Low Carb Recipes

Page 1 / 2
buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:26am
This thread was started with the intention of helping someone who is trying low carb but needs some fresh, simple ideas for standby foods. Rather than get involved doing food that we have all been cooking for ever, these recipes are just a bit different and, as I said, simple.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:27am
Coleslaw
Ingredients: (No amounts. Make enough for the meal and maybe for another meal)
Cabbage - finely sliced
Red Cabbage - finely sliced. Optional and less than the cabbage
Red Capsicum
1 Carrot
Red Onion
Celery
Fresh Ginger
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)

Method:
1. Mix the two cabbages together and sprinkle with about ¼tspn salt and put aside
2. Finely slice Capsicum, Red Onion, Celery and Ginger
3. Grate Carrot
4. Squeeze cabbage (pick up a handful and squeeze, repeat until done) it is wet and fully massaged.
5. Add in the other ingredients and mix well with your hand
6. Pour in a couple of tablespoons of ACV and mix again

Serve:
Add Olive Oil on the plate when serving

This is an ideal, very low carb salad, to have with fried salmon or some other meat to end a 24 hour intermittent fast and you are only allowed 500cals.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:29am
Hollandaise Sauce (Quick)
150gms butter
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 egg yolks
1/2 tsp each salt and white pepper
In separate cups, melt the butter and heat the lemon juice,(hot not boiling) place egg yolks and seasonings into a bowl or food processor. TURN on the processor or stick blender and add hot lemon juice and then slowly add melted butter. Keep processor going for a minute after mixed.

geldof (55 ) 5:16 pm, Tue 21 Dec #18 - I have a small bowl attachment on my processor which I use.

Note: I use my milk creamer jug and stick blender

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:31am
PARMESAN CRUST QUICHE
This is a recipe I recently found when following another poster's thread. I've posted the original recipe but I was more interested in the parmesan crust. The filling can be whatever you like. I made it the other day with sautéed onion and steamed broccoli, cauliflower and leeks for a couple of lunches. It is delicious. Spinach would be nice.
Ingredients:
2 cups grated Parmesan cheese
**5 strips Bacon, cooked and diced**
Extra virgin olive oil
**About 12 skinny Asparagus spears cut into bite size pieces**
**About 3/4 cup onion, diced**
5 eggs
1 cup cream
**Basil
**Thyme
Pepper to taste
1 cup grated sharp white cheddar
** ingredients are totally interchangeable with whatever you have on hand that would go well together.
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 195C. Line a baking tray with baking paper, and spread grated parmesan out onto the paper evenly. Bake for about 7 min, until bubbly, but just before it starts to brown.
2. Remove from the oven and quickly transfer the baking paper with the bubbling parmesan. off of the baking sheet and onto another surface.
3. Wait 30 – 45 s, and then flip it so parmesan. side is down and fit it into your pie dish. Slowly peel back off the paper, and any cheese left hanging off the side of the pan can be folded over (slowly so it doesn’t tear) back onto the crust.
4. Meanwhile (you can probably start this once you have the parmesan in the oven), saute the Asparagus and Onion in some Olive Oil until cooked desired amount. Reserve the prettiest asparagus pieces for the top.
5. Place Asparagus/Onion, Bacon and then 1/2 cup grated Cheddar in the pie. Make egg mixture by beating Eggs, Cream, Herbs, and Pepper. Add egg mixture to the pie, top with the rest of cheese, and the reserved asparagus spears.
6. Very gently cover the parmesan crust edges with aluminum foil.
7. Bake at 180C for about 30-45 min or until set. The crust will melt again as it bakes. It is advisable to have something on the rack below in case of spills. The crust on the bottom of the quiche will completely melt back into the quiche, and taste super yummy. The crust that was exposed out of the egg mixture.
http://jenncuisine.com/2009/09/parmesan-crusted-quiche/
Obviously at this time of the year it would be a good idea to use some other vegetable as asparagus is not in season.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:32am
MASHED PUMPKIN
Obviously there are many different ways to cook pumpkin. I just find this quite nice to have instead of potatoes. And, like the other recipes as promised, it is easy.

