Mushy braeburn apples

socram, Jul 27, 8:23am
I'm sure that when I first came to NZ, Braeburns were always large and tasty and quickly became a favourite. I'm sure there has been some regulation imposed to only offer smaller ones locally?

I hate mushy apples.

susan21, Jul 27, 9:52am
Come down to Hawkes Bay during the autumn. Main apple varieties are picked between Mid Feb and beginning of May. Pop into a roadside fruit stall. they are all over the place down here. Fresh, crisp juicy apples. fantastic!

kaddiew, Jul 27, 9:41pm
I detest mushy or flavourless apples, and in all the years I've been buying braeburns, no matter the source, I have never ever encountered one that wasn't very firm, and tart/sweet.

socram, Jul 30, 10:24am
As the OP is in Auckland City, probably victim to the appalling quality of much of the fruit and veg on offer at the major supermarkets. Prices are often sky high, even as the stuff is rotting on the shelves.

Celery that is more brown than white; disgusting carrots; mangoes at anything up to $7 each - which few people buy - then I presume they are just dumped. I won't even risk buying their apples.

Most root veg is way over priced so no wonder many opt for cheap takeaway food. As always, I bet the growers aren't getting good money.

pauline999, Jul 22, 8:06pm
Bought from countdown yesterday but bit into one and it was mushy texture and not a tart as I expected. 2nd one was the same, not really pleasant to eat. I have 6 of them left - just wondering what I can do with them as without the tartness I don't expect them to cook up well for apple pie or even an apple sauce. Any suggestions please ?

kaddiew, Jul 22, 8:33pm
That's very surprising for braeburn which are usually tart and very firm. If it's not worth taking them back, I would cook them up and add a BIG squeeze of lemon juice (and any spices you like), just as I did yesterday with some similarly mushy & tasteless Pacific Rose ones. Worked well.

rainrain1, Jul 23, 12:08am
Apple sponge recipe from the Edmonds book, It's always nice

wheelz, Jul 24, 12:12am
They will be fine for pie or sauce, just add little or no sugar, if already too sweet for your taste.
Apples are not in season. so never at their best from cool storage.

aktow, Jul 24, 12:20pm
it's funny but the only time i have eaten braeburn apples was when i was in america,,, my buddy there only eats nz apples,,, the braeburn apples there are big , sweet and juicy,,,

maynard9, Jul 24, 11:47pm
I know exactly what you mean.

My son and family live in California and everytime I go there I find the most delicious Braeburn, Granny Smiths and Kiwifruit.
So annoying - but he loves it.

I fly out in 87 days - so looking forward to another 'Pig out".

crazynana, Jul 25, 3:55am
I would just cook them as for stewed apples for a pie etc but don't add much/any sugar. I would just peel and slice them into a dish with a lid and maybe add a tablespoon of water and microwave on half power for 5 mins. Just keep doing that till they are cooked. I then place a plastic bag into the tin I would cook a pie in, freeze then when solid take out of the tin and keep in freezer till needed. That way you have the right amount of apple (or other fruit like rhubarb etc) for the pie made in that tin.

brouser3, Sep 25, 5:48pm
Yes -it seems that export fruit and veges are checked for having the correct sugar levels etc and then properly climate control stored whereas the ones sold here have often fallen out of spec and then just shoved in any spare cool store available which then isn't properly monitored before they are then dumped onto the shop shelves.