Why does my jam end up sugary?

enterprise3, May 10, 8:49pm
all my jam shrinks in the jars and ends up sugary. What am I doing wrong. I live in Central otago and always have tree ripened fruit to make my jam. Can I boil it all up again?

amazing_grace, May 10, 9:08pm
Are you dissolving the sugar in the jam before bringing to the boil? I think if you add the sugar to the boiling fruit it might go crystalised.

indy95, May 10, 9:20pm
Jam usually crystallises because the sugar has not dissolved before the mixture is allowed to come to the boil. It is really important to make sure that every grain of sugar has dissolved. The shrinkage usually happens because the jar is not well sealed enough. If you want to store your jam or whatever you are making for some time it's best to make sure it is really well sealed with airtight lids or with preserving wax if you are using cellophane covers.

Hope this will be some help.

jag5, May 10, 9:23pm
Just boil up a jar again as and when you need one. Wouldn't do them all at once.

I have never had a problem with this. Are you using too much sugar perhaps? I know most old recipes say pound for pound sugar to fruit, but these days that is way too much. 1/2 to 3/4 seems to be the ratio. I bring the fruit to the boil, then add the sugar, then boil until done. Perhaps you are also over boiling. Do you do the test for setting?

indy95, May 10, 9:26pm
Sorry, enterprise3, I've only just noticed the second half of your post. If the jam still has a good flavour you could probably reheat it slowly with extra water and maybe use it as a base for steamed or sponge puddings or as a sauce. If you still want to use it as a spread it may be a good idea to reheat to dissolve the sugar and then freeze it and defrost as you need it.

elliehen, Apr 19, 3:52am
Don't forget the idea, often mentioned here, to store your jam in ice-cream containers in the freezer, instead of jars. It's so easy to fill just one jar at a time as needed. (Doesn't freeze because of the high sugar content).