Garlic sauce

jellabie, May 27, 12:38am
I have been googling today because my stock of garlic sauce is dwindling. Trouble is I cannot find a recipe online. I remember this recipe makes a large amount, and that the ingredients include worcestershire sauce, vinegar, a large amount of fresh garlic, and molasses. The results is a black, sweet, and savoury sauce, perfect with schnitzel. I know the recipe used to be online but I just can't find it today, I have checked my bookmarks as well. Does this sauce ring any bells with anyone?

245sam, May 27, 3:15am
From the former Trade Me Cooks - this recipe has Worcestershire sauce and treacle but no molasses.

"GARLIC SAUCE
1 large Onion, 150 grams (or more) Garlic, 2 tablespoons of whole Cloves, 1 and a 1/2 teaspoons ground Ginger, 1 tablespoon Salt, 250 grams Brown Sugar, 1 kg Treacle, 5 cups Malt Vinegar, 1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce. Mince the Onion and unpeeled Garlic and combine with remaining ingredients except the Worcestershire Sauce,let stand over night. Next day,slowly bring to the mixture to the boil and cook gently,uncovered for 1 hour, stir occasionally. Rub the sauce through a sieve,then add the Worcestershire Sauce and pour into sterilised bottles and seal. Makes about 2 litres. A perfect potent sauce for flavouring stews,casseroles,meat loaves etc.
posted by meandog"

Hope that helps. :-))

fifie, May 28, 12:04am
This is a old black sauce recipe i used to make years ago for late SIL. who loved garlic, and hot spicy food. Its very hot,
Black Sauce.
4 litres vinegar
3 teasp salt
3 tins treacle
1 bottle of salted anchovys
3 dessertspoons black pepper
2 level desertspoons cayenne pepper.
1 packet 25gr whole cloves
100gr chopped garlic.
1 kg brown sugar
Boil all together for 1 hour, strain and bottle.

cleggyboy, May 28, 8:11pm
Digby Law had a goody in his recipe book if you can find someone with a copy.

jellabie, Sep 13, 3:17am
Thank you both so much! I was working on memory, but as soon as I saw the word treacle I knew that this would the same recipe. I had better get cooking!