Ruth Pretty Biscuit Recipe

petmacorpltd, Sep 13, 5:44am
I am looking for a lemon and ginger biscuit I used make years ago - for the life of me I can't find it in the many RP books I have. You make the dough and refrigerate. They are delicious thin wafery biscuits. If you have this recipe I would be grateful if you would post it. TIA.

eastie3, Sep 13, 5:45am
You could always contact Ruth directly, she's very helpful.

ksr, Dec 24, 11:40am
CRYSTALLISED GINGER SHORTBREAD
Makes 75-80
This makes buttery, crisp little ginger shortbread to store in a jar to serve at any time of day. I particularly love them with tea or coffee, but they take on a new life served with dessert wine or port and your favourite blue cheese. The yield is large but remember they are only little biscuits.
Baked shortbread stores well in freezer, but also freeze pieces of the raw dough to bake biscuits later.

Ingredients
125g unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces, at room temperature
⅓ cup sugar
1 egg yolk
1 cup + 1 tablespoon flour
⅓ cup crystallised ginger, finely chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest

Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer fitted with the paddle (or "K") beater for 3-4 minutes or until smooth. (Alternatively, beat with a wooden spoon.)
Add the egg yolk and beat until combined.
Remove the bowl from the mixer and sift in the flour. Add the ginger and orange zest and mix until a dough has formed.
Place the dough onto a large piece of plastic wrap and, using the plastic wrap to cover your hand, flatten the dough into a block 2cm thick and 10cm x 11.5cm. Wrap in the plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm.
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
Place the dough on a board and, using a sharp knife, cut it into 4 equal pieces, then cut each piece into small pieces, about 6-7mm. Place onto the prepared trays and into the preheated oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until firm and the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a cooling rack.
When cool, store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to a week, or freeze for up to 3 months.