Alison Holst: Fly Cemetary Recipe Please

clair4, Oct 28, 10:10am
does anyone know which of her books, this recipe is in?
I wish to buy the book. Thanks

crazynana, Oct 29, 11:58pm
x1
I have this recipe in two of her books but one was published in 1987. Alison Holst's cooking class book two and also in her book published in 1993. Alison Holst Everyday Cookery. They are both old books and I don't know if the r
recipe is in any newer one. The recipe is:. Pastry. 1 1/2 cups flour 100 grams butter and cold water to mix. Roll out. Filling:. 3 cups cake crumbs, 1 cup currants, 1 cup sultanas, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp mixed spice, 1 cup drained stewed apple, 1/2 tsp each vanilla and rum essence. Spread onto half pastry. Top with other half, prick the top evenly and brush with beaten egg if liked. Bake 200C 45-50 mins. Cool in tin up to 12 hours pressing the top with weight (fruit cans) on a piece of cardboard so it flattens evenly. Hope this helps. You may pick up the book at an op shop or on here.

crazynana, Oct 30, 2:49am
There are lots of her books on here. just type in her name and they come up. There is her Ultimate book listed and it has 1300 recipes chosen by her in it and as this is one of her favourite recipes it is probably in there. Just ask in the questions. Two or three of it listed but one is $12.00

245sam, Oct 30, 2:49am
A recipe called "Fruit Square", but the same as posted by crazynana is in 2 of Alison's later books:
page 237 "The Best of Alison Holst" [1991] - a red hard-covered book - there are several listings of this book on TradeMe.
and
page 131 "Alison Holst Cooks Warming food for cooler days" [2006] - a soft-covered book, also red + blue - there's at least one of these books listed currently listed on TradeMe .

Do check out the listings for Alison's books here on TradeMe - IMO there are some very good buys to be had.

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Oct 30, 2:50am
Fruit Square as posted at #2 is not in Alison's Ultimate Collection book. :-))

245sam, Oct 30, 3:12am
Further to #5 - there is a fruit square recipe in Alison's Ultimate Collection but it is quite different. "MInted Fruit Square" with 1 cup fresh mint leaves and no cake crumbs or apple - if anyone wants this recipe please just ask. :-))

clair4, Oct 30, 3:56am
Thanks all. I have bought the Complete Home Bakery and not in that one. Waiting on 100 cakes and Biscuits which I have bought on TM and will search out a couple of her old books which I have. I did see the recipe in a book in the bookshop. Went back the next day but it was gone. Thanks anyway for putting the recioe here. I have searched on google and there are quite a few on there, so I will have to decide which one to make. I just seem to
have a craving for fly cemetary at the moment.

buzzy110, Oct 30, 4:16am
Fly Cemetery - also called Eccles Cake

crazynana, Oct 30, 10:48pm
Eccles Cake is not the Alison Holst recipe. Hers is a shortcake with fruit and cake crumbs in it. Eccles are usually made with flaky pastry but are still often called fly cemetery.

autumnwinds, Dec 7, 9:47am
You might like to try this fruit slice - I found it in one of those "support your local kindy/school/whatever" books, but THIS one is by Joan, wife of Jim Bolger, an ex-NZ PM. And it's soft, and delicious!

Joan Bolger's FRUIT SPICE SLICE
Base:
150 gms (5 oz) butter
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoon milk
2 cups flour
Cream butter and sugar, add all other ingredients.
Roll into loose mass, divide into thirds.
Press two-thirds into base of greased slice tin, cover with filling mixture.
Reserve other third of base mixture for topping.
Filling:
225 gms (8 oz) sultanas (I use some currants, in the 25 gm)
1 good teaspoon butter
1/2 cup sugar
1 good teaspoon flour
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon cocoa
1 teaspoon mixed spice

Put all ingredients into small pot, bring to boil, simmer briefly until thickened.
Cool a little, spread over base.
Crumble reserved third of base over the top.
Bake at 160 0C (350 0 F) for approximately 30 minutes (will set on cooling).
Cut into slices or squares before completely cool.