Oxtail Soup

rainrain1, Jul 25, 7:30pm
You might have to google. ox tail doesn't have to have wine anyway. it's just as good without

http://www.africanbites.com/slow-cooker-oxtail-soup/

lythande1, Jul 25, 7:55pm
The thing to remember is cook it the day before. Let it sit overnight, then skim off the huge layer of yellow fat that will accumulate. Otherwise it will be swimming in grease.

rainrain1, Jul 25, 9:19pm
Yes, be sure to take the fat off the top

buzzy110, Jul 26, 12:58am
Totally agree.

I don't see that there is any benefit to cooking it in the slow cooker considering they really do need to be cooked for a few hours first.

I cooked oxtail soup exactly the same way as I cook bacon hock vegetable soup only leave out the lentils and barley, though both can be used anyway.

I precook the meat and bone portion till tender then cool and strip meat, skin and fat off the bones, cut up and return to the stock. Discard the bones if you must or use them to make bone broth. Refrigerate overnight to let the flavour develop.

I don't like overcooked vegetables in my soup so I make it fresh each time using the stock and it takes no effort at all. Just dice up vegetables and here is a sample of what I used last night:

Onion, celery, fresh ginger, leeks (the lighter green inside leaves are great to use as well), carrot, swede, watercress, Chinese cabbage, tender part of a cauliflower stem, some cauliflower flowerettes and the same with broccoli. Throw it all in with enough stock (from the precooked oxtail) and meat to make a soup, add salt into an appropriate sized pot, bring to the boil, simmer for 10mins and serve.

The last part, I suppose, can be done in a slow cooker but why bother, it only takes less than 10mins once brought to the boil.

For bacon hock soup I add precooked lentils and, if you use them, barley to the mix when it comes to the boil.

rainrain1, Jul 26, 5:49am
Don't ever throw the bones out without sucking them first, that is one of the delicious things about cooking an ox tail, especially the ends of each bone section. the nearer the bone, the sweeter the meat

awoftam, Jul 26, 7:02am
It's a pity its so flippin expensive now, esp as most of what you are paying for is fat and bone. I have a lovely ragu recipe for oxtail however it gets really expensive if making a large lot.

grouch, Jul 26, 8:47pm
Would you like to post your recipe for the ragu please? I may change my mind and make it instead.

grouch, Jul 26, 8:56pm
Thank you buzzy. That looks great. Have decided there is no benefit of putting it in the slow cooker.

rainrain1, Jul 26, 9:04pm
But it's only a treat you make once in a blue moon, unless you have endless access to them

grouch, Jul 27, 3:24am
I have been given the oxtail. A beast was killed off the farm here and no one else wanted it and would have been fed to the dogs.

rainrain1, Jul 27, 4:12am
Good on you, we love it, but haven't had one for a few years, reading this thread makes me want one now though

awoftam, Jul 27, 5:19am
Here it is - don't forget the worcestershire; makes all the difference in this dish. I usually serve it with pasta and parmesan. Delicious.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/insanely-good-oxtail-stew/

grouch, Jul 25, 3:40am
I would like to make an oxtail soup in the slow cooker so has anyone got a tried and true recipe for me please? I dont have any red wine on hand so not a recipe with wine. Thanks.

smallwoods, Sep 25, 11:57am
apple cider or whiskey, coconut milk is also good.