Watties Cream Style Corn

petal1955, Nov 2, 5:48am
What have they done to this. Its horrible used to be nice and creamy now its dry and horrible over processed? Have complained to Heinz NZ and waiting on a reply. any one else had problems ?

cottagerose, Nov 2, 6:22am
Yes I've found the same

petal1955, Nov 2, 7:00am
Ok that good thought it was just me

robyn35, Nov 2, 7:02am
no problems here so far and i use it quite a lot

korbo, Nov 2, 8:36am
Don't buy Watties for corn fritters. I find Oak, Pams, Budget better.

kara101, Nov 2, 10:59am
Just make you own, buy whole kernal corn in the can and whiz it to desired consistency. That is all it is cheaper too.

letitia, Nov 2, 11:23am
I stopped buying it a long time ago after finding the consistency and taste had changed. I used to use it often when it was smooth and creamy. I use only frozen corn now when I make fritters, savouries, etc.

karlymouse, Nov 3, 1:00am
I used to like it also. but not now. and I don't have a thing to whizz up my own creamed corn. it doesn't actually work just cutting the kernals off the cob. you need something to batter the whole kernal around.

harrislucinda, Nov 3, 3:07am
old use by date can dry out Must have a look at mine can i have in the cupboard

dezzie, Nov 3, 11:39pm
Oak creamed corn has always been best.

fxx99, Nov 4, 1:36am
Always seems curdled to me. Still like in a toasted sandwich though.

petal1955, Nov 5, 8:39pm
Like to eat it on toast with some grated cheese on top. might have to look at other varieties

petal1955, Nov 6, 5:50am
Got a reply from Heinz today $5 voucher in the post. Obviously they know there are problems

holly-rocks, Nov 6, 6:51am
I have not noticed any difference but I do grab the sugar free one. Cant stand Oak, its far too mushy for my liking.

strathview, Nov 6, 8:01am
The kids were complaining about the watties corn on the cob the other night. It tasted a bit different and we all noticed it. It seemed to have a much stronger taste. Could have been the type of growing season or they are using a different variety. We are having a go at growing our own again here as we grew it several years ago and it was wonderful.

holly-rocks, Nov 6, 8:27pm
You cant beat homegrown corn! So much nicer than shop bought as the sugar content drops after harvest then sits around at the supermarket. Homegrown is a million times better :)

uli, Nov 7, 5:33am
$5 for all this?
If you are not living in a high style Auckland apartment - why not grow 30 or 50 plants now and never worry again? Yes do buy SEEDS rather than plants .

uli, Nov 7, 5:38am
Umm - corn is being planted now. So not sure where you got "corn on the cob" . "the other night".
As above - just plant some yourselves and see what the seasons for veges are and how they grow. Very educational for the kids too .

Good on you for giving it another go this year.

jennyp2, Nov 7, 7:50am
maybe check where the ingredients come from, sometimes out of season produce is bought in from overseas. Asparagus is a classic and that's the Watties brand.

strathview, Nov 7, 10:19am
It was a packet of watties frozen corn on the cob. We have tried the vacuum packed too but it wasn't nice enough for the price. My plants are now just under half a metre high so I'm really looking forward to nice corn on the cob later. Its quite a challenge to grow here but it is amazing what can be grown in tunnel houses.

petal1955, Dec 6, 3:07am
petal1955 wrote:

Got a reply from Heinz today $5 voucher in the post. Obviously they know there are problems

$5 for all this?
If you are not living in a high style Auckland apartment - why not grow 30 or 50 plants now and never worry again? Yes do buy SEEDS rather than plants .

Uli I dont want corn coming out of my ears. Happy to buy a tin when and if needed.

uli (651 651 positive feedback) 6:33 pm, Tue 7 Nov #18