*Gluten Free Hints and Tips*. I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are glut

Page 1 / 16
herika, Jan 21, 6:32pm
Hi mcardnas,
Welcome to the thread.hopefully you will find lots of helpful info here.I will bump up the GF breadmaker thread for you

alicanne, Jan 22, 12:31pm
check out ----- www.glutinfreekiwi . yum I'm still collecting my ingredints, gona have a go tomorro.good luck and let us no ,as i will you

oscarnz, Jan 22, 10:32pm
That link doesn't work, do you mean www.glutenfreekiwi.com

lx4000, Mar 4, 7:58am
not sure if this has been posted already so sorry if it has!

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Almond-Meal-Muffins-L9081.html

these sound so good!

herika, Mar 8, 7:14am
Hi nzbadger,
That recipe sounds really good.Just make sure you use GF baking powder (the recipe doesnt stipulate that).The ingredients make me think they will turn out like friands as theres no flour used.please let us know how they turned out.I like the fact they freeze well.

gaspodetwd, Mar 8, 7:28am
I have to tell you that there's a wonderful new restaurant in Hanmer springs Chantelliis on jollies pass Rd. It is a wonderful fine dining place with lots of gluten free options. My two are so hard to cater for that we hardly ever eat out(no potatoes, soy, tomatoes and more) and they were amazing. Food was expensive but oh so worth it! Delicious. Service exquisite. Quality produce. And we swapped items on the menu so they could eat. They were very careful and there were no after- effects. Any GF people would do well to make a special trip for a special meal. And book ahead- it gets very busy!
Whilst on the subject - a huge thank you to the nor west cafe in Amberley- who now have a big GF menu. No cross contamination either! Lovely service. If you live around either - these people really know what they are doing! Support them! And if anyone has the bread recipe from the nor westcFe - based on Cornflour and yoghurt please post it!

blossom24, Mar 12, 4:20am
best ever bun recipe. in mircowave,i was given this and it is out of this world.

3 heaped Tblspoons of lsa
1 heaped tblspoon of any gluten free flour
1\4 tpspoon of baking powder
mix together and then add.
one egg and splotch of water.

mix well together and then stick in bowl small like size of burger bun .

put in mircowave for 2mins and walah awesome 2 min bun, or slice for toast , i premix flour into bags if we go away.

do try.

earthangel4, Mar 22, 8:14pm
mmmm yum,thank you.
I am not sure what Isa is Blossom,could you tell me please,going to try this recipe,as I really miss my buns.
Thank you.

jimane, Mar 23, 5:00am
I am not sure what Isa is Blossom,could you tell me please,going to try this recipe,as I really miss my buns.
Thank you.[/quote]

I think it is ground linseed, sunflower, & almond meal.

fatboyswife, Apr 1, 1:21am
Hello, hello herika :)
Long time, no see!I am currently roasting cubed pumpkin pieces to pop in the freezer to make soup out of (when I get some bones), and maybe some pumpkin patties.I'm also roasting the seeds aswell!I hope they turn out alright as I've never done them before haha

I hope all is well with you :)

herika, Apr 2, 4:53am
Hi ya,
.and I was actually thinking about you earlier! True! I was! Everything is great here thanks.
Your pumpkin ideas sound yummy! Ive never roasted pumpkin seeds either, lets know how they turned out.Hey, I havent had that bread recipe from you yet.have changed my email addy too since then, Im at g mail now.One four trade me is how it goes.hope you werent near Chch when they had the earthquake. Good to hear from you, how's your clan!

