A recipe for beef olives please

autumnwinds, Jun 12, 11:34am
** Bump**

An old, but economical and relatively quick meal

fredes, Jun 15, 3:14am
Oven or slow cooker

245sam, Jun 15, 3:56am
fredes, here's a couple of recipes from the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Beef Olives
Cut schnitzels in half longways, put 2 tablespoons of stuffing at one end and roll up, secure with a toothpick. Put into a casserole dish and pour over any flavour gravy to just cover. Bake 180 for 45 minutes
posted by brooksy1

Beef Olives from the Edmonds Cookbook
1 C soft breadcrumbs, 1/2 Cup chopped prunes, 1 small onion finely chopped, 1/2 tsp grated lemon rind, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 6 pieces beef schnitzel, 2 Tbsp oil, 2 Tbsp Std plain flour, 3/4 cup beef stock, 2 Tbsp soy sauce - Combine breadcrumps, prunes, onion, lemon rind & thyme. Lay pieces of schnitzel out flat. Divide breadcrumb mixture evenly amoung pieces of meat. Spread each piece of meat with mixture then roll up like a sponge roll. Secure with toothpicks or string. Heat oil in a frying pan. Add beef olives & brown on all sides. Transfer to a casserole dish. Stir flour into frying pan & cook for 1min. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly. Bring to boil. Add soy sauce. Pour this over beef olives. Cook at 160 deg C for 30-40mins or until meat is tender. Remove toothpicks before serving. Serves 4. You can also use Pork schnitzel in place of beef but it may be necessary to double the pieces of schnitzel as pork is usually smaller in size.
posted by pennysaver"

Edited to add the following which I have made as an easy alternative to Beef Olives.

BAKED SCHNITZEL ROLLS
I modified the original recipe as I visualised the bread on the outside of the rolls (as in the original recipe) becoming mushy and thickening the gravy rather than being a filling/’stuffing’ for the meat.

1 packet soup mix (I use French Onion or Oxtail)
1½ cups water
ready-mixed mustard (mild, hot, grainy)
herbs (I usually use dried mixed or thyme but whatever is available and preferred)
toothpicks
per person: 1 thinly cut beef slice/schnitzel
1 crustless thinly cut slice bread (white, wheaten, grain…)

In an ovenproof dish mix the soup mix and water, ensuring that there are no lumps. Bring the soup mix-gravy to the boil in the microwave whilst stirring it every minute or so. Allow the gravy to cool.
Lay the meat on a flat surface and quite generously spread each slice with mustard. Place 1 bread slice on each meat slice. Sprinkle the bread with herbs (not too generously). In the same way as one would roll spring rolls, fold the sides of the meat in (if sufficiently big enough) and roll the meat whilst encasing the bread. Secure the rolls with toothpicks. Place the rolls in the gravy and cover the dish.
Bake at 160°C-180°C for 1-1½ hours – the time will depend mainly on the size of the meat rolls and the thickness of the schnitzels.

Hope the above helps. :-))

fredes, Aug 30, 5:04pm
Thanks Sam.

The Edmonds looks the real deal.
Will give that a go.
Cheers