Blackcurrant recipes?

sarahw2, Jan 5, 10:17pm
I have 2 ice cream containers full. Does anyone have any trusty recipes to make with them? Never cooked or baked with blackcurrants before. Thanks.

davidt4, Jan 5, 10:26pm
Blackcurrants have a strong flavour so they need to be accompanied by gentle flavours to balance them out. You can add them to apples i n a crumble or a pie, or try this delicious pudding, which I was given by a chef many years ago.

Vinnies’ Semolina Pudding

2 1/4c milk
pinch salt
1c semolina
100g sugar
1 tab butter
1 tab dark rum
zest 1 orange
2 eggs, beaten
blackcurrants

Heat milk and salt, stir in semolina and stir over heat until thick. Off heat add sugar, butter, rum, zest and eggs.

In ramekins or a gratin dish place a thick layer of berries on bottom, pour in semolina and bake in a bain marie 150C 35 – 40 min until set.

Serve with star anise custard:

1 ¼ c milk
1 ¼ c cream
4 egg yolks
4 star anise crushed
½ c sugar.

Make custard and strain.

valentino, Jan 5, 10:39pm
Makes superb Jam.

I love homemade Blackcurrant Jam.

Lovely used then in tarts or a Louise Cake.

Yep, very nice.

Cheers

flier3, Jan 5, 11:00pm
Oooh - make some jam! My favourite kind!

meoldchina, Jan 5, 11:11pm
The simplest and tastiest Blackcurrant Jam.
300g blackcurrants
300g sugar (gran or caster)
Juice of 1 lemon

Remove stalks from blackcurrants. Place in a saucepan with 250ml water and bring to the boil. Simmer 20 mins or until the skins are tender and the liquid has almost evaporated.
Add the sugar and lemon juice. Bring to the boil and stir regularly. After about 30-mins you can test for consistency by placing a teaspoonful onto a saucer and leave in the freezer for 5-minutes. If the jam wrinkles when you run your finger across the surface, it's done! Leave the jam to cool in the saucepan for a few minutes and then pour into hot, clean jars and seal immediately.
Surprisingly, all these blackcurrants only make about 450ml of jam - approx 1-2 jars, but it is delicious.

gilligee, Jan 6, 2:04am
Freeze then as is and they are available all winter.

harrislucinda, Jan 6, 2:27am
or make cordial drink

sarahw2, Nov 7, 7:07am
Thankyou! Will try this.