Pumpkin cake tastes

korbo, May 13, 5:56am
had a slice of pumpkin shortcake at a cafe last week. I had never tried pumpkin cake, and it was different, I could taste a nice spicey flavour, BUT it really tasted like pumpkin you have with dinner.
For people who make these regular, what is the best pumpkin/buttercup or what that isnt so strong. This one had a real buttercup taste. I love pumpkin, but this was really strong.

marcs, May 13, 6:50am
Have you tried cookessentials pumpkin spice loaf. It is really yum and you can't taste the pumpkin in it.

marcs, May 13, 6:57am
Pumpkin Spice Loaf

3 Cups castor Sugar
1 cup sunflower oil
4 eggs lightly beaten
500g cooked mashed pumpkin (cook in the microwave)

3½ cup plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

1 heaped tsp ground cloves
1 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
1 heaped tsp ground nutmeg
1 heaped tsp ground all spice

2/3 cup of water

Cream sugar and oil; add eggs one at a time. Add pumpkin and mix till well combined. Sift all dry ingredients together and add to the mixture alternating with water.
Pour into two lined tins and bake at 170c for 1½ hours. Test with a skewer to see if cooked. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out to cool. This freezes well so wrap in mono foil and throw in the freezer for later (if it lasts that long). People that don’t like pumpkin absolutely love this ie you don’t tell them what is in it. Just say spice loaf.

cookessentials, May 13, 7:53am
Korbo, you should definately try my pumpkin loaves. You dont need to line the tins though marcs, just butter and flour them, shaking of the excess. I have a friend who made these for a husband who "does not like" pumpkin - well, lets just say he is a convert! !

cookessentials, May 13, 8:00am
Pam's Pumpkin Loaves (makes two)
Ingredients:
3 cups of castor sugar
1 cup salad/sunflower oil
4 eggs, lightly beaten
3 & 1/2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup water
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground cloves
(tsp of spices do not need to be level - up to you, but I like spicy. )
500g pumpkin, cooked and mashed
(cut pumpkin into big chunks-leave the skin on and put into a microwave proof dish with a little water and cover with gladwrap-leave a loose corner for steam to escape. Cook for 8-9 minutes-just be careful removing the wrap-its hot! ! When it is cool enough to handle, slice the skin off with a sharp paring knife).
Method:
Cream sugar and oil with electric mixer in LARGE bowl, add eggs and pumpkin, mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with the water. Grease and flour your loaf tins. When you fill them, they will be close to the top of the tin. Using a cup to get mixture into tins -gets them even. Bake at 175c for 1 & 1/2 hours. Let them stand 10 minutes before turning out. NOTE:These will rise VERY high in the tin, so don't panic. I test mine with a skewer in the middle because they sometimes need a little extra time. They freeze beautifully and they keep moist for ages too. Anyone who does not like pumpkin-just tell them it is a spice loaf- I can bet they will love it. .

marcs, Apr 27, 5:50pm
Thanks Pam. It is just one of those habits to line my pans. Just a mental thing so that I know the loaves will come out.