Toadfish's Rice Salad

shepa1, Dec 23, 11:30am
Love this salad! I am making it, and 2 other salads for Christmas Day but I am shocking at deciding how much to make. For 16 adults and two children, would I make 1 1/2 times or 2 times the amount? I am thinking x2 but like I say I always have food leftover. not a bad thing as we can live on leftovers for a while!

petal1955, Dec 23, 4:41pm
If someone could post her original recipe would be much appreciated. I've lost my copy.

nanasee1, Dec 23, 5:43pm
Brown Rice Salad
Best Salad ever! 1 cup brown rice, 1 3/4 cup water, 1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available), 1/2 onion finely chopped, Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool(a couple of hours preferably overnight) Add the following ~ 1 red pepper chopped 1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped 1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas. Dressing: 1/4 cup olive oil 2 tbsp lemon juice 1 tsp grated lemon rind 1 clove garlic crushed 1 tsp fresh ginger 1 tsp honey pinch of salt. Mix and pour over salad
posted by toadfish

shepa1, Dec 23, 7:54pm
It may be my tastebuds, but I always put more honey in the dressing?

dibble35, Dec 23, 9:57pm
This is such a nice salad, everyone comments on how good it is. I've been using black rice or a combo of black and brown and its really nice - good visual appeal as well.

toadfish, Dec 24, 8:42am
I would double the recipe. as if there is any left over it lasts for a couple of days in the fridge. hope this isnt too late.

toadfish, Dec 24, 8:43am
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

toadfish, Dec 24, 8:45am
Above is my recipe. the one posted above has been tweaked by someone and reposted . i have never put salt in the dressing. plenty of salt in the Soya Sauce without adding anymore.

karlymouse, Dec 24, 10:48am
I always liked it but my Husband hated it. what is it with men :) why can't they like the same stuff as women and corriander

nanasee1, Dec 25, 2:55am
Apologies toadfish, I pasted what I had copied and saved from the recipe page a long time ago. I will replace that copy with the accurate one.

cameron-albany, Dec 25, 8:59am
I just made that and it was lovely! I didn't have everything in the list so I sub'ed the peanuts for hazelnuts & macadamias, and added cranberries instead of sultanas. I also added some yellow courgette and cucumber (because I have CRAPLOADS of them in my garden at the moment! ) It turned out just fabulous and I've eaten two bowls full! That recipe is definitely a keeper and I love it because it's obviously very versatile depending on what you have on hand in the fridge/pantry.

moore., Dec 25, 1:12pm
oh dear, i mistook the soya for worchester sauce .

toadfish, Dec 25, 5:59pm
Absolutely. I often mix and match. and quite often I completely miss out any fresh vegetables. just add the seeds and sultanas. then I serve it with a medley of fresh vegetable salads as well. My new favourite is Beetroot and Carrot - Energy salad. here is the recipe . but I miss out the mint. as I am not a big mint fan.

toadfish, Dec 25, 6:01pm
Ripe's raw energy salad

Ingredients
500 g Beetroot, raw, peeled and grated
700 g Carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup Mint leaves, roughly chopped
½ cup Raisins
¼ cup Sunflower seeds, toasted
¼ cup Pumpkin seeds, toasted
½ tsp Salt

Dressing
2 Tbsp Balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp Pomegranate molasses
¼ cup Orange juice
¼ cup Olive oil
1 Tbsp Honey

Directions
1.To prepare the dressing: place all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight fitting lid. Shake well to combine.
2.To prepare the salad: in a large serving bowl, combine the beetroot, carrot, mint, raisins, seeds and salt and mix.
3.Pour over the dressing – toss again when ready to serve

toadfish, Dec 25, 6:03pm
Don't apologise. I have even done the same thing (copied and pasted from another thread) and then realised that someone (I think Fisher even admitted it) added the pinch of salt and missed out something they didn't like. Bit like Chinese whispers lol.

dibble35, Dec 25, 6:40pm
The recipe i've been making all these years was the first one posted (not toadfish's original) , Just as well as if i'd seen sultanas in it i may never have made it. blurkkkkk, dont get this thing with putting sultanas in salads, its just wrong! (IMO) LOL. I've got this salad all sitting in my fridge/bench, ready to be assembled just before lunch today. Unfortunately its just started to rain up here in Whangarei, may not be able to eat outside as we'd planned.

rainrain1, Dec 25, 7:56pm
But then you see, I reckon apple in salads is all wrong!

dibble35, Nov 12, 10:46am
I'd agree with that as well. I think all fruit in salads (savoury salads) and curries is wrong, I still shudder at the 'curries' my mum made us when we were kids, they had sultanas and i believe banana? in them.