Maple syrup once opened

eljayv, May 12, 8:37am
should be refrigerated but how long can it keep for in the fridge?

245sam, May 12, 8:47am
eljayv, I assume that your maple syrup doesn't have a date on it for you to use as a guide?
A few years back I had a bottle of genuine (i. e. not mock or maple-flavoured) syrup in the refrigerator for ages (probably about a good couple of years) - it was so expensive at the time that I used it sparingly right to the last drop and it was good as right to that last drop which I used to make a special meal of pickled pork that much more special by cooking the pork in cider and the last ¼ cup of that precious maple-syrup.

Hope that helps. :-))

eljayv, May 12, 9:21am
yes mine is the genuine product and has been used only a couple of times. I am cooking a lot of feijoas at the moment for freezing and was thinking of using some for sweetening as a change from honey and ginger so it sounds like it should be okay.

wineo, May 12, 11:58pm
Hi 245sam, would you be willing to share the recipies i. e. amount of cider and what kind of cider.
cheers

245sam, May 13, 12:20am
Hi wineo, the recipe I used for crockpot-cooking the pickled pork is in one of Joan Bishop's books and it can also be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=10&t=196

Look for "Pickled Pork With Fruit & Cider". I almost always use that recipe but using only the cider and maple syrup and not the fruit - on the occasion as in #2 when I found that I had only about 1/4 cup maple syrup available I found that to be quite sufficient although the 1/2 cup maple syrup does add a bit more flavour.
As for "what kind of cider" - sorry, I can't tell you which brand as I've used different brands according to whichever is the cheapest at the supermarket at the time but I can tell you that I always use the full 1. 5 litre of whichever sparkling cider I've bought.

Hope that helps. :-))

missmalice, May 13, 1:45am
ha i've had a pottle of maple syrup for like 2 years and it's still ok! :)
HAsn't posioned me yet - AND I keep it in the cupboard... .

cookessentials, May 13, 2:46am
Apparently, it will last up to four years.

cookessentials, May 13, 3:04am
Have found a maple syrup site with all the faq's
http://www.lbmapletreat.com/faq/m_faq.htm

eljayv, May 13, 4:22am
I have also googled and found a chef who says maple syrup is like honey and it can keep almost forever but can crystalise and be brought back just like honey.

annabella94, May 3, 7:47pm
we kept ours in the cupboard. After a few months, maybe a year, there was a film of mould on the top.
Gutted.
Haven't replaced it as rarely use it. Normal cheapo syrup lasts fine though in our cupboard (sods law)

DEFINTELY will keep in fridge in future