What Can You Make With Black Doris Plums?

Page 1 / 2
randomsella1, Feb 11, 6:49am
What Can You Make With Black Doris Plums?

davidt4, Feb 11, 7:15am
Fresh Plum Summer Pudding

Cook about 1&1/2lb fresh plums in a teacup of water. Add 2TBSPS sugar, when soft & remove stones.

Line a casserole dish with slices of stale bread, cut into wedges & fit them around the sides with a round piece of bread on the bottom. Soak the lining with some of the juice.
Place a layer of plums, then a layer of bread until dish is full, finishing off with a layer of bread. Cover & put a weight on top. Leave till cold. turn out & serve with custard and/or cream.

davidt4, Feb 11, 7:16am
Plum & Coconut Cake

6 - 8 dark plums, stones removed & thinly sliced
150g butter, at room temperature
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups self-raising flour, sifted
3/4 cup Greek-style natural yoghurt
3/4 cup desiccated coconut

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius. Grease and line base of a 24cm springform cake pan with non-stick baking paper.

Using electric hand-mixers, cream butter, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Fold in flour and yoghurt, alternately in 2 batches. Fold in coconut. Pour half the cake mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly over pan base. Arrange half the plums on top. Repeat using remaining mixture and plums.

Bake for 40 minutes. Loosely cover with a sheet of foil and bake a further 20-25 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer. Stand for 10 minutes in pan before releasing the springform. Serve sliced, warm or at room temperature.

This cake may be stored for up to a week in an airtight container.

Serves 10.

beaker59, Feb 11, 7:16am
Jam, wine, bottle them to have on a dessert later on, plum and apple crumble etc etc

randomsella1, Feb 12, 3:46am
thanks for those anymore

mackenzie2, Feb 12, 4:05am
Plum, Ginger and almond cake
Soften 150gm butter add 100gms white sugar & 50gms brown sugar, beat, add 3 eggs, beat again, add 100gms self raising flour, 200gms sliced almonds and sliced ginger to taste. Beat all till pale in colour Into a baking tin I use a round 10inch pan, smooth then put halved plums on top. Bake at 180 for 40 mins oven dependant, lovely with yougurt.

fruitluva2, Feb 12, 11:35pm
Why did you say that? or what else are you expecting? or is the above help in here not enough? whatever it is there is no need to exaggerate - lie! in General thread

myrtie52 wrote:

Have you tried the Recipes thread? I have found them very helpful when wanting a recipe for something. I have made crumbles, sponges, plum sauce and plum jam with Black Doris plums, very yummy. For jam just bring plums to boil and simmer gently until well mushed down and add sugar to taste and boil for a bit longer until soft ball stage. bottle in sterile jars and seal. My old Edmonds cookbook has the quantities as 6lb plums, a cup of water and 4 and a 1/2 cups sugar. I just tend to guess and go by taste.

tried the recipe thread and nobody commented back"

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=175575

eastie3, Feb 13, 12:57am
I make BD plum and Lemon jam, the juice helps set the jam and gives it a lovely flavour.

rowe6, Feb 13, 4:11am
For a delicious black Plum summer dessert - I use a tin of black doris plums, take stones out and place plums in a dish (without the juice). In another bowl, mix together 300ml of whipped cream and 2x small /150g cartons natural yoghurt, add a small amount icing sugar. Spread this over the plums, then sprinkle with demera sugar. It really is delicious!

davidt4, Feb 13, 4:14am
Why not use fresh plums? They are in season right through summer.

rowe6, Feb 13, 4:25am
x1
use whatever you have, fresh or tinned plums, still yummy!

eastie3, Feb 13, 5:51am
Brandied Plums
Using stewed (or tinned out of season) BD plums : strain off the juice into a saucepan with 3 or 4 whole cloves, a cinnamon stick, 1/2c sugar and a good slosh of brandy. Bring to the boil and lower the heat to a simmer. Reduce by about half until thickened and syrupy. Remove fromthe heat, take out the cinnamon stick and cloves, pour over the plums and chill overnight in the fridge. Serve with a good vanilla ice cream, yoghurt or whipped cream.

