Vegetarian sweet corn recipes please?

hezwez, Jan 23, 7:06am
Pak 'N Save practically giving them away yesterday & they're so fresh, bought around 10 & I'm the only one who likes them. Tough bikkies for rest of family, they're seasonal & cheap end of story. Has anyone suggestions apart from fritters/salad/buttery cobs please that might appeal? Thanks

lilyfield, Jan 23, 8:30am
Chilli con carne,with corn instead of beans,yum.

cottagerose, Jan 23, 8:51am
You could blanch them and freeze them if you have the room in your freezer

hezwez, Jan 23, 8:57pm
Thanks both of you.

frances1266, Jan 23, 9:10pm
I used to make a delicious recipe years ago calle d Summer Stew by Deborah Madison. When I stopped eating dairy I replaced the cream in it with coconut cream. It has red pepper, tomato, corn, courgette, basil is what I remember and it is served on penne or other small pasta. It is absolutely yummy. Must have it again soon.

uli, Jan 24, 5:38am
Ummm - sweet corn is vegetarian. Cook it, add butter and salt and there you go.

If no-one else eats it then cook it, take the kernels off and freeze it in small portions to add to soups, stews, make fritters or a big corn frittata (uses eggs of course)

Or you could check out "Bite" - our own homegrown recipe site:
http://www.bite.co.nz/collections/2512/Sweet-corn/

nauru, Jan 24, 5:49am
I just remove the kernals, package and pop into the freezer, no blanching. They kept well too, no freezer burn.

linette1, Jan 24, 6:03am
An oldie. Kiwi Quiche
1 onion med. finely chopped
2-3 cups of seasonal veges eg. carrot, corgette, sweet corn, chopped tomatoes, peppers, beans or asparagus (tinned drain well) , finely chopped mushrooms and always some spinach or silverbeet finely chopped, cooked chopped potato, kumara or pumpkin. Or any of your own choices. (sun dried tomatoes are nice)
1/4 cup grated tasty cheese & (2tsps parmesan cheese which can be optional.)
3 eggs
1 cup of non-fat milk
1/2 cup self raising flour or normal flour mixed well with a 1 tsp baking powder and sieved.
freshly ground pepper & salt
Method: spray 25 cm quiche dish with with cooking oil place the finely chopped onions and other veges into the dish.
Scatter with cheese. Lightly beat the eggs & milk together, add the flour and mix well to ensure no lumps, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Pour over veges.
Bake at 200 degrees centigrade for 30-35 mins or until golden brown and set. Serve hot or cold.

hezwez, Jan 24, 7:46am
Thanks guys. Some delicious clever ideas there. Might need to go and buy some more!

ruby19, Jan 24, 7:47am
Ottolenghi sweetcorn polenta recipe is really good. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/20/vegetarianfood.recipes.

uli, Jan 24, 10:22pm
Freezer burn occurs when the plastic packaging is too thin or has been damaged (often bones sticking out etc).

uli, Jan 24, 10:27pm
Sadly the link doesn't work?

venditor, Jan 24, 10:34pm
Google helps:
Sweetcorn Polenta with eggplant sauce ~ Ottolenghi
THE INGREDIENTS
Eggplant Sauce
2/3 cups olive oil
1 medium globe eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch dice
2 teaspoons tomato paste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 cup chopped peeled tomatoes (fresh or canned)
6 1/2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon chopped oregano

Polenta
2 ears sweet corn kernels
4 cups cooked polenta (cook as directed on label using butter)
Butter, as needed for cooking polenta
Salt, to taste
THE DIRECTIONS
Heat up the oil in a large saucepan and fry the eggplant on medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until nicely brown. Drain the oil.
Add the tomato paste to the pan and stir with the eggplant. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the wine and cook for 1 minute.
Add the chopped tomatoes, water, salt, sugar and oregano and cook for 5 minutes to get a deep-flavored sauce. Set aside; warm it up when needed.
For the polenta, the original recipe doesn't call for cornmeal polenta but we used it. Cook the polenta as directed with butter and salt to taste. Fold in the corn after 10 minutes of initial simmering.
Top off the polenta and eggplant with sauteed mushrooms, if desired.

hezwez, Nov 1, 1:59am
Thanks venditor. Looks scrummy.