . and thankfully they dont look tooo difficult so I will give them a go. Thanks again.

feisha, May 15, 9:34am
My Mum used to make these all the time when we were kids, and they were real favourites. We used to call them cheesecakes. Apparently some recipes had a slice of cheesein them as well as the jam, but Mum never included this.

cookessentials, May 15, 9:42am
Bakewell Tart
The Bakewell Tart is a classic English dessert and something that my Mother has made for many years. They are delicious, not just as a dessert but served at afternoon tea. You can make them as single serve tarts or one single tart. Made with delicious pastry, jam and an almond topping - certainly worth trying.
Ingredients:
For the pastry:
175g plain flour
pinch salt
55g unsalted butter , chilled and diced
25g lard, chilled and diced
25g unrefined caster sugar
zest of one orange
zest of one lemon
2 tbsp ice cold water, to mix
For the filling:
55g raspberry jam
3 eggs
115g unrefined caster sugar
115g unsalted butter , melted
115g ground almonds
50g flaked almonds, to serve
Method:
Sieve the flour and salt together and then gently rub in the butter and lard with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the orange and lemon zest, the sugar, and just enough cold water to make a dough. Roll this into a ball, wrap in cling film and leave to rest in the fridge for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 180C. Roll the pastry out to a thickness of 2-3mm and use it to line a greased 25cm flan ring. Cut off any excess pastry and crimp the edges. Heat the jam in a saucepan and press it through a fine sieve to get rid of the seeds before spreading evenly over the base of the tart. Beat the eggs and sugar together and then slowly fold in the melted butter and the ground almonds. Pour carefully to cover the jam. Bake in the preheated oven until set, about 35-40 minutes, take out and leave to cool. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

virea, May 15, 7:37pm
I make them from the receipe in Edmunds Cook Book called cheesecakes

kiwitrish, May 5, 2:01pm
I make them all the time. Love them. There is a great recipe site for basic traditional English baking. Google Be-Ro recipes.