maandpa2b, Feb 13, 7:04am
x1
Do a cobbler with a simple sponge topping. This works for all types of fruit and is so easy/tasty and fulfilling

ferita, Feb 13, 7:06am
plum sauce
yum as

willow123, Feb 13, 12:33pm
Nothing - just send them to me and I'll scoff the lot lol

addington261, Feb 16, 9:51am
PLUM TORTE

¼ lb butter softened
¾ cup sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
Pinch salt
12 plums cut in half and stoned (24 halves)
1 tsp cinnamon

Arrange rack in lower 1/3 of oven and preheat to 180deg
Cream butter and the ¾ cup of sugar, add eggs
Then add flour, baking powder and pinch of salt,
Beat to mix well.
Spoon batter into 9-10 inch spring form pan.
Cover top side with plum halves, skin side down.
Mix cinnamon with the 2 tblsp sugar and sprinkle over top. .
Bake 40 – 45 minutes (until cooked)
Remove from oven cool.
Refrigerate or freeze
Lovely served warm with cream or ice-cream.

This is absolutely divine, I always make a few extra for the freezer.

hezwez, Feb 16, 12:39pm
fruitluva, when the O. P. said that in general, at 8. 08pm, nobody hAD answered back, David's post was a little later. So it wasn't a lie.

mary34, Feb 17, 11:02pm
Plum & Apple Cake
My late husband's favourite.
(I make 2 at a time and freeze in slices)
Ingredients:
1 Medium Apple (diced)
1 cup Plums (diced) – I thaw frozen plums and dice
80g butter (melted)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup standard flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon rind
2 tbsp milk
Method:
Heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a square tine with baking paper or coat with non-stick spray.
Place the diced apple and plums into a large mixing bowl and add melted butter, egg and sugar. Mix through to prevent the apple browning.

Add the remaining ingredients to the mixture and stir to combine.

Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and cook for 30 – 40 mins or until the centre springs back when lightly pressed and a skewer comes out clean.
Allow to cool for 15 – 20mins before removing from the tin.
Either eat as cake or serve as desert with usual accompaniments.
I slice and freeze. Just takes 25 secs to thaw a slice in the microwave.

mary34, Feb 17, 11:04pm
I should also have said that I froze plums last year stoned and halved in small plastic bags. Thawed them when I wanted to do the baking. Worked great.

245sam, Feb 18, 2:01am
Here's one I've just found in a local supermarket circular... . .

EASY PLUM PIE
1 x 400g packet sweet short pastry
2 tbsp each ofcornmeal, sugarandplumorapricot jam
6-8 plums, stone removed and the flesh cut into ⅛’s
1 egg, beaten

Roll the pastry out into a rough 30cm Ø round and place it on a greased, then lightly dusted with cornmeal baking tray.
Spread the jam over the pastry, leaving a 2cm space at the edge. Sprinkle the jam with the cornmeal – this helps absorbs the fruit juices.
Toss the fruit in the sugar, then tip it into the middle of the pastry. Carefully fold up the edges, pleating and pressing together to create a free-form pastry case. Brush the pastry with egg.
Bake at180°Cfor25-30 minutes, until the crust is golden and the fruit tender. Serve with yoghurt.
Serves 6. :-))

wayne472, Feb 18, 5:11am
Worcestershire Sauce

1. 5 kg dark plums
125g (4 oz) garlic
1 kg brown sugar
5 litres (1 gallon) brown malt vinegar
1-1/2 tins treacle

1 teaspoon cayenne
1 dessertspoon pepper
2 tablespoons salt
30g (1oz) mustard

30g (1 oz) cloves
30g (1oz) powdered ginger

Put all ingredients together into a large pot
Boil 2 hours
Strain and bot

malcovy, Feb 22, 1:22am
After reading this I halved and stoned plums and froze them. I made sure they were free flow. It took me to mid 40's to find a plum I enjoy and haven't a clue what it is called but I had access to a fully laden tree last week. I have made sauce and jam as well. I will be making the apple and plum cake as I think it will be delicious.

fmgirl, Feb 23, 1:04am
I made this the other day, with plums from our garden it was delicious even MIL liked it, super easy to make.
Quite tart with our plums, needs to be served with yoghurt or cream

waterlilies, Feb 23, 1:17am
I have a friend who makes Black Doris Plum GIN! ! Ohh it's yummy not sure how she makes it but you just drink it straight. Ohhhh yummo.
May have to look more into this and give it a go. She uses the V8 juice bottles, and afterwards the plums make a great crumble.

malcovy, Feb 28, 6:24am
I made this today and it's rather nice. Thanks for posting the recipe.