Cook essentials.....help

korbo, May 13, 5:58am
the cake i am making is using 1 1/2kg of mixed fruit. will a 23cm sq tin be ok. the only other tin i have is 16cm sq. I need it to feed around 20 people... can you/anyone advise. thanks

marcs, May 13, 6:48am
23 to 25 cm is fine. Fruit cake does not rise much. If you feel there is too much, just make the extra batter in muffin tins. That way you don't waste them.

mbos, May 13, 6:51am
Oooh, can I jump on in here? !

Cook essentials, I understand you run a kitchenware shop, and know a bit (quite a bit, lol! ) about cookware?

I'm looking at getting my husband a crepe pan for his birthday, would Le Creuset be good, or a lighter non-stick pan?

korbo, May 13, 7:20am
. .

cookessentials, May 13, 7:46am
It SHOULD be ok. Below is a recipe using 2kg of fruit and a 26cm tin.

* 2kg mixed dried fruit
* 500g butter
* 500g brown sugar
* 1 Tbsp golden syrup
* zest and juice of 1 lemon
* 1 tsp mixed spice
* 1 tsp cinnamon
* 1 tsp curry powder
* ½ tsp salt
* 125g chopped blanched almonds
* 1 glass brandy or rum (200 ml)
* 2 Tbsp cornflour
* 8 eggs, beaten
* 500g flour
* 1 tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp baking soda

Put fruit, butter, sugar and golden syrup into a large saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring to stop the mixture burning. Add lemon, spices, salt, chopped almonds and brandy.

Stirring continuously, simmer for 10 minutes, then add cornflour. Mix well and remove from heat. Leave to cool thoroughly.

Beat eggs. Sift flour, baking powder and baking soda, add alternately to cooled fruit mixture. Bake in the middle of the oven at 160˚C for 30 minutes. Then 120˚C for 4 hours.

cookessentials, May 13, 7:50am
Hi Megan
Le crueset are definately a good brand. We do not stock it any longer so I am not up to speed with their crepe pan. There are various good ones available. Mastrad ( France) is one that we have had- in fact sold the last one in stock on Trademe last night. American "Lodge" cast iron is extremely good and would be camparible with Le Crueset- I can check my catalogue tomorrow to give you an idea of sizes and prices if you would like me to?

cookessentials, May 13, 8:06am
http://www.lodgemfg.com/

sqiff, May 13, 8:17am
I have a query for cook essentials or anyone else that may be able to help please. I purchased a really good cooks knife awhile ago and want to sharpen it. I have a sharpening steel that I got years ago with a cheap set of knives and wondered if I can use it or should I get a good one. I don't want to ruin the Knife but don't know if there are different grades of sharpeners. Any advise would be appreciated.

cookessentials, May 13, 8:29am
If you have purchased a good knife, then definately buy yourself a good sharpening steel. One of the best is a diamond coated steel. Either that or get your knife professionally sharpened.

sqiff, May 13, 8:48am
Thanks for that cookessentials. I might get it sharpened by a professional as my sharpening skills are not the best. I suppose I will find them in the Yellow pages. Thanks again.

cookessentials, May 13, 8:55am
If you have a "House Of Knives" in your town, they should be able to give you some recommendations. Total Food Equipment in Christchurch also deal with top quality German Henckels knives - if you call in and ask for Iain, he will also be able to recommend someone- he used to be with the distributor of Henckels knives in New Zealand before starting up TFE - just tell him Pam recommended you see him in regards to sharpening.

sqiff, May 13, 9:17am
x1
You are so helpful cookessentials. Many thanks once again.

herika, Apr 29, 4:17am
Good thread :)