Ingredients:
Pumpkin
Cream
2 Tb Butter
Salt and pepper

Method:

Steam the peeled and sliced pumpkin in a small amount of water or a steamer if you have one
When it is cooked drain and press lightly with a potato masher to release more liquid and drain that as well.
Add seasoning, Butter and Cream and mash

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:33am
ADOBO CHICKEN

Slightly more complicated but still simplicity itself and to die for, especially served with the mashed pumpkin, and lightly steamed carrots, Brussel sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower florets

I have varied my recipe slightly from the one I took it from. I make a note of my variations.

Ingredients:
Ingredients
4 Free-range chicken legs, cut into drumsticks and thighs(I only cut my serving)
12 Garlic Cloves - peeled
2 tsp Sea Salt (This important you need the lumps of salt not pouring salt)
1 tsp Soy Sauce
1 cup White Wine Vinegar or Rice Wine Vinegar (I used ACV)
12 Bay Leaves - fresh
1 tsp Black Peppercorns (can use up to 2tspns - note: I crack them first)
A big chunk of Fresh Ginger - Peeled and finely sliced and chunked up
Directions
1. Using a sharp meat cleaver or knife, remove the nub end from the drumsticks and cut the thighs in half through the bone. (I don't cut anything off and I only cut up my leg)
2. In a mortar and pestle, crush garlic and salt to a paste and mix in soy sauce. Rub this mix on to chicken pieces and leave to marinate for an hour.
3. Arrange chicken in a wide-based saucepan, add vinegar, bay leaves and peppercorns. Cover and bring to a boil then turn down to simmer for 30 minutes, basting the chicken occasionally, until the liquid has mostly evaporated and the chicken is tender.
4. It is here that I remove the chicken, take lid off , increase heat and reduce liquid till it is all bubbling because my pots don't lose liquid during cooking. then -
5. Turn the heat back up and turn the chicken so it colours and fries in the reduction. You can also grill it to brown and crisp up at this stage.
The trick
The meat should be cooked coloured and tender by the time the liquid has all but gone — so start with less vinegar and add more if the dish requires further cooking. If the meat is cooked before the liquid has fully evaporated, take it out and brown it under the grill while you reduce the liquor, then return the meat to the sauce and coat to serve.
Make it your way
Endlessly adaptable, the simplicity of adobo lends itself to experimentation and personal preference. Try duck, pork, fish, or prawns, eggplant, kumara, bok choy and even pineapple, adjusting the amount and the type of vinegar you use accordingly. Soy sauce is often used instead of salt, adding a depth of colour, and coconut milk can be used to finish off the dish. Adjust the flavour profile by adding fresh ginger or turmeric, use kaffir leaves as well as bay, add lime zest, a little fish sauce, or heat it up with fresh green chillies.

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/13302/Chicken-adobo/

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:41am
SUNFLOWER SEED PATE
I haven't made this one yet. I'm saving it for days at the beach over summer when I am supposed to supply nibbles for pre-dinner drinks (I usually only drink soda stream water)

Ingredients:
1½ cups Sunflower Seeds
Water
1 clove Garlic
1 tsp Lemon Zest
2 Tb Lemon Juice (or ACV)
½ tsp ground Cumin
2 Tb Olive Oil
2 Tb Greek Yoghurt
¼ tsp S & P to taste

Method:
1. Soak Sunflower Seeds for 2 hours in cold water
2. Drain and place in blender with Garlic, Lemon Zest, Juice (ACV) Cumin, Oil and Yoghurt
3. Blend
4. Season to taste

SERVE: With vegetables. Might also be nice with parmesan chips

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:53am
BULLETPROOF COFFEE - Serves 2

What can one say about this delicious version of black coffee?

Ingredients and Equipment:
3 Tb Coffee Beans
1 Tb Coconut Oil
1 Tb Butter
Cold water - brought to the boil then switched off. No extra boiling and don't use water that has already been boiled cause that is gross.
1 X 2 cup Plunger (I have a Bodum S/S plunger)
1 X S/S Milk Frother Cup
1 X Aero Press plunger. (Use a bigger plunger as an alternative and make up all the coffee in that)
Stick Blender
Cups

METHOD:
I use a plunger to make my coffee. If you are lucky enough to have an Espresso Machine then make it your way. The secret, as far as I am concerned is to ensure the coffee reaches you hot which is why I do a two part process. For this recipe I grind up 3 Tablespoons of coffee beans

