Ladysmith cake?

infinityjrc, May 13, 8:36am
I seem to remember this cake years ago a two different layer type of cake with a shortcake type base and raspberry jam, spices and walnuts then a spicier topping over that, I think it was called ladysmith cake, can anyone help or have a recipe, i may be getting mixed up... .

paghan, May 13, 8:57am
Lady Smith Cake
175 g butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/4 cup chopped nuts

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF.
2. Cream butter and sugar together. They are ready when light and fluffy.
3. In another bowl, beat the eggs. Beat until a firm mixture forms. Sift the baking powder and flour together. Add to the creamed butter and sugar mix. Gradually fold in the beaten eggs until all are combined.
4. Transfer one third of the mixture into a separate bowl and add the cinnamon to this third. Stir cinnamon through.
5. Line the cake baking pan with baking paper. Pour the cinnamon mixture into the base of the lined cake pan. Using a knife, gently spread the raspberry jam across the top of the cinnamon mixture.
6. Pour over the remaining cake mixture. Smooth the top and sprinkle over with the chopped nuts.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, leave the cake to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

jessie981, May 13, 8:57am
I remember it. This recipe from Edmonds book
175gr butter
175gr sugar
3 eggs
180gr flour
1tsp b/powder
2tsps cinnamon
raspberry jam
Cream butter & sugar, add well beaten eggs alternately with siftedflour & b/powder.
Take less thanhalf of mixture, add cinnamon & an extra TBSP flour. spread in a greased tin, spread mixture with jam, put remaining mixture on top. Sprinkle with hopped nuts.
Bake 1 hr @ 180.

cookessentials, May 13, 9:02am
During the Boer War, the town of Ladysmith was under siege. To celebrate the end of the siege, this celebratory Ladysmith cake was invented and has been baked in various Commonwealth countries ever since. It has a raspberry, cinnamon and nut focus that makes it very tasty and more-ish.
175 g butter
3/4 cup sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups plain flour (all purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup raspberry jam
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Cream butter and sugar together. They are ready when light and fluffy.

In another bowl, beat the eggs. Beat until a firm mixture forms. Sift the baking powder and flour together. Add to the creamed butter and sugar mix. Gradually fold in the beaten eggs until all are combined.

Transfer one third of the mixture into a separate bowl and add the cinnamon to this third. Stir cinnamon through.

Line the cake baking pan with baking paper. Pour the cinnamon mixture into the base of the lined cake pan. Using a knife, gently spread the raspberry jam across the top of the cinnamon mixture.

Pour over the remaining cake mixture. Smooth the top and sprinkle over with the chopped nuts.

Place in the oven and bake for 50 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly.

Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, leave the cake to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.

unknowndisorder, May 14, 1:57am
After making this, I'm thinking next time put a layer of apple sauce or thinly cut/shredded apples instead of jam. Husband thinks feijoa and apple, so will give those a go, while it's still feijoa season.
That cinnamon hit is so good :)

infinityjrc, May 3, 11:16am
Thanks this is definately the cake i remember making when i was really young, thanks I will try it again it certainly has alot of good healthy ingredients, i will use walnuts and raspberry jam and throw in some whole raspberries as well for extra flavour.
Thank you everyone recipes much appreciated.