Chocolate ganach

Page 1 / 2
princessboo2, Jan 26, 10:20am
valentino wrote:
Interested in the use of custard and egg yolk in your ganach, could you please post your actual recipe, it will be worthy of a try or at least see how and what amounts you use.

Sure- sorry for the delay. hope you like it, I find it's always a huge hit but would be keen to get your thoughts :)

In one bowl, Beat 200g butter with 1Tbls caster sugar until nicely creamed. Add 2 egg yolks and beat.

In another bowl, heat 200g thick Swiss Maid custard or similar (I like that one) with 100g dark chocolate (I use dark choc melts)
Heat in microwave for about 30 secs then mix, back in microwave for approx another 30 secs or until just melted.
Mix well (I just use a folk or spoon) until smooth

Add choc custard to the other bowl with the butter concoction and beat together, add one and a half Tbls of chocolate or coffee liqueur, beat
Taste and add more liquer to taste.
Ta da - it's ready to plaster on your cake, pipe it on, lick the spoon!:)

Enjoy!

valentino, Jan 26, 8:06pm
That looks really interesting and will give it a goer next time.

Cheers

bethd754, Feb 5, 8:26am
Dark chocolate ganache the ratio is 2-1 ( for example 200g dark chocolate to 100ml cream or white chocolate ganache is 3 in 1.) I am going to decorate a chocolate cake for my friends tomorrow using chocolate ganache and thats the ratio I always use and always come out will.

kiwiscrapper1, Dec 25, 8:16pm
What ratio do you use, so many different recipes I havent made for a while and Im sure I used equal cream to chocolate?

valentino, Dec 25, 11:25pm
3 mil of cream to 4 grams of dark choc and a tablespoon of butter per 120 grams (half of a Bar) of choc.

Cheers

gennie, Dec 26, 7:01pm
I think generally the more chocolate, the harder it will set. Do at least 1 to 1 and never more cream than choc.

valentino, Dec 26, 8:34pm
The butter is the vital part for ideal texture.

Cheers.

kiwiscrapper1, Dec 27, 1:42am
Thanks people, had to google and found lots most were one to one but none of them had butter? Some had milk or vanilla but just stayed with cream and chocolate

sarahb5, Dec 28, 3:45am
I usually do half and half but never added butter

wheelz, Dec 28, 10:21am
This is the recipe I use. doesn't need butter
https://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/chocolate-ganache/280/

tazdevil38, Dec 28, 7:17pm
You don't need to add butter. Has always been fine for me not adding it

valentino, Dec 28, 8:57pm
Have any of you folks above tried it with a little butter in it, Try it if you have not.

Cheers

sarahb5, Dec 28, 10:22pm
No never have - if it works without then why would we? Have you tried it without butter? Interested to know what difference it makes given that butter and cream are basically the same thing in different form

valentino, Dec 28, 11:11pm
I have had both and I prefer it with the butter and others loved it whenever I've done them with butter though never mentioned it so must do next time to know if they detect any differences.

Cheers

valentino, Dec 28, 11:19pm
Here is the recipe that is very well used and popular.

For the Ganache;
180 mil cream
2 tablespoons butter
240 grams dark chocolate chopped small.

Ganache;
Put cream and butter into saucepan and heat until just below boiling point.
Remove from heat add chocolate and stir until melted and all is smooth in texture.
Leave for a few minutes until it starts to thicken.
Place the cake on a large serving dish by inverting cake from rack.
Slowly pour over the Choc Ganache evenly all over the cake, allowing excess to drip or run down all sides.
Allow to set completely cooled, can be refrigerated.

Hint, If using a Ring type Cake then best to have all excess choc welled inside the middle of cake rather than spilling over the outside edge of cake, dish edge and onto the work place surface.

sarahb5, Dec 28, 11:30pm
But what difference does it make?

valentino, Dec 29, 12:43am
The Texture as in post #4.

sarahb5, Dec 29, 12:49am
Can you explain what you mean - mine is usually thick and fudgy so how is it different with butter in it?

kiwitrish, Dec 29, 1:01am
I thought that the butter adds to the shine.

valentino, Dec 29, 2:31am
Butter does add a bit of shine but the main thing is the texture is a lot smoother and softer and tastes great.

Cheers

sarahb5, Dec 29, 4:10am
But when I’ve made ganache its all of those things anyway that’s why I’m struggling to see what difference the butter makes but if I remember I’ll give it a try next time

valentino, Dec 29, 6:06am
You asked why I use Butter and I've just noted to you why. It is always up to each individual how or what they do and I do not have any problems with that, just merely suggesting that butter works great.

Cheers.

wheelz, Dec 29, 10:25am
Damn. now I have to make a choccy cake. well, tomorrow

princessboo2, Dec 29, 11:21am
Mine has butter and custard, egg yolk and choc melts. always perfectly divine.

valentino, Nov 10, 6:58am
Interested in the use of custard and egg yolk in your ganach, could you please post your actual recipe, it will be worthy of a try or at least see how and what amounts you use.

Cheers and Thank You.