Recipes using frozen berries

chesty1, Feb 21, 7:02pm
Do you have a recipe for using frozen berries (strawberries and boysenberries) for a dessert? Ta

valentino, Feb 21, 9:27pm
This is absolutely tops, you can vary berries to suit but quantities remain the same.

Blackberry Pudding

3 eggs
½ cup caster sugar
1 tbsp cornflour
¾ cup self-raising flour
1 tsp butter
¼ cup boiling water
1/3 cup caster sugar extra
½ cup water
300g frozen blackberries
500g frozen mixed berries
¼ cup blackberry jam.

Preheat oven to 180c.
Grease 25cm X 30cm swiss roll dish, line with baking paper.
Beat eggs in small bowl with electric beaters until thick and creamy.
Gradually add sugar – 1 tbsp at a time beating until sugar dissolves between each addition.
Transfer to large bowl.
Fold triple – sifted flours into the egg mixture.
Pour combined butter and boiling water down side of bowl, fold into mixture.
Pour mixture into baking dish, bake uncovered about 15 minutes.
Turn onto wire rack to cool.
Meanwhile, place extra sugar and water in medium saucepan, bring to the boil.
Stir in fruit, return to the boil.
Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes or until fruit thaws.
Strain over medium bowl, reserve liquid and berries separately.
Line a 1-litre (4 cup) pudding basin with plastic wrap, extending wrap 10cm over side of basin.
Cut a circle of cake slightly smaller than top edge of basin. Cut another circle the same size as the base of basin. Cut remaining cake into 10cm pieces, place small circle into base of basin and use pieces to line the side of basin. Pour 2/3 cup of the reserved syrup into small jug, reserve.
Fill basin with berries, cover with remaining syrup, top with large cake circle.
Cover pudding with overhanging plastic wrap, weight pudding with saucer, refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
Stir jam and 2 tbsp of reserved syrup in small saucepan until heated through.
Turn pudding onto serving plate, brush with remaining reserved syrup then jam mixture. Serve with whipped cream or a nice creamy white sauce.

valentino, Feb 21, 9:30pm
This looks impressive.

Mixed Berry Semifreddo

This recipe looks impressive but is remarkably easy to make. Serve topped with extra berries and dust with icing sugar.

Ingredients
3 eggs
2 egg yolks, extra
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup Caster Sugar
500g frozen mixed berries
2 cups cream
Raspberries and blueberries, for garnish
Method
Combine eggs, extra yolks, vanilla extract and Caster sugar in a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of simmering water and whisk for 5 minutes or until frothy. The heat helps to increase the volume of the whipped mixture.
Remove from heat and beat with an electric mixer until thick and pale. Lightly crush 300g of mixed berries and fold through egg mixture.
Beat cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold through egg mixture.
Line a 26cm x 10cm loaf pan with plastic wrap. Lay remaining berries at base of pan.
Pour over Semifreddo. Cover with foil and freeze overnight.
Remove from pan and decorate with berries. Enjoy cut into thick slices.

juliewn, Feb 24, 1:53pm
My favourite ways.

Add 2 cups of frozen berries to a chocolate brownie recipe just before putting the mix into the tin to bake - no need to increase the dry ingredients at all.

Also, add the same amount to a chocolate self-saucing pudding batter before placing it into a bowl/casserole dish to microwave or bake.

I've used my frozen boysenberries and blackberries for both recipes - no need to thaw the berries. they make for a delicious result. :-)

peoplespace, Feb 26, 3:08am
I scatter whole berries over the base before pouring in the filling when making a baked cheesecake.

mak47, Feb 26, 4:45am
I make Panacotta, which is very easy to make. Then I defrost the berries with added sugar (naughty I know! ) and limoncello liquer and serve it with the Panacotta. Delicious!

moparpete, Feb 27, 9:08am
Summer berry trifle, I use a trifle recipe from Kiwifave website, drouse my sponge with lemonchello and use frozen berries along with custard and cream . I make a syrup of sugar and water put my frozen berries in it to heat it up a bit then cool totally and proceed with the trifle assembleing . Delecious.

dolphin101, Mar 12, 12:31am
what is lemonchello please

blands70, Oct 16, 9:11am
Limoncello - an Italian lemon liqueur