Feijoa chutney

cottagerose, Apr 18, 3:25am
Does anyone have a Feijoa chutney recipe they have made which was nice. I've never made this before but have been told it's a nice chutney. Thankyou

davidt4, Apr 18, 4:00am
Roasted Feijoa Chutney (Alexa Johnston)

This is a very large recipe, which fills about a dozen jars, so you may want to make a smaller batch.

3 kg feijoas 
1 kg red onions
5 large sweet lemons
8 large green chillies
2 kg white sugar
5 tsp sea salt
300 ml cider vinegar
1 cinnamon quill
6 green cardamom pods
6 black cardamom pods
2 tsp dried chilli flakes

Getting ready
The night before you will cook the chutney: 
1. Put the unpeeled feijoas through the mincer, or whiz them in batches in the food processor. You don’t want a complete puree, just a lumpy sludge. 
2. Do the same with the red onions and the whole lemons. (It’s a good idea to cut the lemons into quarters and flick out any pips first.) If you like a lumpier texture, you could just chop everything fairly finely with a knife, and I sometimes do that with a few of the feijoas and one lemon.  
3. Remove the stems from the green chillies, cut them in half and flick out the seeds. (If you do this under a running cold tap you will avoid chilli burns on your fingers.) 
4. Put the prepared fruit, onions and chillies into a large bowl with the salt and vinegar and pour over the sugar. Cover the bowl and leave on the bench overnight. 

Cooking the chutney
1. Preheat the oven to 356º F / 180º C. 
2. Give the mixture in the bowl a good stir, add the cinnamon, cardamoms and the chillies and pour it carefully into a roasting dish. The dish can be quite full since the mixture will reduce in volume as it cooks.
3. Put it in the oven and cook for 2 -3 hours. Give it a stir with a wooden spoon every half hour or so.  It is cooked when the mixture is a reddish brown and most of the moisture has evaporated.
4. Put it into clean jars, seal and leave for at least a week before eating. This allows the flavours to mellow a little. lIt will keep for at least a year in a cool, dark place. Makes about 6 pints / 4 litres of chutney.

samanya, Apr 18, 4:06am
I've made this one of Digby Law's & I like it.
1kg Feijoas
500g onions
500g raisins
500g pitted dates
500g brown sugar
1 tab ground ginger
1 tab curry powder
1 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tspn cayenne
4 tspns salt
4 cups malt vinegar

wipe the Feijoas & trim the ends & finely slice them by hand. Finely chop the onions & coarsely chop the raisins & dates. Combine all of the ingredients in a large saucepan & cook very gently for 1.5 - 2 hours until the chutney is thick making sure it doesn't catch on the bottom.
Spoon into hot clean jars & seal.
Makes about 3 litres.

unknowndisorder, Apr 18, 5:54am
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/772313564.jpg Haven't made it, but came in a packet of Rogers spice I bought.

cottagerose, Apr 20, 2:55am
Thankyou everyone. I haven't made it yet but your recipes are a great help

lynja, Apr 20, 7:17pm
Thank you samanya. I made the recipe you posted yesterday. It has turned out perfectly, and initial tastings are delicious.

samanya, Apr 20, 10:44pm
That's great lynja, I'm pleased that you like it.
I'm planning to make davidt4's recipe to try too, as that sounds delicious as well. (my Feijoas are very late this year) so still waiting.

suzanna, Apr 21, 5:02am
A brilliant recipe thanks davidt4 particularly as is oven based which meant I wasn't kitchen bound watching a stovetop. I have found somebody in Christchurch selling supermarket bags of huge flavoursome feijoas for $10 a supermarket bag equivalent so looking for different feijoa recipes and this one was great and not too sweet.

uote=davidt4]Roasted Feijoa Chutney (Alexa Johnston)

This is a very large recipe, which fills about a dozen jars, so you may want to make a smaller batch.

3 kg feijoas 
1 kg red onions
5 large sweet lemons
8 large green chillies
2 kg white sugar
5 tsp sea salt
300 ml cider vinegar
1 cinnamon quill
6 green cardamom pods
6 black cardamom pods
2 tsp dried chilli flakes

Getting ready
The night before you will cook the chutney: 
1. Put the unpeeled feijoas through the mincer, or whiz them in batches in the food processor. You don’t want a complete puree, just a lumpy sludge. 
2. Do the same with the red onions and the whole lemons. (It’s a good idea to cut the lemons into quarters and flick out any pips first.) If you like a lumpier texture, you could just chop everything fairly finely with a knife, and I sometimes do that with a few of the feijoas and one lemon.  
3. Remove the stems from the green chillies, cut them in half and flick out the seeds. (If you do this under a running cold tap you will avoid chilli burns on your fingers.) 
4. Put the prepared fruit, onions and chillies into a large bowl with the salt and vinegar and pour over the sugar. Cover the bowl and leave on the bench overnight. 

Cooking the chutney
1. Preheat the oven to 356º F / 180º C. 
2. Give the mixture in the bowl a good stir, add the cinnamon, cardamoms and the chillies and pour it carefully into a roasting dish. The dish can be quite full since the mixture will reduce in volume as it cooks.
3. Put it in the oven and cook for 2 -3 hours. Give it a stir with a wooden spoon every half hour or so.  It is cooked when the mixture is a reddish brown and most of the moisture has evaporated.
4. Put it into clean jars, seal and leave for at least a week before eating. This allows the flavours to mellow a little. lIt will keep for at least a year in a cool, dark place. Makes about 6 pints / 4 litres of chutney.[/quote]

cottagerose, Sep 30, 5:11pm
I made digby laws recipe yesterday's. It's ok but not my favourite chutney