Old Sponge Recipe

harrislucinda, Jan 14, 7:28pm
seems a lot of sugar just for a 4 egg sponge my sponge uses only 4 tlbsps

zirconium, Jan 15, 8:18pm
madj, thanks very much for this recipe, beautiful gluten free sponge cake, made tiramisu xxx

fifie, Jan 18, 3:16am
Sounds like a very old recipe i have, which is good with jelly in the middle.
Sponge
( This rises higher than usual sponge, you need a big mixer. )
Heat oven to 190c. Grease and paper 2 round sponge tins putting lightly oiled paper well up sides of tins (about 3 inches high) as these sponges rise up higher than the normal ones do.
4 eggs
6 oz sugar
4 oz cornflour
2 oz flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking powder
Pinch salt
2 tablespoon water.
Beat egg whites till stiff. Add sugar and water gradually at boiling point, (put in saucepan and bring to boil stirring so it dosent burn) then add egg yolks beat well till nice and fluffy. Carefully fold in dry ingredients. Put mixture into 2 tins and bake about 15 minutes till well risen (don’t keep opening oven door lets heat out they will not rise).
Cool, and take out of tins.

tobie2, Dec 20, 4:32am
Hi all, a friend is looking for an old sponge recipe she has lost. You beat the egg whites, and while that is happening you bring to the boil the sugar and water, then drizzle it in to the egg whites while they are still beating.
Apparently it never fails. Thanks

madj, Dec 20, 6:34am
This is the only one I can think of that uses this method.

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons water
4 eggs, separated
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1⁄2 cups cornflour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1 1⁄4 cups whipping cream
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
1⁄4 cup strawberry jam, warmed
250 g strawberries, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon icing sugar

Preheat oven to 180C (350F). Coat 2 spring form pans with baking spray, then line with baking paper. The baking spray helps keep the paper from moving around.
In a microwave bowl or small saucepan, place the sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Stir every now and then to dissolve the sugar.
Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until stiff. Slowly drizzle in the hot sugar mixture with the mixer running. Then beat really hard for 3 minutes. Mix in egg yolks and vanilla.
Sift together cornstarch, baking powder and salt. Carefully fold these into the egg mixture. Pour into prepared pans.
Bake 18-20 minutes. As soon as you remove them from the oven, drop the pans from knee height, square on the floor - seriously! This is a strange sponge making trick that 'shocks' the cake and stops it from deflating.
Then immediatly turn sponges out onto a wire rack or baking paper to cool upside down.
Beat cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Warm jam for a few seconds in the microwave.
Place one sponge on the serving plate. Spread first with jam, then whipped cream.Top with strawberry slices. Then put second sponge on top. Dust with icing .

malcovy, Dec 20, 6:43am
Oh I am going to make this for trifle, thank you both.

malcovy, Dec 21, 7:33pm
I made this sponge this morning and the only different thing I will change is the amount of salt, 1/2 tsp is too much. I will try it with 1/4 tsp next time. a great sponge recipe.

wheelz, Dec 21, 8:22pm
What size tins please?

malcovy, Jan 14, 5:46pm
I used normal round sandwich tins but were too shallow. I would recommend a paper rim.