Put the fats into the Milk Frothing Jug
2 Tb ground Coffee into the plunger with Hot water, then plunged
1 Tb ground Coffee into Aero Press over the Milk Frothing jug and pressed
Blend the coffee and fats with stick blender
Pour really hot coffee in plunger into cups
Pour the blended coffee from milk frothing jug into cups

Heavenly.
I understand that this is more complicated than usual and I am happy for anyone to do it their way. this way suits me best.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 4:58am
I have recently tried parmesan crisps. IMO they are brilliant. They serve the useful purpose of being a cracker when other crackers are unacceptable I haven't figured out how to make them in smallish sizes yet but if you want, you can experiment.

All you do is grate up parmesan and put into little piles on baking paper, on a baking tray and bake till melted and slightly brown around the edges.

This is one process I intend to perfect before summer rolls round and I am faced with having to find something else to put dips on.

timturtle, Jun 22, 7:04am
Blue cheese sauce.

150 ml Cream
50 ml Water
50g Blue Cheese ( I only use about 25-30 of the creamy one, not too strong)
Fresh Parsley

Heat cream and water till hot, add crumbled blue cheese, then cook until it is reduced to the right thickness.

If it doesn’t thicken up, then at the end add about 20g grated cheese ( not blue) and it will.

Take off the heat and add chopped parsley. This also adds to the visual of the sauce as it looks more like blue cheese.

I use this like a pasta sauce over chunks of cooked zucchini or add smoked chicken and mushrooms, would be nice over a medley of cooked vegetables as well.

The water is added so you can heat smoked chicken or ham before the reduction takes place.

timturtle, Jun 22, 7:15am
Breakfast slab (bacon & eggs on the go)

It makes a large slab & is handy to take to work. With a salad it's good for lunch/dinner too.
Ingredients.
150 g chopped bacon
100g chopped mushrooms
200 g cooked spinach, chopped & well drained
1 cup of grated cheese
10 eggs
Garlic pepper
salt
sliced tomato
line a baking dish with non stick paper, then spread over bacon & mushrooms (this helps hold the sides of the paper out) Mix eggs in a bowl to combine the yolks & whites, then add salt garlic pepper, spinach & cheese. Mix well then pour over the bacon & mushrooms. Spread out evenly & top with sliced tomato.
Bake around 180 degrees until just set.
I vary the ingredients according to what I have on hand . I often pop some grated carrot in & I have left out the mushrooms when I didn't have any.

Variations
ham & asparagus with Gruyere or blue cheese
chicken & char grilled capsicum
Wood smoked salmon, feta & spinach, with a little fresh coriander.
Hope you like it & thanks again timturtle.

timturtle, Jun 22, 7:18am
Must start making this again

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:01pm
QUICK MIDDAY CHEESE & BUTTER SANDWICH SNACK
This is the one recipe that got all those opposed to Paleo/LCHF knickers in a knot. The Eeewww and cries of derision were legendary. However. Here goes because when I am going to be travelling or out and about for long periods I pack this snack just in case.

Ingredients:
Two slices of cheddar Cheese
A thick, matching sized slice of Butter

Note:
Preferably have the Cheese at room temperature before eating because cheese, like everything else, is way more tasty at room temperature rather than chilled.

Method:
1. Place the thick slice of butter on one slice of Cheese
2. Put the other slice of Cheese on top
3. Voila - one Cheese and Butter sandwich

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:32pm
BEEF BONE BROTH/STOCK
Lots of stews and sauces taste 100% better when made with good quality stock.

Equipment:
1 X Crock Pot
Strainer -
(Note: I prefer the crock pot rather than the modern slow cookers. It's highest temp is 80C and can be left going for the full 48 hours. If you only have a slow cooker adapt. I think that maybe just 24 hours at low is enough)

Ingredients:
Marrow Bone - get the butcher to slice it up into smaller pieces. Freeze excess for future use
1 or 2 onions
Vegetable Scraps -e.g. Leaves of leeks and celery, Stalks & some leaves from Broccoli and Cauliflower, cabbage stalk, Carrot skins (can be added later), etc.
2 TB ACV (apple cider vinegar) - Helps dissolve the bones
**Crushed Garlic
**finely sliced Ginger
Cold Water to cover

Note: - I don't use green capsicum because it leaves an unpleasant flavour and aroma imo.