fatboyswife, Apr 8, 8:25pm
Hiya!No we weren't near Chch. a few friends live there, one has moved out.All so terrible :(
I still have my hotmail account which is the same :)I will fish out that recipe today for you.
The pumpkin seeds were actually really good (don't be scarce with salt LOL although I like salty peanuts etc).They were a bit chewy so I thought I'd boil them first next time (which I did) and they were terrible LOL so straight in the oven they'll go with olive oil and salt.My gluten free child loved them so that's a winner!I've been doing more roast pumpkin for the freezer which is great!Easy to haul out over winter.
I'm glad you're well herika :)

herika, May 13, 8:54pm
I thought it might be a good idea to have a thread that has hints and tips for people who are gluten intolerant.
A lot of gluten intolerant people are also lactose or casein intolerant. There are lactose free milks on the market now and I use Nanny Lane Goat milk, it makes my morning coffee (freeze dried is GF)lovely and creamy.
Adding a tsp of arrowroot to each cup of flour used to any baking recipe can help improve it. Melrose Worcestershire sauce is brilliant, its adds flavour to sauces and meat meals as does Braggs All Purpose seasoning.
Check out my Banana Goldies recipe on the Hubbards website, these keep really well in an airtight container :)

herika, May 13, 8:55pm
I have a lot of stir fry mealsand I love using Braggs All Purpose Seasoning to flavour them. I also love Rice Stick Noodles served up with the stir fry. They are so quick and easy and are a nice change from rice and GF pastas.
There is so much "hidden gluten" inpre prepared and packaged foods we need to make sure we check the ingredients list on the item carefully. The manufacturers often change the ingredients but dont change labels unfortunately.
I find I have a few basic products in the pantry but everything else I eat is fresh or frozen. If I make a sauce I make extra and freeze some. I also do this with the liquid when cooking corned silverside etc:)

herika, May 13, 8:56pm
My local bakery makes an excellent GF loaf.
They toast slice it for me, I buy it in bulk and freeze it when I get it home. I then use it straight from frozen, make up as sandwiches and cook in my sandwich press. They are yummy! Just like bought ones.
I use numerous fillings such as cheese (aged)tomato, lettuce, my home made pickle, Food by Chefs Natural Chicken Pate, chives, onions, pineapple, left over home cooked casseroles, mince etc.

herika, May 13, 8:58pm
I find because Im not buying a lot of the pre packaged gluten free foods its not so expensive for me. Apart from Braggs Seasoning and Melrose Worstershire sauce, and perhaps the odd packet of GF sausages I only buy rice and maize corn flour which arent expensive and rick stick noodles and GF pasta.
I found a lot of GF recipes have ingredients in that some gluten intolerant people cant have, such as vege gums, soy or starches. Often a gluten intolerant person also has other food intolerances and its this that complicates matters.
Also I found a lot of recipes in GF books did have suspect ingredients in, one being Vanilla Essence.
Hansells say theirs is GF when you ring but I rang and talked to the Lab. Technician and question her at length and in the end she had to admit that because the alcohol base used is imported they cant guarantee its 100% GF! So we do have to check these ingredients out with care :)

herika, May 13, 8:59pm
These things have fibre: nuts, dried fruit (wash first in case it has been dusted with agluten containing flour), potatoes cooked with the skin on, brown rice, beans, lentils, and peas and fruit and veges.
Rolled oats have a protein (avenin) that is similar to gluten and most rolled oats are contaminated with gluten unfortunately so arent gluten free. Harroways of Dunedin are very careful to reduce the contamination problem but never claim theirs are gluten free :)

herika, May 13, 9:01pm
Going onto agluten free diet doesnt necessarily mean you have to go out and buy lots of GF foods. Most of it is full of additives and preservatives anyway, which arent good or some people react to as well. The main problem with being a Coeliac is staying off ALL gluten as there is so much hidden gluten in packaged food, such as MSG, "natural flavour", modified starches etc even in some foods labelled GF (often manufacturers dont realise or hide it by using other words to describe ingredients). Your evening meal wont need to be changed much, just use maize corn flour or arrowroot powder as thickener when making sauces or stews etc.
I only eat meat I have cooked myself to be on the safe side. Corned beef is generally cooked with malt vinegar so watch out for that. I buy GF bacon which I dont seem to have any probs with. Labelling is such a pain. But if a manufacturer labels something GF then puts "natural flavour" as one of the ingredients the natural flavour could contain gluten! Im okay with that because I react so definately to anything with gluten in it, but for anyone who doesnt have obvious symptoms - how would they know?
Hope this info is helping :)

