Chocolate/cheese truffles.circa 1970's

fpress, May 8, 5:56am
Does anyone remember these/have a recipe for these. I think they were popular in the late 70's. Or am I dreaming.
My brothers ex wife's parents made some for a family occasion back in those days. I was a child and remember how yum they were.

autumnwinds, May 8, 5:58am
Was it these truffles?
** A packet of Tim tams, crushed. 250 grams of softened cream cheese. Mix together and then cover with coconut or cocoa or crushed nuts or freeze and then dip in melted chocolate.
Choc mint slices are good to use with the cream cheese as well. Add fruit and nuts as extra flavour if wanted. This is a base recipe that you can then change to what ever you want to add.

So easy and quick to make.

jobb (224 224 positive feedback) 1:27 pm, Sun 3 Dec #2**

fpress, May 8, 6:35am
No such thing as Tim Tams in NZ in the 70's . so no. Thanks though.

wheelz, May 8, 7:19am
Chocolate cream cheese truffles
1/2 c cocoa (for rolling). 112g dark chocolate. 225 g cream cheese( room temp). 3 1/2 c icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla. 1/4 tsp salt
Pour cocoa into shallow pie pan, set aside.
Chop chocolate into small pieces, microwave until melted, stirring after every 30 seconds to prevent overheating. Set chocolate aside, let it cool until at room temperature, but still liquid.
In large bowl of electric mixer, combine softened cream cheese and icing sugar. Beat mixture medium speed for a minute or two, until well-combined.
Stop mixer, add melted chocolate, vanilla, and salt. Beat until combined, scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
Cover with gladwrap, chill until firm enough to scoop, about 20-30 minutes.
Once firm but not rock-hard, scoop it into small 1-inch balls using a teaspoon. Roll balls in cocoa, place onto baking paper. Store truffles in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to two weeks, for best taste and texture, serve at room temperature.
Can add additional flavouring extracts, citrus zest, nuts, dried fruit, or coconut. Try dipping them dark or white chocolate instead

fpress, May 8, 7:27am
Thanks wheelz. were they sometimes made with blue cheese? I remember them having a sharp bite, and wondered if they had blue cheese in them.

wheelz, Sep 25, 7:06am
Cream cheese does have a bite. Especially to a child's taste buds. can't imagine blue cheese and chocolate!
Chopped Crystallised ginger would be devine in them!