Method:
1. Roast enough of the Marrow Bone to fit comfortably in your crock, at about 150C for 1hour (This step is optional as well)
2. Scrap it all into the crock pot, fat and all
3. Add roughly chopped the onion, skin and all (take of the root end)
4. Add roughly chopped vegetable scraps
5. Add ACV
6. Cover with cold water
5. Put lid on and cook at high till 'boiling'
6. Turn to low and continue cooking for up to 48 hours
7. Cool before straining. Make sure you press as much liquid out of the solids.
8. Tip into freezer containers and freeze when cool.

Notes:
. Even though I have a big garden and my own rubbish tip I stick the left over solid waste into a plastic bag and freeze and put out with my rubbish
. I have about 16 Tupperware Square rounds which I use to freeze the broth/stock in. It is often too much for one meal so I let it defrost partially and use that liquid and put the remaining frozen stock back into the freezer for later
. smaller used and cleaned yoghurt containers with lids work good for this as well

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:32pm
MISO and BROTH/STOCK SOUPS
Now that you can make bone broth it is just an easy step to making Miso and Bone Broth soup

Ingredients:
Appropriate amount of Bone Broth
A couple of Tbs Miso Paste
A small Smattering of sliced Vegetables or Chinese Green

Method:
1.Stir fry the Chopped Vegetables (note Miso soups only use small quantities of vegetables and usually leafy and only one sort of vegetable, rather than a medley. For instance garlic leaves (not from the garlic plant but a herb) is divine as the vegetable in this soup
2. Add the Broth and bring to the boil
3. Turn down heat and add Miso paste
4. It is ready to eat when Miso is fully dissolved

Notes:
There is nothing to stop you from adding small amounts of Chicken or other meat

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:33pm
CHICKEN BONE BROTH
Lots of stews and sauces taste 100% better when made with good quality stock.

Equipment:
1 X Crock Pot
Strainer -
(Note: I prefer the crock pot rather than the modern slow cookers. It's highest temp is 80C and can be left going for the full 48 hours. If you only have a slow cooker adapt. I think that maybe just 24 hours at low is enough)

Ingredients:
Range Chicken Carcasses
1 or 2 onions - skin removed because the stock will go a deep brown
Vegetable Scraps -e.g. Leaves of leeks and celery, Stalks & some leaves from Broccoli and Cauliflower, cabbage stalk, etc.
2 TB ACV (apple cider vinegar) - Helps dissolve the bones
**Crushed Garlic
**finely sliced Ginger
Cold Water to cover

Method:
1. Break up the Carcasses and place in Crock Pot
2. Add roughly chopped the onion,
3. Add roughly chopped vegetable scraps
4. Add ACV
5. Cover with cold water
6. Put lid on and cook at high till 'boiling'
7. Turn to low and continue cooking for up to 48 hours - I usually only do this for 24hrs
8. Cool before straining. Make sure you press as much liquid out of the solids.
9. Tip into freezer containers and freeze when cool.

Notes:
Clean yoghurt containers with lids make good freezer container
I ensure I have gotten as much liquid from the solids before putting into a plastic bag and freezing and throwing out in the rubbish

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:45pm
POACHED EGGS & SMOKED SALMON BREAKFAST
This is simple.
I make the salad at its simplest. You can make it as fancy as you want.
Thanks to a discussion about egg cookers on these boards I was encouraged to buy one. The Sunbeam on boils 4 eggs and has a poaching tray for 3. I use it constantly because the eggs come out perfectly every single time.
And yes, I know it is cheating but simplicity was my aim, not being the best cook in NZ

Equipment:
One Sunbeam Egg Cooker
Measuring Cup (It doesn't come with one so I got a medicine measure)

Ingredients:
Butter or other fat to grease the poaching tray
3 Eggs
Smoked Salmon (I watch the 300g pkts of off cuts. When they are on special I buy 3 or 4 pkts. They last well beyond their use by date if kept sealed and refrigerated)
A serving of Coleslaw (recipe in this thread) or other salad green
Tomato
Olive Oil for salad
**Hollandaise Sauce (Doesn't have to be warm. I use leftover Hollandaise cold on hot eggs. Works out just fine)

Method:
Pretty self explanatory really -
Cook eggs (70mls water) in egg cooker
Meantime plate up salmon and salad so that it looks attractive
Dress salad with olive oil
When Eggs are cooked place attractively on plate
Put some dabs of Hollandaise on the eggs
Enjoy

Note:
The eggs can be precooked/poached ahead of time and stored covered in the refrigerator until meal time. The entire dish can be eaten cold.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 10:49pm
Hi timturtle

It is lovely to see your additions to this thread. I always appreciated your input in the low carb blog when it was up and running. I hope you have more simple, but slightly less well travelled recipes to put in here.