herika, May 13, 9:03pm
GF Mango cake
425g can sliced mango in natural juice, drained, 6 eggs separated, 1 cup castor sugar, 250g almond meal, sliced mango and srawberries, plus mint to decorate. Grease 22cm round pan line with baking paper. Pat mango dry with absorbent paper. Blend in blender till smooth. Place egg yolks and sugar in small bowl beat till light and fluffy. Transfer to large bowl. Add mango puree and almond meal stir to combine. Place egg whites in small bowl beat with electric beater till soft peaks form. Add to egg yolk mix in 2 batches fold in gently. Pour mix into prepared pan. Cook in moderately slow oven 160oC for about 1 1/4hours or until firm to touch. Cover with foil if cake is over browning while cooking. Cake will still have a slight wobble when cooked. Remove from oven and cool in pan. To serve turn out onto serving plate and decorate with mango, strawberries and mint.
I havent made it yet so if anyone does please let me know how it turned out :)

herika, May 13, 9:04pm
When I was first having all my troubles and trying to sort out what I could and couldnt eat I stayed off all baking. Since then I have learnt some people have trouble with starches, such as some flours, potato, etc (even if the flours concerned are GF). I know refinement ruins a lot - for instance I read somewhere that the only healthy way to eat wheat would be to eat it in its natural form as a whole grain not after the outer layers of bran etc have been removed (most white bread uses the refined grain). I have found the GF diet basically to be eating more fresh and home made foods, which has the spin off of being much more healthy and better for me.
Brown rice may help you, I cook up some then keep it covered in the fridge. I have it for breakfast with fruit, almonds and Goat Milk and I dont get hungry until lunch time therefore bypassing the need for baking at morning tea. :)

ruby19, May 13, 9:05pm
I think ifwere diagnosed to go gluten free I would try and go back to fresh foods as much as possible, trying to keep away from the pre made products. That being said I think I would have to buy the G/F pasta`s

Another thing which has always stuck in my mind is, Focus on what you can eat Not on what you can`t. Mind you, this might be easier said than done! !

I have a friend whos daughter is ceoliac (sp), so do make gluten free dishes on occasion.

herika, May 13, 9:05pm
You can have takeaway chips as long as they havent been dusted with a gluten containing flour before being frozen and are cooked in a separate vat. I have a regular takeaways I go to because I tried their chips and didnt react badly in any way to them. Also some people may need the chips to be fried in oil, not fat. I read somewhere that McDonalds fries were GF but they do have traces of gluten (I checked out their website)so they are not gluten free :)

cookessentials, May 13, 9:06pm
ruby, what are your thoughts on the site below?
http://www.mfd.co.nz/ is it helpful to those with either a gluten intolerance or coeliac disease? I see it lists quite a number of products which would be helpful to sufferers? or do you still have to pick and choose?

herika, May 13, 9:09pm
Hi ruby,
I agree, fresh is best. There is nothing wrong with the GF pastas, there are a few different brands on the market now too.
30 years ago people just didnt have the products on the shelves that we do now so werent eating a lot of pre prepared or packaged foods that are full of additives and preservatives (that can contain gluten). A lot of people are returning to that sort of diet, even if they arent gluten free :)

ruby19, May 13, 9:11pm
I did point my friend to that site, to give her some ideas on what they could include in their shopping so all their family could eat the same, and not have 2 different brands of products, but after reading what some posters have said about manufacturers changing their ingredients, I am not sure. I think it is a good starting point if you have no idea, but as with everything it may not be gospel, a bit of trial & error.