Heaps of eggs to use up

dollarreserves, May 10, 10:11pm
i like to bake cakes and bikkies more than cooking meal type stuff but i have a ton of eggs to use up as my chickens lay non stop. what can i make to use them all up? i can google the recipe but if you can tell me things to make using eggs that would be great thanks!

245sam, May 10, 10:50pm
dollaarreserves, so are you wanting baking suggestions or meal ideas or both?
A few ideas that spring to mind are sponge cakes, pavlovas and to use the leftover egg yolks, make lemon (or other citrus) curd/honey which is a lovely pavlova topping and/or if you make a good quantity of the curd/honey try freezing it; to use whole eggs try making Scotch eggs (eggs wrapped in sausagemeat, crumb-coated then microwaved, baked or fried), quiche, bacon and egg pie, souffle, baked egg custard (with or without e. g. rice, sago, macaroni... ) - there are lots and lots of uses for eggs and here's a link that you should find useful:-

http://www.eggs.org.nz/

lavender32, May 10, 11:45pm
We just give ours away to friends & family : )

mike844, May 10, 11:49pm
sell them then and make some one else happy too mine have gone off the lay and still people ring me for more of them

lilyfield, May 11, 12:58am
sell them Or break and freeze yolks and whites separately in small batches.

barloo, May 11, 3:30am
make muffins, pancakes and b and e pies for later lunches and dinners and for when visitors arrive.

barloo, May 11, 3:32am
in soup just before serving, lightly beat and egg and slowly pour into soup and stir in using a long knife or chop stick to give you long stands of egg into your soup:)

julmar, May 11, 3:50am
creamy quiches. yum

mrsdoobercoons, May 11, 5:03am
frittata

lizab, May 11, 6:21am
brownies

cookessentials, May 11, 7:59am
Lemon butter/lemon cheese is always lovely, especially with fine strips of lemon zest throughout. Our girls have just stopped laying for the winter and moulting to boot! you could stuff a matress with the feathers LOL

bullock123, May 11, 8:19am
You can freeze them. I freeze the egg whites and yolks separately.
As long as they are brought back to room temp before using.
they are fine to use for pavlova, cream brulee etc... ... .

redrustie, May 11, 10:04am
I make a yummy egg curry when i have heaps! I also freeze them in the summer, by whisking them slightly and adding either salt or sugar, or separate yolks and whites into separate bags. How come your chickens are still laying so many in this weather? They should be going through a moult!

deus701, May 11, 10:29am
egg-cellent ideas!

wellygoggles, May 11, 6:38pm
I use 8 eggs in a frittatarecipe from Greggs website using their smoked garlic & herb seasoning. All you need in it is pumpkin and capsicums - it's yum yum, pigs bum!

lizab, May 12, 12:02am
our chooks are still laying too. When we get a clucky chook we buy day old chicks, remove the clucky chook's eggs and replace with 13 lovely little hen chicks! Our pullets are laying now too. My son wanted a rooster for Xmas so we didn't have to buy chicks anymore - lo and behold the other day, we found a clucky chook with a nest of eggs hatching - so we now have 4 chicks - my son's happy that the rooster is 'working'! !

dollarreserves, May 12, 2:54am
thats alot people. i didnt know you could freeze even. our chooks live in a mansion that hubby built with pink batts and expol underfloor stuff so maybe the moult is later cos their house is so tropical

libra29, May 12, 3:00am
wish you lived closer as I would love to buy free range eggs off you, I buy them from the supermarket but would prefer to know exactely where they are comming from

tixy, May 12, 3:14am
I have a recipe somewhere for pickled eggs (and an odd sounding one for beetroot eggs! ) which another trader sent me. I can post them for you if you like.

My hens are moulting too Cooksessentials, every time I walk in to the shed I think one of them has exploded! Feathers for miles.

paghan, Apr 22, 10:17pm
LOL... . Thats just too cute! ! ! !

If you do end up selling some I would be more than happy to buy some, I love free range but when I usually by 30 at a time it is too expensive to buy free range.