Today I made Alison Holst Christmas pickle

cottagerose, Oct 1, 6:53am
I have made it before, exactly the same recipe and it was a nice bright colour but the one today is quite dark. Could this be because maybe I boiled it too long. The recipe didn't say how long to boil. It just said bring to the boil. I boiled for about 20 minutes.

melford, Oct 1, 7:30am
Yes I would say it was boiled far too long. Recipe says "bring to the boil" then take off heat and add cornflour mixed with water to thicken the pour into sterilized jars. There is nothing inb the recipe that needs cooking that long and the vinegar preserves it.

nauru, Oct 1, 8:05am
I've made that recipe a few times. As in post#2, "bring to boil and thicken". That way the pickle doesn't soften too much.

cottagerose, Oct 1, 8:49am
Thankyou both. I will remember for my next batch. Ill use this lot in stews etc and make a fresh batch to have with sour cream and crackers. It's deliscious when done properly.

petal1955, Oct 1, 7:25pm
Would you be able topost the recipe for this. sounds nice

kaddiew, Oct 1, 7:47pm
x1
It's a nice pickle, but very sweet. I've seen slight variations of her recipe - this one from her big red book:

Christmas Pickle–Alison Holst
8 c finely diced cucumber (unpeeled, seeds discarded))
¼ c salt (plain)
4 onions finely diced
2 – 3 red peppers finely diced
3 c sugar
1 tsp celery seed
1 tsp mustard seed
2 c wine (or white) vinegar
2 -3 Tbsp cornflour

Sprinkle chopped cucumber with salt and stand for 30 mins, stirring several times. Drain & rinse, discard liquid.

Put all ingredients except cornflour into large pot and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Mix cornflour with a little extra vinegar and thicken the mixture.
Pour into sterilised jars and seal.

PS as others have said, don't cook it beyond just bringing it to the boil.

cottagerose, Dec 20, 9:53am
Yes that's the one I used. Was just trying to copy and paste