One recipe that should be posted in here is mayonnaise. I've been making it for so long I don't think I even have a recipe anymore. If you could post one that would be brilliant.

In the meantime I will haul out my Sauerkraut recipes and adapt for an agee jar. Might take me a few days because I have stuff to do. Sauerkraut is wonderful, fresh and crispy and very, very easy to make with a sharp knife or mandolin.

buzzy110, Jun 22, 11:16pm
PAN FRIED FISH and SAUTEEING MEAT
I think I have to mention pan frying fish and even wiener schnitzel in this thread.

Technically Paleo doesn't support the use of flours and grains but there are just some foods that should be made an exception.

Pan fried fish, if not dredged in some sort of sealing medium, sort of 'steam' and get a bit tough when frying. The same goes for schnitzel and sauteeing meat. I think it is only me but I can tell the difference in texture.

To this end I still dredge some foods in flour. BUT I don't use flour because it goes on too thick. I prefer RICE FLOUR. It creates a barely-there sealing cover and stops fish, especially, from getting a 'tough', dry mouth feel.

Two more things I have found:

FROZEN FISH - I never totally defrost it. Cook it on a low heat whilst still a bit frozen and don't cook all the way through if you can manage it without blatantly under-cooking it too much. It continues to cook on the plate and becomes beautiful and flakey with no hint of 'toughness' or dryness.

MEAT - Always bring to room temperature before starting to cook

buzzy110, Jun 22, 11:30pm
QUICK VEGETABLE STEW
I am an afficionado of vegetables. I have more vegetables. This is a good way to use up vegetables as well as use stock/bone broth. It is great if in a hurry.
Ingredients: (miso is optional in this)
Sliced - Your choice I usually use most of what I've listed
Onion
Celery
Red Capsicum
Big lump Fresh Ginger
Garlic
Carrot
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Mushrooms
Chinese Broccoli (It is tough if the white flower have blossomed)
Pumpkin
Stock/Bone Broth
Handful of sliced leftover meat (I usually do this with left over lamb roast)
Couple tbs Fat - lard/duckfat/ghee/etc
Seasoning

Method:
1. In a large pot heat the fat
2. Start adding the sliced vegetable chunks starting with those that take the longest
3. Keep adding the vegetables until they are all in the pot and have been well coated in fat and are hot
4. Add the stock and seasoning, mix well, cover and bring to the boil
5. For me it is cooked basically about then but you may wish to let it simmer for a little longer
6. Add the cooked meat and reheat
7. Serve in a large soup bowl and eat with knife and fork and soup spoon (meal and soup all in one) or chopsticks and soup spoon.

timturtle, Jun 23, 3:08am
Mayonnaise (easy)

One egg (fresh, free range)
1 tablespoon of white wine vinegar
Juice from half a lemon
Salt and white pepper
1 teaspoon of dijon mustard (or any mustard you like)
1 cup of light olive oil (do not use extra virgin as this is too strong tasting)

Put in the order listed into a stick blender bowl then blend with the stick blender raising it slowly. Very easy

geldof, Jun 23, 4:08am
Try substituting some of the olive oil for some bacon fat/grease. (just warm til melted) A Tbsp is enough, though more is good.

Baconaise. YUM

timturtle, Jun 23, 4:32am
Lol, I save my bacon fat to pan fry my cabbage in. BUT thanks for that tip! Always learning ! Cheers

timturtle, Jun 23, 4:36am
Easy recipe - Pan fry sliced cabbage or sliced brussel sprouts in bacon fat and some bacon - even the kids will like it

timturtle, Jun 23, 5:42am
Another staple for me is Cauliflower mash and rice. I have mash just about every day. I cook a full cauliflower and turn it into mash then freeze it in meal size portions